PDA

View Full Version : Another question for the diesel guys.

Tremor Therapy
04-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Okay diesel guys (and gals just so I can be pc),
Since I am looking into a diesel truck, my second question to all of you is the 4x4 versus 2 wheel drive question. I must admit, that I have had at least one 4x4 in my arsenal for the past 20 years. Now I must also admit that with the exception of a slippery ramp, and the occassional trip up to the mountains during winter, my 4x4's have not seen much action in the past 5-7 years, and all of my 2 wheel drive trucks have been lowered.
So those of you with the diesel's......if you had to do it all over again, would you opt for the 4x4, or is the 2 wheel drive truck everything you needed?

Mandelon
04-21-2005, 06:38 AM
I have th 4x4 and use it when we hit the desert camping, and on those same slippery launch ramps you mention. I might still be at one or two if it weren't for the 4x button......
Trips to Mammoth a couple times a year and local snowfall is about the extent of it.
How many of us live on barely passable dirt roads?
Honestly all three of our vehicles are 4x4..... :hammerhea Silverado, Suburban and a Wrangler...

Sleek-Jet
04-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Would you rather have 4wd and not need it, or need it and not have it...
... been there done that, it's no fun to get your boat and truck pulled out of the lake...

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 06:40 AM
I have one of each...
have never used the 4WD.
Bought it due to a couple slippery ramps, but the 2WD has always pulled everything out...
Alan I will also make you a good deal on my 2WD if an extended cab would get the job done for ya :wink:

JetBoatRich
04-21-2005, 06:48 AM
Use our 4X4 through the year :cool: we do the winter fun, camping the desert and riding and have on occasion needed then. Slippery ramps and we also go to places where we can launch on the beach, without 4WD I get to pull a lot of people out :rolleyes:

OutCole'd
04-21-2005, 06:50 AM
I had a 03 Crew Cab HD 2wd. The first time I launched my boat when it was new at Windsor, I could not pull the boat out due to tires spinning, luckily a few peeps came over & stood on my rear bumper & then it was no problem.
Came home & traded it in on a 4wd.
All it takes is once for it to let you down & you'll be pissed you went 2wd.

Jordy
04-21-2005, 06:55 AM
My cc is a 4x4 and I wouldn't have it any other way. My ex-cab is a 2wd and there are times that I can't even get onto job sites without worrying about getting stuck. As far as launching and retrieving boats, I don't have to use 4wd but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. ;) :D

dicudmore
04-21-2005, 07:09 AM
My cc is a 4x4 and I wouldn't have it any other way. My ex-cab is a 2wd and there are times that I can't even get onto job sites without worrying about getting stuck. As far as launching and retrieving boats, I don't have to use 4wd but it's nice to know it's there if I need it. ;) :D
I second that....

Back Forty
04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
I second that....
I third that. I never cared for 4x4 because I never thought I needed it. I finally found a couple of greezy ramps that made me a believer. That was in Ohio though and now that I'm in Florida I think it's not going to be a big deal. I'll know soon enough. :clover:

Mrs. casean
04-21-2005, 07:18 AM
We don't have a diesel yet but have 4x4. I push the button when I am taking the boat. I have it so may as well use it. Better than the wheels spinning and not go anywhere :D We always use it when we head pull off on the dirt roads in the desert to avoid the possibility of getting stuck in some of the softer areas... not worth it... we want to get there and start drinking :D So I'd rather have it and never use it than not have it and need it like sleeok-jet said. Like Rich, spent many time using it to get people out.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
04-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Just last night I was going down a dirt road and ran into a ravine that was too much of a drop off. I had to back up and two wheel drive got me no where. One click and I was rollin in 4x. You never know!

STV_Keith
04-21-2005, 07:37 AM
4x4 can be a lifesaver, but the real reason is resale value. Most people will not buy a 2wd.

Tahiti350
04-21-2005, 08:12 AM
I would have to agree on the resale value point, You are going to take a big hit for 4WD when you by it, but you will get more when you sell too. Then there are the few like me who wait for someone to sell a really nice 2 WD that has been taken care of (and not beat to death off road!!), and pay $2000 or so less than the comperable 4WD. :220v:
I do have a 4wd, but it is more of a toy than a hauler, '75 Dodge 4X4, 4:10 gears, 33/12.50/15's, and a 425 hp 440. It would probably pull my boat quite well, but I can't afford to drive it with the current fuel prices :umm: :mad:
Actually I still have 4 WD on my Cummins truck, they are just all on the same axle :hammerhea

cdog
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Okay diesel guys (and gals just so I can be pc),
Since I am looking into a diesel truck, my second question to all of you is the 4x4 versus 2 wheel drive question. I must admit, that I have had at least one 4x4 in my arsenal for the past 20 years. Now I must also admit that with the exception of a slippery ramp, and the occassional trip up to the mountains during winter, my 4x4's have not seen much action in the past 5-7 years, and all of my 2 wheel drive trucks have been lowered.
So those of you with the diesel's......if you had to do it all over again, would you opt for the 4x4, or is the 2 wheel drive truck everything you needed?
I have yet to have a problem with my 2wd suburban and the 29 SW. I ordered it with possi trac. II've launched at havasu marina-elsinore-perris and the nautical. Funnything is my wife usually pulls me out and I sit in the boat. I'd bet it would be kinda difficult in some instances as some ramps are steep and slimy. I'm getting a new truck soon and going 4x4. If you don't get into the dirt much I would'nt worry about it. Just make sure you get posi or a locker. But you know how it is around here, everyone has the best of the best.

Dave C
04-21-2005, 08:35 AM
I actually use mine during the winter. Plus the resale value is better.
This is a judgment call though.

WYRD
04-21-2005, 08:49 AM
I will never be without a 4X4 I use mine all the time :D

rrrr
04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
I have yet to have a problem with my 2wd suburban and the 29 SW. I ordered it with possi trac. II've launched at havasu marina-elsinore-perris and the nautical. Funnything is my wife usually pulls me out and I sit in the boat. I'd bet it would be kinda difficult in some instances as some ramps are steep and slimy. I'm getting a new truck soon and going 4x4. If you don't get into the dirt much I would'nt worry about it. Just make sure you get posi or a locker. But you know how it is around here, everyone has the best of the best.
I have a 2WD diesel Excursion with posi. My boat weighs around 5K lbs, it handles it just fine.
Don't forget about gas mileage and maintenance on a 4WD. It could be ugly. :220v:

Eliminator 4 Life
04-21-2005, 09:37 AM
I will never be without a 4X4 I use mine all the time :D
Fawk that concrete cadillac :p :cool:

Wild Horses
04-21-2005, 12:20 PM
Don't forget about gas mileage and maintenance on a 4WD. It could be ugly. :220v:
Iv'e got 170,000 miles on my 4X4 Dodge Cummins and have never even had to look at the axles or transfer case, u joints last a lot longer than they once did. Stuffs just alot better now a days. And I will sacrifice that 1 or maybe 2 miles per gallon for the peace of mind.
Clint
Plus we get snow. :supp:

riverroyal
04-21-2005, 01:59 PM
ive had a 2wd drive excursion,never needed 4X,even in the desert pulling a trailer,,,,,but my new F250 crew cab deisel is 4X4,,,only reason is it looked better,I parked a 2wd a 4wd next to each other on the ford lot and the 2wd just looked funny to me,real long,not tall enough,,it will stay stock ,i just think it looked better

Liberator TJ1984
04-21-2005, 02:20 PM
We have a Fleet of Ford Diesels at work , most of which are 2WD , and with all the extra weight of the diesel motor over the front end they will get stuck if a dog pisses under the rear tires... if you opt. for a diesel engine and plan to do ANY off pavement adventuring ,ya better have 4WD , this is not just Ford but all makes of diesel trucks...I have a 2005 F250 SD 6.0 and live on a dirt road , with the diesel I have had to use the 4WD several times after showers to keep from making Ruts , where as my '94 Z71 with gas motor hardly ever had to use 4WD to get out .....just my experiences....4WD from here out :D good luck shopping :hammerhea

Cole
04-21-2005, 02:29 PM
I really wished I had a 4x4 when I was at telephone cove last summer.
We were backing my boat down the long dirt launch when my suburban dropped into a hole. Water all of a sudden was to the middle of my doors. We tried to pull foward but we were just spinning tires and water was now seeping in. We let the boat float off the trailer to lighten the load and it still didn't help. All i kept thinking was how great would it have been to be in a lifted 4x4 truck.... but instead i am now sitting in a submerged truck. We finally got pulled out by a jeep 4x4 with a winch.....
THOSE WINCHES KICK ASS, i couldn't believe it pulled us out.
So yes get a 4x4!!!! :D

Ziggy
04-21-2005, 02:56 PM
Go for the 4x4 for those times you think you won't need it.
Albeit, the mileage does suffer some.
Use my 4by in the dunes, on a very rare occassion at the ramp and have used it on the road this past winter when we had real bad rain and wanted to beat someone off the red light and impending lane merge.
Mountains in the white stuff.
I've wondered a few times if I really needed it but after getting myself unburied a few times I knew it was worth it.

cc322
04-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Every truck I have owned except for one has been four wheel drive, thats the only way I will have it. As far as resale value, seems like alot of peeps are always saying Get the diesel better resale, get the 4x4 better resale, Well hell yeah it better be, you paid more for it up front :confused: IMO get the 4x4 not for resale but because you want it :rollside:

Flyinbowtie
04-21-2005, 04:02 PM
I have always owned 4x4 trucks, and put about 1500 miles a year on the truck with the hubs locked in. I have an older F-350 4x4 PSD CC dually. I live just below the usual snowline, and make a bunch of trips over Donner Summit every year.
I buy 4x4 because I use it. I try to order my trucks with a manual shift transfer case and manual locking hubs, becuse I have seen the auto-lock hubs fail too frequently, and the electric-shift on the fly into 4x4 gizmos fail to shift the transfer case when they freeze, get wet, etc. I've bought more than one manual locking kit from Warn to convert a truck or two, to get rid of the damn auto-hub fiasco.
If you are going to buy 4x4, I think it is worth it to spend the $ and get a posi in the rear as well. In deep snow, it might save you from chaining up.
Other than the extra fuel and some maint., and as long as you don't trash the transfer case, 4x4 will generally not cost you much in the long haul, it will get you your money back when you sell. Four wheel drive is one of those deals that if the need for it arises, most folks don't have anything else handy that will work.
Never had to lock 'em in to get off of a boat ramp. Not yet, anyway.

Kachina26
04-21-2005, 09:11 PM
Bought it due to a couple slippery ramps, but the 2WD has always pulled everything out...
Yeah, with me and 2 other 200+ pounders jumping up and down on the bumper :rolleyes: