PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust??

2NDTIMEAROUND
04-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Anybody know about what it would cost me to have my exhaust ran through the transome instead of being dumped through my out drive,Also what doyou all think abouty the captains exhaust (where you can choose through the out drive or out the transome).Input please.Also good place to have it done i am in Murrieta ca....

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Hi, captains call or silent choice is a neat system. If you have a stock engine, which I'm assuming you do since you're running through the drive exhaust, the silent choice will be fine. Silent choice presents some problems on semi or hi performance engines. So if you have any other engine plans for the future, don't do it. Through transom exhaust is fairly simple, there's just different ways of handling it, and alot of it depends on how the boat will allow the installation.
If you have a nice straight shot from the exhaust riser to the transom, you'll need tips and some exhaust hose, roughly a $300.00 ticket and 3-4 hours of your time. If you want a muffler style tip that cost will go to roughly $350.00-400.00. You'll need to block off the wishbone assembly. The proper way is to remove the engine, remove the wishbone, and install a block off. If you had to pay someone to remove the engine you might as well do the silent choice, because it utilizes the wishbone and the cost would be around the same. If you want to keep the wishbone in place and it does not interfere with the exhaust routing to the transom, you can use 4" rubber plumbing caps to cap the top of the wishbone off. FYI if you want a silent choice system you're looking at roughly $900.00 for the entire system including tips and hose.

2NDTIMEAROUND
04-19-2005, 05:58 PM
I take it that price of 900.00 is parts and labor..And any suggestions on where to get it done out here in Murrieta or something close....Hell where are you located.Also if this is any help the boat is a 2003 Aftershock Toronado witjh the 6.2 liter.Any more help would be appreciated....

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 07:36 PM
That pricing is just parts. We don't do installs. There's alot of good shops in the Corona, Cucamunga, Montclair area. I could advise you on the install and parts if I saw the boat.

BOBALOO
04-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I believe that any switchable exhaust in california is now ILLEGAL and I cant believe Dana wouldn't tell you that. I would save the money because on a stock engine you will gain little to no performance over the thru transoms. You will also have to buy mufflers to quiet this exhaust down.
Kilrtoy will tell you that Thru the transom is worth 5 mph but dont believe it. Save your money for gas and hookers. J/K Do a search on it.

Phat Matt
04-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Save your money for gas and hookers.
Good advice. When are we going out again? :D

Dana Marine Products
04-19-2005, 08:03 PM
The illegal issue is the constant noise level being omitted from your boat. Silent choice with a set of muffler tips will allow you to still have a nice rumble at idle with the advantage of making it totally quiet at idle. Silent choice itself is not illegal, the mounty's just don't want to hear it uncorked with no form of mufflers. As far as a performance gain, every boat is different. A 23 foot v bottom is light enough where you may see a slight difference. Maybe 2 mph. It depends on your current RPM's and prop size. I'm not sure of the motivation behind your request, but this info pretty much lays out your options.
Silent Choice - $600.00
Hose - $50.00
Tips - $160.00 pair
External flappers - $38.00 pair
Gibson Muffler tips - $299.00 pair
Total with standard tips $848.00 (will be too loud with S.C. opened)
Total with Gibson mufflers $988.00