PDA

View Full Version : Park Moabi...who's got the 411?

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Hi all. We're thinking of taking a little trip up to Park Moabi. If anyone has recently been there, please let me know what you think of it (negative or postive). I've heard conflicting stories on the condition of the place. Also, is it first come first served or do they take reservations. I seem to recall Debolas speaking highly of this place...

cdog
04-22-2005, 07:35 AM
It's a very popular place so you need to be sure and get a reservation and check for avaliability. They have redone their launch ramp this year and i'm not sure if their finished yet. Also this year the water level has been low in spots and they've been flushing the damms up above so this has created sandbars in abnormal places. Most will be north of moabi and south of moabi as you enter the gourge. Good luck. Give the park a call.

waterndog
04-22-2005, 07:36 AM
Park Moabi is a great we've been going there for about 14 yrs. If you want a peninsula spot you have to RSVP a year in advance and even then its tough to get a spot, use to not be like that. I'm sure how hard it is to get a spot at the campgrounds near the launch area.

cdog
04-22-2005, 07:39 AM
Also watch out for the indians and ho bo's. They sneak in at night and jack ice chests. It's happened to me and they got two ice chests, my coleman lantern and my coleman stove.

ahhell
04-22-2005, 07:49 AM
we go at least twice a year..love it, never any problems...havent been since the consession (sp) has changed ownership.
cant wait to go this year... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: June is soooo far away

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 07:53 AM
we go at least twice a year..love it, never any problems...havent been since the consession (sp) has changed ownership.
cant wait to go this year... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: June is soooo far away
Did you get reservations too?

Havasu Luvr
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
No reservations required for general camping (no hook-ups) and highly recommend reservations for hook-ups whether on the pen or full hook-ups in the parking lot. Lots of fun as I had been going there for the past 4yrs. Last yr we bought in LHC so we do not use Park Moabi anymore...Good luck and have fun

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 08:04 AM
Another question for those who have been...where do you water ski? Since you can't ski in Topock Gorge just down river, are you limited to the Park Moabi area or do you have to go up river and dodge the sand bars?

Havasu Luvr
04-22-2005, 08:08 AM
Another question for those who have been...where do you water ski? Since you can't ski in Topock Gorge just down river, are you limited to the Park Moabi area or do you have to go up river and dodge the sand bars?
Once you enter the rive then head up river (Left out of the channel). Travel approx 3-5 miles and there will be plenty of beaches on the left & right sides. Early in the season there should be no problem staking your claim to a piece of beach....but during the main season you will need to leave early morning to get a beach up river.
PS. There is no sandbars up river to really be concerned about...until you reach Needles area.

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Once you enter the rive then head up river (Left out of the channel). Travel approx 3-5 miles and there will be plenty of beaches on the left & right sides. Early in the season there should be no problem staking your claim to a piece of beach....but during the main season you will need to leave early morning to get a beach up river.
PS. There is no sandbars up river to really be concerned about...until you reach Needles area.
Thanks H.L. That puts my mind at ease. Looks like we'll be trying it out! :D :D :D

phuggit
04-22-2005, 09:34 AM
We took a ride up to Moabi last Sunday. Unfortunately the ramp isn't finished yet. The park ranger told me it was going to be about another month before it's open. When it is done it's going to be pretty damn nice though. It may become our alternate launch ramp when the zoo gets crazy.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3701DSC02157.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3701DSC02156.JPG
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3701DSC02155.JPG

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Aaaah the pictures! You're killing me here Phuggit. Man I can't wait to get out there!!! :cry: :D

ahhell
04-22-2005, 11:48 AM
We call 365 days prior to the days we wanna go..and reserve 2-4 weeks usually on peninsula 4. as for the skiing, there is alot of water for miles between topok and the needles prop shinning area...(sorry matt, had to) we pull the kids on the tubes for hours just in front of Moabi.
go here for an arial view maps (http://www.google.com/maps) and type in......... park moabi needles ca....pick "E"
then click satellite up in the top right...too cool
yeah ive had a couple of beers

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 01:18 PM
We call 365 days prior to the days we wanna go..and reserve 2-4 weeks usually on peninsula 4. as for the skiing, there is alot of water for miles between topok and the needles prop shinning area...(sorry matt, had to) we pull the kids on the tubes for hours just in front of Moabi.
go here for an arial view maps (http://www.google.com/maps) and type in......... park moabi needles ca....pick "E"
then click satellite up in the top right...too cool
yeah ive had a couple of beers
Does the peninsula have better campgrounds than the asphalt parking? Or is it all pretty much the same? Better yet, what are the campgrounds like? Grassy, dirt, asphalt...etc?

ahhell
04-22-2005, 01:42 PM
the peninsulas are pretty much road base parking with water and electric,the sites are all sand with some shade trees, but you get your own personal beach with a picnic table and water spicket. The "campground" is fairly far away from the water and is parking lot style camping, and your boat, if left in the water, is in the public area just west of the launch ramp. there is a day use area in the Moabi "channel", but it can get a little crowded...

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 02:18 PM
the peninsulas are pretty much road base parking with water and electric,the sites are all sand with some shade trees, but you get your own personal beach with a picnic table and water spicket. The "campground" is fairly far away from the water and is parking lot style camping, and your boat, if left in the water, is in the public area just west of the launch ramp. there is a day use area in the Moabi "channel", but it can get a little crowded...
do you leave your boat in the drink or pull it every night? I kind of like the idea of being on the peninsula if you can leave your boat in the water.

tamalewagon
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Ahhell...thanks again for the great info! My wife is sold on the idea and we're going to try to make reservations the weekend you and the Screams are there. :D :D

tamalewagon
04-24-2005, 09:14 AM
any more input?

Coach
04-24-2005, 09:45 AM
It sucks the worst place on the water don't ever go! :D
We have been going out there for the last 4 years about 10 times a year. We keep our campers there in their storage. We normally are on site #22. We always leave our boats in the water each night. We are launching from site #1 right now (biggest boat is a 23 V) some others have had to launch from Topoc until the new ramp is done. We are heading out this weekend to site #22. We ski all day going north up to Needles. There are no sandbars until you pass the Brigde. The water just past Mobai to the brigde is normally very good in the morning. Hook ups are a must for us, it is like romper room when we go out and my son is 6 months so he needs some AC now and then.

mmered8299
04-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Can everybody just Shush. WTH.

tamalewagon
04-24-2005, 03:07 PM
Can everybody just Shush. WTH.
Don't share and play well with others?

tamalewagon
04-24-2005, 03:10 PM
It sucks the worst place on the water don't ever go! :D
We have been going out there for the last 4 years about 10 times a year. We keep our campers there in their storage. We normally are on site #22. We always leave our boats in the water each night. We are launching from site #1 right now (biggest boat is a 23 V) some others have had to launch from Topoc until the new ramp is done. We are heading out this weekend to site #22. We ski all day going north up to Needles. There are no sandbars until you pass the Brigde. The water just past Mobai to the brigde is normally very good in the morning. Hook ups are a must for us, it is like romper room when we go out and my son is 6 months so he needs some AC now and then.
Thanks Coach. My kids are 2 and 3 with one on the way, so hookups are a must for us too. We are going to try to get reservations this summer to check it out and for next year too. Is site #1 usually taken or do they leave that empty for launches...just hate to barge into someones site. Congrats on your baby boy! :D

ahhell
04-24-2005, 03:11 PM
Ahhell...thanks again for the great info! My wife is sold on the idea and we're going to try to make reservations the weekend you and the Screams are there. :D :D
if you cant get a spot pm me or Scream, and lets see if we have any open spots!!!

tamalewagon
04-24-2005, 03:17 PM
if you cant get a spot pm me or Scream, and lets see if we have any open spots!!!
Can't tell you how much we appreciate that Bob! We have to wait until tomorrow a.m. to call for availability. If we can't, we will certainly take you up on that (if you have an extra spot)! Thanks again. :D :D

ahhell
04-24-2005, 03:26 PM
;) ;)

tamalewagon
07-02-2005, 04:39 PM
Ahhell...we finally got reservations for NEXT year in July. Couldn't swing anything this year. Just as well...wife's 7 months pregnant, so my river season is over anyhow. :cry: Thanks again for your more than generous offer.
I know you, Scream and Debbolas go there quite a bit. Have you guys ever stayed in sites 23 & 24? I was just curious how those site are. Thanks again. Hopefully we'll meet up next year so I can throw a few cold ones your way.

ahhell
07-02-2005, 07:55 PM
I'll be there waiting... :D
we were there mid week a few weeks ago and it looked like half the damm place was empty :confused: :confused: :confused:

tamalewagon
07-03-2005, 08:22 AM
I have a request Bob...do you have any pictures of the sites, river, boatlaunch etc? My wife is a true blue Parker enthusiast because of Buckskins child friendly playground, gameroom and big grassy area. If you could either email me some (swenhe@ufsinc.biz) or throw some on this thread, I would appreciate it. Thanks Bob. Scott

ahhell
07-03-2005, 11:38 AM
There are some great pix of the ramp on the first page of this thread. Ill take some in the next couple weeks and email them to you...no real grassy aeres, playgrounds or things like that, just sand and water :smile:

tamalewagon
07-03-2005, 08:48 PM
There are some great pix of the ramp on the first page of this thread. Ill take some in the next couple weeks and email them to you...no real grassy aeres, playgrounds or things like that, just sand and water :smile:
Works for me! :D :D :D