PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ new CAT

3in20
04-18-2005, 06:39 PM
I have been away from boating for 12 years, really miss it ALOT, grew up boating mostly Blythe, Parker and Havasu. The last few years of my boating life were spent at Mead and Mojave. Havasu party scene is just too unpredictable; two impressionable young daughters, you know how it is. Last boat was a 21' Hallett vector with 400 HP and Bravo One. I am leaning towards a CAT, must be single engine due to budget constraints. My budget is seems to be limiting me to 600-700HP. I will be mostly doing Mojave and Mead. Typical boating day would be fast cruise to Willow from Katherines or Boulder to Big Sandy and beyond. spend day hanging out with family and fast cruise back. I have always hated bowriders but am warming up to the cuddy/ open idea. Most builders are telling me that CATS are the way to go. Any info on the Ilmore 625 would also be helpful. Will be ordering new rig in next week or two and am a bit apprehensive about the whole CAT thing.
Thanks for the input

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 06:42 PM
That price for that much HP go with twin wacka's and leave the crowd behind......

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 06:46 PM
You know I'm gonna tell you to buy a Conquest :D :D :D

Goodtime$
04-18-2005, 07:00 PM
The conquest is the best deck out there, bar none.
If I were shopping I wouldnt look passed the many used 25/26 daytonas and Magic 28 cats...if your set on new, our 27 runs high 80s on 500hp. The last one we built, open bow 625EFI all the goodies on an extreme triple, atleast 20k less than most other builders out there. PM for more details, best of luck on your decision. contact your local insurance agent.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2142Picture_019.jpg

slink
04-18-2005, 07:12 PM
You mentioned "budget". Have you checked insurance quotes for a cat with that HP? Just a thought.

BoatFloating
04-18-2005, 07:20 PM
The conquest is the best deck out there, bar none.
If I were shopping I wouldnt look passed the many used 25/26 daytonas and Magic 28 cats...if your set on new, our 27 runs high 80s on 500hp. The last one we built, open bow 625EFI all the goodies on an extreme triple, atleast 20k less than most other builders out there. PM for more details, best of luck on your decision. contact your local insurance agent.
So what do you consider high 80's????? 84.5?????? So a 470 HP HP500 is running in the high 80's on a 27' boat???? Intresting is that with interior and fumes in January in the ocean?????

3in20
04-18-2005, 07:31 PM
I was forwarned about the insurance and am awaiting quotes. 3,000 is what I have been told to expect. It is what it is, you have to pay to play these days anyway you should see my workerscomp, group health and business liability premiums! my agent should throw in the boat insurance for free considering how much business we give him every year.
Thanks for the heads up though!

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 08:03 PM
So what do you consider high 80's????? 84.5?????? So a 470 HP HP500 is running in the high 80's on a 27' boat???? Intresting is that with interior and fumes in January in the ocean?????
I was thinking the same thing.....

alfonzo
04-18-2005, 08:20 PM
I was thinking the same thing.....
not me. I was to busy looking at bunny 166 lower left pic. NICE.. :) Sorry, on with the thread!

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 08:24 PM
not me. I was to busy looking at bunny 166 lower left pic. NICE.. :) Sorry, on with the thread!
Well thank you! :D I'm so very flattered....Your crew has some of the best looking women bar none!!! ;) ;)They are all very beautiful....to go with all of your beautiful boats!

alfonzo
04-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Gracias!! :D :D

andy01
04-18-2005, 08:40 PM
Well I would say don't get an open bow, people sitting in the front will dictate your driving habits. If the water is rought the ride up front is rough. IF I was looking for a single engine cat (I assume you are looking 25-28) I would look at a Mach26/F26 from DCB first. I owned one and for a lake boat it seemed like the best all around boat there was on the market for that size, again single engine. I would build a DCB 26' with a GT Performance 650 EFI, it won't cost near the Merc prices for the same HP and it will be just as reliable. If I had to make a second choice the Conquest Top Cat 28' looks like a real nice boat. Look for Keith S. on these boards he can help with that boat. It is all new and looks pretty sweet.
Just my .02!
Let us know what you buy.........
Andy

Bling Bling
04-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Well thank you! :D I'm so very flattered....Your crew has some of the best looking women bar none!!! ;) ;)They are all very beautiful....to go with all of your beautiful boats!
Alf, maybe we should get there group of woman together with our group of woman, and see what happens. :D :D I mean, you know like talking about shoes, belts, purses, clothes and all that woman stuff. :D :D :D :D I was wondering if you had any activities possibly they'd be intrested in?

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 08:50 PM
Alf, maybe we should get there group of woman together with our group of woman, and see what happens. :D :D I mean, you know like talking about shoes, belts, purses, clothes and all that woman stuff. :D :D :D :D I was wondering if you had any activities possibly they'd be intrested in?
Bling, you know we're game for just about anything :smile: Do you think Cadie will let me borrow her Rhino for some fire jumping??? :D As long as there's Goose and Cran there, you never know what will happen.... :devil: Now I can't speak for Mila (Mrs. Roxysnow in the white), but Mrs. Kilr and Mrs. SBark are crazy chicks..... :rollside:

andy01
04-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Another thing that wasn't mentioned either is driving a cat is a lot of fun.

Bling Bling
04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Bling, you know we're game for just about anything :smile: Do you think Cadie will let me borrow her Rhino for some fire jumping??? :D As long as there's Goose and Cran there, you never know what will happen.... :devil: Now I can't speak for Mila (Mrs. Roxysnow in the white), but Mrs. Kilr and Mrs. SBark are crazy chicks..... :rollside:
I could tell Mrs. Roxysnow was a stick in the mud. :D :D

Goodtime$
04-18-2005, 09:14 PM
BF, the boat had a single 1 gallon tank dumping straight into the carb for only one pass, i had a chinese exchange student sitting on a rice cooker with no interior on a light wind lake test...
Mid 80s, Lake Smellsomemore with a wpm526ci 500hp Carb motor, Xr drive, closed bow with interior. There is a same boat at Gary Teagues being rigged.
Boat did 91 on gps in San Diego bay in salt, 5 doods with 1-2ft mild chop.
Just wanted to add my 2cents at what you can get for the dollar. Best of luck with your decision, and more importantly your insurance carrier.
Cheers
Goodtime$

Burley1
04-18-2005, 09:19 PM
I would say you should look around for a used 28' Skater with twin 300X's. I know there are lots of DCB lovers and they are great too :D

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 09:25 PM
She is coming around little by little..... Bunny now she is a little harder too work on..................

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 09:26 PM
She's a wonderful person! :D You'll have to ask her how silly she gets :hammer2: :hammer2:

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 09:27 PM
She is coming around little by little..... Bunny now she is a little harder too work on..................
:D You are a troublemaker :D

Bling Bling
04-18-2005, 09:31 PM
She's a wonderful person! :D You'll have to ask her how silly she gets :hammer2: :hammer2:
Mila and Kevin are great. I hung out with them a few times, very kool. Only Kevin has this problem of rather sleeping in his truck in the sand dunes, then sleeping in a nice comfy motorhome, Go figure. :D

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Mila and Kevin are great. I hung out with them a few times, very kool. Only Kevin has this problem of rather sleeping in his truck in the sand dunes, then sleeping in a nice confy motorhome, Go figure. :D
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2066IMG_0930.JPG
They are an awesome couple! Here we all are on Darrin's 40th--same time you all were silly on the Goose in SB....no wonder SYA never made it to our house :hammer2: :hammer2:
As for sleeping in the truck, who knows?? Kev is so kind he probably didn't want to impose.... ;) ;)

Bling Bling
04-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh and Alf, is it just me or is there a whole bunch of boobie in Bunnys picture. :D AH dam!!!!
Back to this thread, get a cat. 28 skater or 30 Spectre with outs would be great. Plus insurance I think is cheaper with those gay things that stick off the back. :D :D Single, DCB, elimanator, boss cat, Cobra, Howard, and the list goes on...... Just remeber, don't get the DCB attitude if ya buy one. :D :D I have not figure that one out yet.

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Just remeber, don't get the DCB attitude if ya buy one. :D :D I have not figure that one out yet.
Hey I dont have one.....
Those cost money

bunny 166
04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
3in20, I have ridden in Kilr's DCB and what a friggin' blast! Solid as a rock at 100mph.....not sure how fast you want to go--our Conquest won't go quite that fast, but you will love your cat, whatever you decide to buy! Good luck to you!! :D :D

Bre
04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
How about the boat in my signature :D :wink:

andy01
04-18-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey I dont have one.....
Those cost money
No they don't............... it's free with one gallon of koolaid, the secret hand shake and the "World's Best" back window sticker............. If you didn't get all three of those when you wrote your deposit then you really got ripped on that F series............. Dave gives that all three to everyone....... and if your extra special he'll even give you a free shirt or two. I hear Charlie has a pair of signed socks.............

Kilrtoy
04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
No they don't............... it's free with one gallon of koolaid, the secret hand shake and the "World's Best" back window sticker............. If you didn't get all three of those when you wrote your deposit then you really got ripped on that F series............. Dave gives that all three to everyone....... and if your extra special he'll even give you a free shirt or two. I hear Charlie has a pair of signed socks.............
WTF, Do I have to buy three DCB's to get the socks or what....
Signed socks, That takes it to a whole new level...... :cool:

andy01
04-19-2005, 06:07 AM
WTF, Do I have to buy three DCB's to get the socks or what....
Signed socks, That takes it to a whole new level...... :cool:
I don't remember how to get all of it......... You have to read in your DCB new boat folder. It has the break down, buy so many boats or you may mix it up by selling say four boats for DCB and buying three, plus the two you sold that you owned.............. Like I said I don't remember what it is that qaulifies you'll have to look it up. You can even get a hair brush but that takes like two F34's and other stuff for that. I think Charlie may be the only one able to get said "brush".
:shift:
Dave and Brian I know you guys read this shit........ Im kidding!
Andy

BoatFloating
04-19-2005, 06:52 AM
BF, the boat had a single 1 gallon tank dumping straight into the carb for only one pass, i had a chinese exchange student sitting on a rice cooker with no interior on a light wind lake test...
Mid 80s, Lake Smellsomemore with a wpm526ci 500hp Carb motor, Xr drive, closed bow with interior. There is a same boat at Gary Teagues being rigged.
Boat did 91 on gps in San Diego bay in salt, 5 doods with 1-2ft mild chop.
Just wanted to add my 2cents at what you can get for the dollar. Best of luck with your decision, and more importantly your insurance carrier.
Cheers
Goodtime$
Not a HP 500? Very impressive numbers..... Can I borrow your Chinese exchange student for a speed run.... :D
Bling and Alf, you guys keep it down.... :shift:

BADBLOWN572
04-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Can I borrow your Chinese exchange student for a speed run.... :D
Why do that, you know they can't drive for shit. ;) :D Just get someone who actually knows how to drive a boat and you will be fine. ;) :D

Dave C
04-19-2005, 10:08 AM
how fast you wanna run? 700+hp in a single 25-27 ft boat will haul ass.
For singles check out DCB 26 or Eliminator 26/27 with single 600 HP motor from either GT Marine or Teague with an XR drive. These will be good solid high 80's boats. Thats what I would buy if I had to do it all over again. With 600 hp and a XR it will be turn key all day and you will have lots of fun.
I don't like blue motors (HP500/525) for the same money you can get 600 HP (+100 hp) from Teague or GT. PLUS Teague and GT will use better parts for your money.
If you want to go bigger 28-30+, you need to go duals. I like the 28 Daytona with twin Ilmors V10's. But I "hear" that the DCB F29 ain't too shabby either. :devil:

Three Days Only
04-19-2005, 10:16 AM
Uuh Ooh, Here comes trouble at the family picnic. Bling is already starting to work his magic!!!
Dont buy into his shit, just get the job done ladies!!! :wink:

mbrown2
04-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Since you are a little iffy on the Cat thing, I would go used and let someone else get saddled with the depreciation...That way if you get tired or don't like the cat thing, you can get out of it.......there are a number of great boats on the market right now...(even on these boards)
2004 Eliminator Daytona 26 - w/575SC (85K) - Daytona Spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74524)
2005 Spectre - w(2) 300x's (115K - Spectre Spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72473&page=1&pp=25)
1999 Eliminator Daytona 25 - Daytona 25 Spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74896)
2004 DCB Mach 26 - Even has Open Bow - DCB Spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72674)
These are only a sampling.....Also, don't be concerned with the Open Bow, I have had an I/O open bow cat and outboard open cat, and my wife prefers the ride up front....at speed the forward sponsons are out of the water so the ride is butter....and since I am behind a canopy I can tell by the folks in front face/hair if I should back off, cause I don't feel anything behind...I cannot emphasize enough to look used before new....specifically if this is your first cat and you are not sure....
Good luck...

andy01
04-19-2005, 10:26 AM
I cannot emphasize enough to look used before new....specifically if this is your first cat and you are not sure....
Good luck...
Very good advise!

boxscore
04-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Since you are a little iffy on the Cat thing, I would go used and let someone else get saddled with the depreciation...That way if you get tired or don't like the cat thing, you can get out of it.......there are a number of great boats on the market right now...(even on these boards)
2004 DCB Mach 26 - Even has Open Bow - DCB Spam (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72674)
This one had been sold...thanks for the bump anyway.

jackpunx
04-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Can you fight well?.. how do you feel about handcuffs?

bunny 166
04-19-2005, 03:20 PM
I am definitely not a fighter, but handcuffs?? :idea: :idea:

Bling Bling
04-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Oh...that was good. :D

Bling Bling
04-19-2005, 07:01 PM
I don't know JP & Alf. The signs I been throwing out makes me wonder if there group of woman is all talk. :D :D I'd bet a c note on it!!! I think Bunny would get scared to drive through the fire and cadie would have to put her on her lap and drive through it for her. :D :D

bunny 166
04-19-2005, 07:24 PM
I see the signs you throw out....I'm concerned, Greghttp://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38bling_fag.jpg

Bling Bling
04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
I see the signs you throw out....I'm concerned, Greghttp://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/38bling_fag.jpg
That was good, maybe your not all talk after all. :D

bunny 166
04-19-2005, 07:41 PM
That was good, maybe your not all talk after all. :D
Gotcha handsome!! :cool: Tell Cadie I'd love to sit on her lap :jawdrop: ;)

Goodtime$
04-19-2005, 09:48 PM
we have this one in stock, if you want a killer deal and like the colors, we need to move our inventory to make much needed room. PM me for more details, can be rigged and ready in a couple weeks. 600hp should easily put in you high 80s with a open bow and full stereo, comes with a white, galva tube triple axle Extreme Trailer.
http://www.riverratlife.com/galleries/05/labs/rd/images/boatshow%20204.jpg
http://www.justanothertoy.com/photogallery/05LABoat/LA%20Boat%20Show%2005%20025.jpg

alfonzo
04-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Bling and Alf, you guys keep it down.... :shift:
Shhhhhhh!!Your piehole is open!

alfonzo
04-19-2005, 10:02 PM
That was good, maybe your not all talk after all. :DYou are Gay!!!! Thats funny shiat! :jawdrop: :D :D

alfonzo
04-19-2005, 10:04 PM
A good game of strip Quarters! :cool:Guys against the Girls. :devil: :D

3in20
04-20-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the 411 everyone, I'll be buying new because I likes things done a particular way ie graphic/color design, no white interiors. Goodtimes, Mrs. 3in20 is really diggin the whole canopy thing, your boat looks awesome though, Does an ex pototo farmer/BMW dealer own the company that builds Conquests? Bunny, Enjoy your new rig, Mrs 3in20 and I are from the south O.C. Born in Laguna Beach and grew up in MV/LH/AV area.
Today I demo'd the boat I will probably buy a 26/27 w/canopies and 700HP EFI motor Very nice ride and handling, ran up to 90+mph in a good cross wind with a foot of windchop first time in the water. No longer Iffy about CATS. I know the DCB's are bad ass but their attitude...well i'll just say they've been drinking too much of their own KoolAid and couldn't be botherd at the Anaheim show.
We are enjoying reading the threads on this BB, can't seem to convince
Mrs. 3in20 to to pose in bikini or do a little, uh dance for the user ID info section. I will post a picture of the new rig once it's done, end of June hopefully.
Thanks for your help.

Dave C
04-20-2005, 09:11 AM
sounds like someone is getting a Daytona with a Teague motor? right? or am I reading too much into this? (nice kool aid statement too) :supp:
Thats a nice boat and I wish I would have done the same thing but didn't have the $$!
I bought a 25 with stock power... now here I am looking for more! ;)
Today I demo'd the boat I will probably buy a 26/27 w/canopies and 700HP EFI motor Very nice ride and handling, ran up to 90+mph in a good cross wind with a foot of windchop first time in the water. No longer Iffy about CATS. I know the DCB's are bad ass but their attitude...well i'll just say they've been drinking too much of their own KoolAid and couldn't be botherd at the Anaheim show.
Thanks for your help.

3in20
04-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Dave C, Is the C for Confucious? You very smart fellow. Hey at least you have a nice boat and can get out and have fun with your family, Always wanting more is the American way. Mrs. 3in20 Always reminds to count our blessings even while she's asking how much more for a 30 or 33 CAT...Yikes, The womens are a complicated bunch. Back to my demo ride though, that boat felt like it easily had another 15MPH in it, with a 30P four blade it felt like it wanted more prop and it had a standard bravo XR but boat was set up for a teague or imco(cant remember) so prop was very low in water. Also Gatlin style mufflers sound really nice, good for long rides. I tried hard to induce a porpise, couldn't do it. Also props to the gentlemen who did the demo and factory tour, very professional, everyone seemed to be genuinely interested in helping us make the right choice and never spoke ill of their competitors. Usually a reflection on the head of an organization.
Thanks,
3in20

bunny 166
04-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow, how exciting!! Be sure and post some pics :D :D Congrats to you and your family!! ;)

Dave C
04-20-2005, 10:43 AM
your kool aid dig tipped your hand. :D
That sounds like a nice set up!.... you should be happy. That 26/27 is a nice boat and its fast!. Have em rig it with some minor extra bling and you can go toe to toe with any kool-aid boat.
Wow if your lady is already looking at bigger boats the hard part is already done! :D I'm still looking for the instruction manual on my lady. :notam:
I thought the american way went more like this..... "that other fawker has a bigger boat than me. Well if I hustle more, I can get a bigger boat than him" right? :devil:
I liked my paint job so I went with the 25. I should be good to go one of these days. A little more hustle and $$ and my motor will get yanked.
Have fun!

alfonzo
04-20-2005, 02:54 PM
I am definitely not a fighter, but handcuffs?? :idea: :idea:
NICE!!!! :eek: