PDA

View Full Version : Brake questions

Sleek26
04-21-2005, 08:50 PM
I'm told that surge brakes work OK but can be a pain when backing. Is there an electric brake set up that is water proof??

Jordy
04-21-2005, 09:16 PM
Surge brakes do suck ass, however, the newer ones have a solenoid that locks out the brake function when you're backing up based upon the reverse lights feeding voltage through the plug. If you do a search you should come up with more than a few threads about the same thing. As far as the older trailers you might be stuck with the block of wood or drilling a hole and putting a pin in to take care of the backing surge brake problem. ;)

RidinRed
04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
This is only an issue when backing uphill. The new ones work fine, my drive way is about 14 %. They use a RV to 5 pin adapter that bypasses the braking system when the back up lights are on, you sould even be able to run lights from this circuit. My old trailers had to have a pin (or nail) in order to back it up.

Havasu Hangin'
04-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I'm told that surge brakes work OK but can be a pain when backing. Is there an electric brake set up that is water proof??
I think most boats would use electric over hydraulic to keep the electrical components out of the water.