PDA

View Full Version : Whipple Flow Rates?

Stealth Marine
04-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Does anyone just happen to know what the volumetric flow rates are on the Whipple 2.3 and 3.3 superchargers are at various RPMs ??
ie, at 1,000 2,000 3,000rpm, what is the volume of air the compressor is delivering to the engine manifold??

Infomaniac
04-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Dustin provided me the airflow of a single 3.3 when I was developing the Trident engine. I put the data into DD2000 and have the file. I might be persuaded to share it.

HP350SC
04-21-2005, 04:21 PM
Whipple's are overdriven, so the flow rate would vary according to supercharger rpm (% it is overdriven). The 2.3 is 930 cfm at 15psi at 13,000 s/c rpm. Put another way, the 2.3 is .812 cfm per revolution. The 3.3 is 1.165 cfm per revolution.
What are you trying to determine or achieve? Might be an easier way to answer your question. :idea:

Stealth Marine
04-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Whipple's are overdriven, so the flow rate would vary according to supercharger rpm (% it is overdriven). The 2.3 is 930 cfm at 15psi at 13,000 s/c rpm. Put another way, the 2.3 is .812 cfm per revolution. The 3.3 is 1.165 cfm per revolution.
What are you trying to determine or achieve? Might be an easier way to answer your question. :idea:
Thanks.
Trying to find a solid way of determinging where the cutoff is for using the 2.3 vs. the 3.3 based on engine flow rates and desired boost levels.
The underlying question is...
Would it ever be possible to put a 2.3 on an engine and "underfeed" the intake manifold resulting in a NEGATIVE manifold pressure reading???
Based on what you just said, I would think it impossible.

Whipple Charged
04-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks.
Trying to find a solid way of determinging where the cutoff is for using the 2.3 vs. the 3.3 based on engine flow rates and desired boost levels.
The underlying question is...
Would it ever be possible to put a 2.3 on an engine and "underfeed" the intake manifold resulting in a NEGATIVE manifold pressure reading???
Based on what you just said, I would think it impossible.
Chris,
Yes, you could have vacuum in the manifold with the sc. It can actually be a restriction if it's not flowing more air than the engine would naturally aspirated. This would make less hp than naturally aspirated because of the energy it would take to operate the sc.
The 2.3ax (rear entry) cut off should be 700hp, from that point and above, the 3.3ax will flow more at a higher efficiency. The 2.3R (top entry) cut off should be 675hp. The 2.3ax and 2.3r can make far more power, but this is where the 3.3 becomes superior. The most we've made with a 2.3 is 900hp but it was working the compressor pretty hard.
Dustin

Stealth Marine
04-27-2005, 07:04 AM
Chris,
Yes, you could have vacuum in the manifold with the sc. It can actually be a restriction if it's not flowing more air than the engine would naturally aspirated. This would make less hp than naturally aspirated because of the energy it would take to operate the sc.
The 2.3ax (rear entry) cut off should be 700hp, from that point and above, the 3.3ax will flow more at a higher efficiency. The 2.3R (top entry) cut off should be 675hp. The 2.3ax and 2.3r can make far more power, but this is where the 3.3 becomes superior. The most we've made with a 2.3 is 900hp but it was working the compressor pretty hard.
Dustin
Thanks Dustin.
HP is a moving target.
Thats why I was focusing in on raw flow rates.
Just trying to see "How Much" engine a 2.3 could supply in terms of compressed gas volumes.