View Full Version : Does this pump sound worn out?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2005, 05:19 PM
I pulled the bowl off my new boat to switch it to my polished one and I noticed that the impeller has small cracks on it. They are where the water comes out of the impeller on the back side. Then I noticed that the wear ring was moving and the impeller moves foward and back about 1/2 inch. How hard is it to replace the impeller and wear ring? What do I need to do to make my pump tight again? I havent done a pump before so I am open for options.

roostwear
04-21-2005, 05:48 PM
If your impeller is moving a 1/2", it's bearing time. Now's the time for a rebuild... impeller, bearing, wear ring, bushings, seals. At least it didn't leave you stranded. :D

cave
04-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Mike since there is no motor in it, now is the time to do it. Its hard to get to those bolts that hold the pump to the transom housing but you have to remove those bolts to get the bowl out. It will pull right out the back of the boat. Next remove the bolts that hold the pump to the intake. Now carefully remove the pump out lifting it up and out to towards the front. Now that you have the pump out should prolly replace the thrust bearing cause I'm sure its toast too. good time to rebuilt it if you can. You may know phil better so he may give you a better deal on parts or Rex or CPP. Once the pump is out its no problem. Hopefully you wont need to rent an impeller puller. Mine was tight but it slid right off the shaft after I loosened it up.

460 jus getn it
04-21-2005, 05:56 PM
WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAMMITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT...........................

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
ok I just looked at it again and for some odd ass reason the impeller nut was loose so I took it off. Low and behold, the impeller came off followed by the wear ring. The impeller looks as if its bronze and detailed. here are the pics.....
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239pump1.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239pump2.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239pump3.bmp
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/239pump4.bmp

cave
04-21-2005, 05:59 PM
Here is what mine looked like before the rebuild.
http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/inview1.jpg
Yea it was time and the thrust bearing was destroyed.
After the rebuild
http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/jet_rebuild_1.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Ok so the impeller has been touched. So I am assuming it has been detailed. Ok so here is my next question, How loos should the shaft be with no impeller? Also, how tight should the impeller fit it the wear ring? How tight should the wear ring be in the pump?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2005, 06:06 PM
The shaft has very minimal play up and down. Maybe less than 1/8 of an inch. There is no play left to right.

cave
04-21-2005, 06:07 PM
Is the plastic insulator intact? Should be between the wear ring and the pump housing.
The shft shouldnt have any lateral movement. At least mine dont now.

460 jus getn it
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
dammit

460 jus getn it
04-21-2005, 06:18 PM
i guess u can still ride in my boat. but only if you bring :D :D :D and two grape sodas

BigBlockBaja
04-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Hey Cave, Looks about as bad as mine!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1636bad_impellor.JPG
Were rebuilding it soon with a split bowl, droop, and a diverter. Should get me up and moving pretty good. How much of a difference did ya notice between the old pump and the rebuilt one? rpm and mph wise..
Pat

Taylorman
04-21-2005, 06:36 PM
The wear ring should be tight in the pump, no play at all. With the bowl on, the shaft should have no play also. If it does you need new bushings in the bowl. I'd rebuild that whole pump now since the engine is out.

cave
04-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Holy crap BigBlockBaja. I thought mine was bad. I haven't been in the water yet so I don't know what difference it will make. Soon real soon.
396 the impeller shaft is tight on my rebuild. I got the tool to remove and install the bowl bearings if you need it.
Hey when did you check the play on the shaft? was the bowl connected? Your bowl has to be on to check end play and side play. If you just grabbed the end of the shaft it may wobble a bit. Try it when the bowl is on if it has any side play now is the time for a rebuild. Now that you have the bowl off replace the oil seal in the bowl. That is if funds allow.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Ok so I know for a fact that I need a new wear ring. My question is that do I need a new impeller? The one I have is a bronze and its detailed. I would like to use it. I have a polished split bowl that is getting the "watercooled" conversion done to it and new seals.
So the bowl needs to be on the shaft to check if the bearing is good. Does it need to be all the way on or what?

sidewound
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
So the bowl needs to be on the shaft to check if the bearing is good. Does it need to be all the way on or what?
Put the bowl on and bolt it up to check the clearance. I used a dial indicator through the handhole. Difficult but it can be done.
Wear ring defenitly sounds like crap. I went ultimate when I did mine. No problems yet.
Good Luck
Peace Man!:cool:
CESAR

Jake W2
04-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Send it in to a pump shop like MPD or who ever you want and let them look it over and tell you if it is junk or not ,and they can size it for a new ware ring.
Jake

Duane HTP
04-22-2005, 04:59 AM
Looks like you have a pretty decent impeller. If the wear ring came out with the impeller, check to make sure if there is damage to the suction housing from the wear ring spinning in the housing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2005, 05:33 PM
I had bergeron look at it locally today and the suction housing is ok. THe impeller was a bronze AA. The impeller is toast along with the bearing. We will be checking to see if the shaft is straight tomorrow. Its going to be jet building 101 for me. I will be sure to have a 12 pack cold;)

Cs19
04-22-2005, 06:24 PM
A 12 pack and lots of big hammers, and youll be all set for the rebuild.Framing hammers are preferred.

cave
04-22-2005, 06:28 PM
If I may suggest, a small sledged hammer. :hammer2:
was that 12 12packs or 12 single cans o beer? Guess i read it the way I want it to read it.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-22-2005, 06:59 PM
A 12 pack and lots of big hammers, and youll be all set for the rebuild.Framing hammers are preferred.
Oh hell yeah, "beat to fit and paint to match" :D :D Bergeron has all the tools. They are going to ealk me through it;)

460 jus getn it
04-22-2005, 09:17 PM
how bout a bucket of extra crispy and two grape sodas. the a 30 pack and a all nighter.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
how bout a bucket of extra crispy and two grape sodas. the a 30 pack and a all nighter.
We just pulled a all nighter :eek: I am still a little drunk. I cant believe I was still drinking untill 6am :eek: Man what a night........Now I have to go polish some parts, this is going to be fun........

cave
04-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Hey 396 was that your that your pump at Bergerons in a milk crate? The blue pump. Next payday I'm gunna buy a scoop and flame arrestor. Then the motor goes in. I got to go see if I got any leaks. I live on Dobson ranch. There is a small lake behind the house. Last time I put my jet boat in there I had 3 Mesa PD's waving me back to the ramp. Hope I don't get busted.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-23-2005, 04:29 PM
Hey 396 was that your that your pump at Bergerons in a milk crate? The blue pump. Next payday I'm gunna buy a scoop and flame arrestor. Then the motor goes in. I got to go see if I got any leaks. I live on Dobson ranch. There is a small lake behind the house. Last time I put my jet boat in there I had 3 Mesa PD's waving me back to the ramp. Hope I don't get busted.
Yup, That was it. I just left from over there. Little phil showed me how to disassemble it. It was sooo easy. The bad thing is that my shaft is bent as well :mad: I was in the polishing room polishing my transon adapter and the polisher ripped it out of my hands. The damn thing almost took my arm off twice!! I have a huge lump on my arm. i am still shaking!
Are you serious? You put your boat in there!! You are one crazy man! I fish them lakes. I live by bergerons(center and university).

cave
04-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Yea but I havnt started in the lake. I use my trolling motor to get from the ramp to Dobson rd once. Took a while. When I paint my trailer Im gunna park it next to my dock.
My nieghbors are cool about that stuff. Not the Association.
http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/back_of_pad.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Yea but I havnt started in the lake. I use my trolling motor to get from the ramp to Dobson rd once. Took a while. When I paint my trailer Im gunna park it next to my dock.
My nieghbors are cool about that stuff. Not the Association.
http://members.cox.net/jetboater454/back_of_pad.jpg
Yup, I have fished there before. There is some good fishing there;)