PDA

View Full Version : Man I need help??

WetWillie
04-21-2005, 10:02 PM
I need to purchase a tow rig for the boat and 5th wheel. I want to do the right thing here but with age I have become more sensable. So talk some sense into me.
I have been a DIE hard GMC / Chevy guy for a long time. Wife and I both drive GMC's and have no isses. My default idea here was to pick up a GMC crew cab 4 x 4. I like the way they look and I like the interior. I think the diesel has plenty of power so I am fine there. The issues is that I want to put some 35's on it and have to lift it a bit. I have never had much luck with lift as they loosen up and shift. Alignments and reallignments are a monthly thing. as you have to deal with lots of angles and parts and pieces..
Well them My buddy John starts talking Ford and all there greatness in that straight axel and the new front end. So then I talk to HERMAN and his ford Hipno starts on me and I start thinking maybe a ford. Lifting it and forgeting about it sounds good. That straight axle sounds tuff. But how is the ride? How is the interior? Is it comfotable for the kids..
Its a damn ford I dont know if i can do this :jawdrop:
Hey why do we have choose sides when it comes to cars anyway??

WetWillie
04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/trucks/173_1.jpg
http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/trucks/194_1.jpg
:rolleyes:

djunkie
04-21-2005, 10:17 PM
I'd get the chevy. Just get a good lift and you should be ok with the durability of it. Plus it should ride a lot better than the Ford.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-22-2005, 06:30 AM
I have driven them both and I think the rides are pretty close with the advantage GMC/ Chevy. As far as the Ford 6.0 I had mine lemon lawed cause it leaked oil and couldnt idle right. I have heard several things one being ford diesels have a hard time because of california edmissions. The other from a Ford service manager telling me the problems with the 6.0 and 50 buy backs a month nationwide I also heard in 2007 there will be a new motor called the 6.4 from what he told me. So with that in mind WW good luck I have had my problems with all of them. You want ride and luxury go GMC you want room go Ford oh and I heard they started a recall on some of the trannys are blowi ng out about 30k so they have a recall on it to change the codes or something to that effect......

BarryMac
04-22-2005, 07:21 AM
WW, I've driven both and currently own a GMC 2500HD, the ride quality of the GMC is a ton better than the Ford and the Duramax/Allison combo has no competition right now. The right lift installed properly should not give you any problems, hell wait about another 6 months and Toby will be selling his...
http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/trucks/173_1.jpg

BLOWN HOWARD
04-22-2005, 07:22 AM
Hey Willie the ford is a good truck, one of the down falls is the interior it is not even half as comfortable as the Chevy. The ride seems to be better on the chevy and over all comfort is better. Allison tranny is hard to beat on the chevy specially since your towing bigger boats and trailers. Get the right lift on the Chevy and you wont have any problems. Make sure you get the 3500hd and the 4x4 and you shouldnt have any problems, you can tow what ever you want.

cc322
04-22-2005, 12:29 PM
It will be the best thing you ever did ;) seriously ....I think the FORD is alot more rommier on the inside then the GM. My brother in law has the GMC cc and I have the FORD cc and he cant believe how much moore room mine has especially in the back. Its a tuff call since you are a die hard Cebby fan. If you go ford get the Donahoe lift, very high quality and awsome monotube gas shocks, I hear the 05 Fords ride pretty good. Good Luck
http://www.donahoeracing.com/
http://www.superdutyheadquarters.com/
http://members.cox.net/cc322/FORDF250/Fordf250.jpg

sigepmock
04-22-2005, 12:41 PM
WW I have ridden in both and comparing the 05's they both ride very nice almost equal with the GM just a tad nicer. I agree the Ford has a roomier cab but not as plush as the GMC's. I eho the thought on the Ford Diesel and Tranny, my neighbor is a ford tech and says the same thing as stated above, the 6.0L and that trans are being replaced in 07 because of the huge amount of problems. As far as lifting them, there are downsides to both. Even the solid axle on the Ford will wear faster with a lift.If I were doing it all over I would get the GMC D-max CC 4x4, have a CST 6" lift installed with 35's. Shouldn't have a problem with that one. The real weak link on the GM ifs is the ptiman/idler arm and the CST kit replaces that completely with heim, etc. SoCalHD on here has the CST kit and I have to say it is one of the nicest/toughest kits I've seen. He even upgraded to Fox dual bypass shocks all the way around and that truck rides like a dream running 36" tires. Good luck.
Chris

Jordy
04-22-2005, 12:42 PM
One word for you: Allison. :cool:

cc322
04-22-2005, 12:45 PM
One word for you: Allison.

Magic34
04-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Just roll some 20" wheels with some 325/50R20 tires and be done. 90+ MPH no shimmy.
I have had my share of lifted vehicles and would much rather spend the $$ on A/V equipment on the interior than the lift. I won't lift another vehicle.
The only Ford I might buy next year is the custom F650 4x4 stretched with 3 doors on each side. My brother just got his, Excursion body with 4 doors on each side, just sick!!!
Is your 5th wheel for the dunes?

Speedin' Ian
04-22-2005, 01:23 PM
Buy which ever one you like the most! This Ford vs. Chevy is soooooooo old, it's like convincing a Republican to vote for for the Democrat, or asking one of them for an unbiased opinion about the other. I am an avid Ford fan with an F-250 CC LB 4X4 with the V-10, but my father and many of my friends have the 6.0 and I even have a couple friends with Duramax's. Here's what I can tell you the Chevy is more comfortable with more bells and whistles, Chevy uses a trans with a proven track record. The 04 and older Fords definately ride rougher, but the 05 rides just as good as the Chevy. Ford has more room, and the straignt axle is more durable than the IFS on the Chevy. In stock trim the ford is Faster and seems to have more pulling power. Also I think you are right about the lift kits on IFS trucks, they tend to require more attention, on my truck I get down there once every six months or so just to check things out but I haven't had anything come loose. My brother used to a lot of lifts and fabrication on truck and he quit doing IFS trucks because they required too much follow up. As far as reliability issues, the 6.0 did have some issues when it first came out, but most new motors do. None of my friends have had major issues and they have mileage ranging from 12k - 75k. I am sure Ford will come out with a new motor in a few years, all companies do, and in 2007 the 6.0 will be four years old and it will be time for newer, more powerful technology.

riverroyal
04-22-2005, 02:26 PM
i just got one 2 wweks ago,F250 diesel 4x4 crewcab,long bed,its for towing ,toy hauler boat etc,,,,so far i love it,I got a XLT with all the power options,tow command,stereo,power seat,blah blah.The lariat was the next upgrade,i didnt care for the leather,plus its a tow vehicles,dirt in the winter,water in the summer,my 2 boys dont need leather.It drives great,plenty of power,milage was 15 around town last week,only 700 miles on it so far so im happy with 15.I like the chevys,just dont like them at stock height,and Im not lifting the truck,it will stay stock.I had all that stuff before,the wheels etc,it was a pain in the ass,Im over that stuff,just want a dependable easy to wash truck that i dont put money into.Everyone I talked with loves their Chevys or Ford,all depend who you ask,also I think the Ford may be cheaper off the lot,and cheaper to lift....come over to Tobys house,we can park them next to each other,maybe Toby will sell his!

Just Tool'n
04-23-2005, 02:37 PM
I Just bought a Chevy D/Max, My buddy just bought a Ford F-250Superduty with the 6.0L diesel, both nice trucks, chevy is more user friendly inside.
The reason I bought Chevy was Long time loyalty to GM, But was on the Fence on Ford VS Chevy this time!
The deceiding factor was Transmission, Plain & Simple. Being in the tool business I go into both dealerships, Ford & Chevy. Ford has had alot more Tranny problems in the Diesels, Than Chevy did or does.
Now Ford did change the Tranny in 05 on the Superduty's. So It will take some time to see if they are better. This summer when it gets hot should be a test if they hold up. Heat allways tears up Tranny's.

WetWillie
04-24-2005, 07:16 AM
Just roll some 20" wheels with some 325/50R20 tires and be done. 90+ MPH no shimmy.
I have had my share of lifted vehicles and would much rather spend the $$ on A/V equipment on the interior than the lift. I won't lift another vehicle.
The only Ford I might buy next year is the custom F650 4x4 stretched with 3 doors on each side. My brother just got his, Excursion body with 4 doors on each side, just sick!!!
Michael Can you snap a picture of your truck in the configuration?? I want to lift it a bit but still need to tow a fifth wheel.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-24-2005, 08:33 AM
Lets get a pacakge deal on the supercruizer f650 :D

Magic34
04-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Michael Can you snap a picture of your truck in the configuration?? I want to lift it a bit but still need to tow a fifth wheel.
Here it is, if you want more, just let me know. I have a few on the computer.
Also, you do have to trim a little for the tires to clear good.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368truck_boat_4_med_res-med.jpg

Beer-30
04-24-2005, 02:13 PM
Both motors are strong pullers, no question. Both are similarly quiet and smooth. Both can be upgraded to similar power levels without damage.
Allison transmission is quite sturdy. I don't think any other brand can match that.
There is just no way a straight axle can match the ride of independent. If so, trucks wouldn't have evolved to independent suspension.
Myself, I choose to get 2WD, cause I can't remember the last time I needed 4x4. I also choose to lower. My Chev dually is dropped 7 in the rear, on bags, and 5 in the front. Done properly, it rides great, tows BEER-30 just fine, and handles a lot better with the center of gravity so low. Not to mention I am not up there in the head-winds. Drove a friends 6" lifted GMC and I couldn't believe the wind-resistance difference.

Eliminator 4 Life
04-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Can I see more pics of the boat :D , What wheels do you got on the truck.

WetWillie
04-24-2005, 09:39 PM
Is yours 4 x 4 ?? Looking at options. Show me more pics

essexjet
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
You can alway order your fifth wheel lift. A friend of mine has an 04 Duramax and 6" lift with 37's and bought a weekend warrior fifth wheel and had them left it.

Magic34
04-25-2005, 08:43 AM
Here is another. It is a 4x4, but I need to take those stickers off. I'll shoot a picture today of my edge attitude install with the black bezel I made for it.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368truck_boat_3_med_res-med.jpg
Here is a picture of my 03 6.0L. I took all the accessories off of it for the 04 Duramax. Kind of a hard decision because I spent $12k more in the difference of trucks and they looked exactly the same when done.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368Truck1-med.jpg
I also just built an 05 Duramax for my dad and ordered the Maxis 20" hulk wheels. The offset were too big and the wheels wouldn't fit with the tires. A lot of these wheels being made in 8 lug are being designed more for the hummers than these trucks. :devil:

2dasand
04-25-2005, 08:52 AM
I agree here, It all comes down to personal preference. Both are good trucks, whe you get right down to it. I have a friend who used to be a Ford Tech, who summed it up the best: "they're all a piece of sh*t, pick your piece of sh*t!". In other words, they all have their problems, just figure out which one you like most.
I am in the diesel peformance industry, and I can tell you this: the Duramax has the potential to produce higher #'s on my dyno, but in a race, a Ford and Chevy with the same power #'s, the Ford will be faster (I can only attribute this to the higher RPM capabilty of the Ford). The trannys in the Fords have been basically the same since '03. In mid '04, they had a production problem, which invoked a recall (the above mentined about blowing trannys at 30K) and the new '05 has minor improvements (do not even compare these trannies to pre '03 trucks, as they are completely different!). The Allisons need tranny improvements/upgrades at around 400RWHP, and the Ford's do not, they hold up. The Duramax has had endless injector problems, and the 6.0 Powerstroke has had many sensor/electronics problems. The '05 Ford does have a new front end (as everybody knows) that has an improved ride, and the Chevy is the same front end.
To sum all of that up: pick your piece of sh*t!! I own a Ford, that's my pick!

DogHouse
05-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Or you could buy a Cummins with the 6spd NV5600 tranny and not have to worry about any of it breaking! Of course then you'd have to put up with a smaller cab unless you wait for the new mega-cab to come out this year.
:cool:

Mandelon
05-08-2005, 06:53 AM
[QUOTE=WetWillie]I need to purchase a tow rig for the boat and 5th wheel. I want to do the right thing here but with age I have become more sensable. So talk some sense into me.
VS
The issues is that I want to put some 35's on it and have to lift it a bit.
QUOTE]
Aren't these mutually exclusive statements.... :cool:
I've owned both and been happy. The GM is more refined inside and had a better ride, but the Ford was more solid and took a beating without ever complaining. You can't go wrong with either IMO.

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 12:19 PM
I agree here, It all comes down to personal preference. Both are good trucks, whe you get right down to it. I have a friend who used to be a Ford Tech, who summed it up the best: "they're all a piece of sh*t, pick your piece of sh*t!". In other words, they all have their problems, just figure out which one you like most.
I am in the diesel peformance industry, and I can tell you this: the Duramax has the potential to produce higher #'s on my dyno, but in a race, a Ford and Chevy with the same power #'s, the Ford will be faster (I can only attribute this to the higher RPM capabilty of the Ford). The trannys in the Fords have been basically the same since '03. In mid '04, they had a production problem, which invoked a recall (the above mentined about blowing trannys at 30K) and the new '05 has minor improvements (do not even compare these trannies to pre '03 trucks, as they are completely different!). The Allisons need tranny improvements/upgrades at around 400RWHP, and the Ford's do not, they hold up. The Duramax has had endless injector problems, and the 6.0 Powerstroke has had many sensor/electronics problems. The '05 Ford does have a new front end (as everybody knows) that has an improved ride, and the Chevy is the same front end.
To sum all of that up: pick your piece of sh*t!! I own a Ford, that's my pick!
Very well written.

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 12:21 PM
The real weak link on the GM ifs is the ptiman/idler arm and the CST kit replaces that completely with heim, etc.Chris
Wrong...actually the real weak link is/are the tie rods. They snap like twigs. Both when stock and especially with poorly designed lift kits.
AND... I have both trucks. At 2,000 miles i had to take the D-Max in for tranny probs. Bad sensor, Drives great since.
The Torqshift (FORD) has been flawless and personally, I like the way it handles the power a lil better than the Allison FWIW. Ford's tranny had a recall for only some units built between specific dates.
JON.
:p I LOVE BOTH TRUCKS. But if I had only one to choose from. It'd be the PSD. This comes from an Ex die hard Chevy fan.