PDA

View Full Version : removing rivits help

nightranger
04-18-2005, 09:53 PM
I am changing the keels on an 18ft. aluminum fishing boat...too many loose rivits and too many leaks...there are about 500 drive rivits to remove to put on the new keels..also more to do all of the bracings below the water level.
i am looking on information on the easiest and fastest way to remove all of the rivits without damageing the removed braces and the original holes.

MAINEVENT
04-18-2005, 09:54 PM
Drill'em out but B-Careful :D

cdog
04-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Drill them out and get some starlet punches. That'll do the trick.

JetBoatRich
04-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I am changing the keels on an 18ft. aluminum fishing boat...too many loose rivits and too many leaks...there are about 500 drive rivits to remove to put on the new keels..also more to do all of the bracings below the water level.
i am looking on information on the easiest and fastest way to remove all of the rivits without damageing the removed braces and the original holes.
Sounds like a lot of rivets :eek: the best I have done it is to drill them :hammer2: take your time and be careful :D

Chico&Zeus
04-19-2005, 04:55 AM
If you can access them from the back side, cut them with a dremel tool w/ cut off wheels, then punch em out from the back side...this is the fastest way especially if they are stainless. Stainless rivets take forever to drill, and you better buy a lot of bits!

schiada96
04-19-2005, 06:28 AM
We do alot of riveting here. If you can get to the bucked side of the rivet get a chisel and cut it off. If it is a pop rivet punch the pin out it will help with the drilling if you can't get to the back side. If they are stainless get a cobalt drill and use a little oil at about 800 rpm.