PDA

View Full Version : New boat - Finally

gstark
05-08-2001, 11:37 AM
Finally got my new boat delivered, after about 15 weeks.
Its a Caliber 1 230 Velocity, basically a 21' Skier bottom with an integral swim step making 23' OAL. 502 carb with a Legend J-120 set back pump/rideplate with an A impeller. Hydraulic diverter with trim on the steering wheel (quite slick) with Dana tabs as well. 8 1/2 ft beam, around 3500 lbs. Quite a load and tons of space. After a 1973 18' Glencoe 455/12JC, what a huge difference. After a couple of hours of running, ran it up to 53.3 on GPS at Elsinore in a lot of sloppy water. Strong holeshot. I am sure that after more hours, the 502 should loosen up a little and on good water I could see 3-4 more mph. Then I can experiment with intakes and shoes.
My goal is to have a 60 mph boat without adding more HP. Its just a little odd having someone else do the work, with warranties, etc. For 18 years I did it all and I guess I just have to readjust my sights.
I have to tell you that in all honesty, that as much as it hurts the balance sheet to fork out a ton of cash, it sure does feel good to have a new boat. I had 4 wheel disks put on the trailer, just for safety issues. With the grandkids aboard, I take no chances whether on the road or on the water.
Next trip will be to Needles this weekend, and then Blythe for Memorial Day. Then Bass Lake for a week in July.
I will be interested in opinions regarding intakes and shoes, as I never played with these in the past. Jack had done my old 12JC pump years ago, and I can only say it was some of the best money spent.
I'll keep you posted on speed gains (and hopefully no losses).

Slick
05-08-2001, 11:59 AM
Congratulations. Do you have a current phone number for Caliber 1? I have a 206 Skr.

dcraig
05-08-2001, 12:16 PM
That's heavy and large boat for a jet boat. It will be tough to crack the 60mph barrier without a significant amount of motor work, especially if its on open bow. What's your maximum RPM?
Lowering the shoe below the keel will likely result in less top end due to an increase in drag. The weight of the boat alone should keep the pump loaded adequately.

gstark
05-08-2001, 07:35 PM
Caliber 1 can be reached at 909-738-0880.
Yes, this appears to be a large hull, but it is fairly typical of most 21' bow riders.
60mph is my goal. I won't cry if I don't get there. The majority of my boating is water skiing at 32-36, and cruising.
If I wanted to go really fast, I would have certaily made different choices. As it is, the interior room this boat offers is a key element for me and my family.
I didn't get a good look at the tach, but around 46-4700 rpm is what I think we were turning. On a fresh motor, I did not want to push it until more hours were on it.

dcraig
05-09-2001, 07:25 AM
Sounds like you have an "A" impeller. I have the same cut in my pump and am really happy with the efficiency of it. I can plane at about 3,050 rpm and cruise in the mid-30 to 40 mph range without screaming the motor. I friend of mine has the same setup and boat with an A/B impeller and has to turn 300 rpm more to go the same speed. Sounds like a great boat! Even my boat that has a strait bottom, a 390hp 454, and weighs about 2600 to 2800 pounds only runs 57-58mph. However, with the A impeller, I can take most any boat out of the hole and in the midrange. Good luck!

gstark
05-09-2001, 11:21 AM
Yes, I have an A cut. With just 3 hrs of time on it, I have not really explored performance, mostly just getting used to the new boat, where everything is, etc.
The holeshot is at least as good as my old 18' 455/12JC, maybe better. Which was quite strong. My impression in sloppy water was that I could hold plane at a fairly low speed with the diverter down (I think). I know my old boat would not do that. I'll know more after this weekend when I get it onto good water at the River.
The performance you describe is exactly what I want out of this boat. That is, to be able to cruise at 35-40 without the engine wound tightly, with plenty in reserve.
I'm trying to figure out where to put things like paddles, vests, fenders, etc. In my old boat it was simple. Only 1 or 2 places. This boat, I will have to search for where I put stuff.
I'll try to post some pics soon.

dcraig
05-09-2001, 12:46 PM
I have an open bow also. I end up storing stuff under seats, in the ski locker, and under the engine cover.
Get that boat out, break it in and have fun this summer.

Dave
05-09-2001, 01:01 PM
I have wondered what ever happened to Caliber one boats. I see some newer ones for sale used so I figured they were still in business. I almost bought the 206 new from Cliff in 94. I wish i would have, I see that year used goes for the same price new in 94. I am suprised why they dont have a website? I have looked for it many times hoping he would step into the year 2k. Hey gstark, if you dont mind, how much was that new bad boy out the door? Sounds like a nice boat. Have fun, enjoy.

Rivertoys_com
05-09-2001, 10:03 PM
Sounds like a great boat! I'd like to show it off in my River Toy Gallery. If you want to post some pictures of it, send them to me. Jason@rivertoys.com or visit the website: www.rivertoys.com (http://www.rivertoys.com)
see you on the river,
Jason.