PDA

View Full Version : gassy smelling oil

bakerjet
04-20-2005, 06:52 PM
question: running a 454 8.75:1 with a holly 750cfm on a ur2x tunnel ram, i'm running bosch platinum plus-4 plugs (kinda like a split fire) my oil is smelling like gas should i change to a differn't plug or lean the carb? ngk's or what? :cool:

BK
04-20-2005, 07:22 PM
I would check your carb. Could be anything like mabye a bad power valve, missajusted floats. Look in your carb while you work the throttle (WITH THE ENGINE OFF) and see if you continue to get fuel after the throttle returns. Just a couple things to look at, im sure theres others.

blowngas
04-20-2005, 07:47 PM
If you're running a mechanical fuel pump, the diaphram may be leaking gas into the crankcase

ssanddemon
04-20-2005, 07:53 PM
Or a lot of putt-putting around can load up the oil on a cammed motor.

Daytona100
04-20-2005, 07:59 PM
Change your oil!!! Lean it out and check your plugs. :messedup:

Cas
04-20-2005, 08:49 PM
Baker,
I was running the plus 4's in my boat and was having some issues. I called MikeW from the boards who works for Bosch. He told to immediately take the plus 4's out as they are NOT made for a BB. He said running them will cause one of numerous problems with the engine ie: burnt pistons. When I bought the plus 4's, the parts guy made the comment about there not being a listing for a BBC so he cross-referenced it from AC's.
I've gone back to the AC R44TS plugs, never had a problem with them.

bakerjet
04-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Baker,
I was running the plus 4's in my boat and was having some issues. I called MikeW from the boards who works for Bosch. He told to immediately take the plus 4's out as they are NOT made for a BB. He said running them will cause one of numerous problems with the engine ie: burnt pistons. When I bought the plus 4's, the parts guy made the comment about there not being a listing for a BBC so he cross-referenced it from AC's.
I've gone back to the AC R44TS plugs, never had a problem with them.
Thanks Cas!! that is some much needed info! will get to changing my oil and plugs.

Cas
04-20-2005, 09:13 PM
btw, the other info given is all good advice. Might be a good idea to check some of the things mentioned.

Mighty Thor
04-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Might also be fuel perkolating (sp) when you shut it off hot. Fuel in the intake when not running goes past the rings into the oil. How does your carb vent?

Beer-30
04-20-2005, 10:17 PM
If you do the rompety romp thing with the throttle while it is cold and warming up, it tends to let unburned fuel trickle down the sides of the cyl and along the piston skirts. Until the cyls warm up and can make full combustion, it'll wash down the cylinders.
Better yet. Ditch the carbs and put dual throttle-bodies on top.
Carbs are so 2000.

Cas
04-20-2005, 10:28 PM
do you cover your scoop when towing? If not, the air being forced into it can cause the fuel in the carb to be forced into the cylinders with open intake valves. From there it'll also trickle down past the rings and into the oil.
Oh the fun of trying to figure something out :)

Mighty Thor
04-20-2005, 10:57 PM
do you cover your scoop when towing? If not, the air being forced into it can cause the fuel in the carb to be forced into the cylinders with open intake valves. From there it'll also trickle down past the rings and into the oil.
Oh the fun of trying to figure something out :)
oooo, saw this happen on an alcohol car once. Not good. Hot laps started, engine started, engine go BOOM! Big chunk of block go past finish line. Inspection show oil smell real weird. towed to race with no cover on scoop. Funny how venturies work, dont always gotta suck, sometimes you can blow.

bakerjet
04-21-2005, 04:45 AM
thanks guys,looks like i will start doing some things a little differn't :idea: