PDA

View Full Version : Duramax Or Powerstroke?

LAFD
04-22-2005, 11:00 AM
In The Very Near Future Im Gunna Be Trading My Truck In For A Diesal. Havent Decided On Chevy Or Ford. So Im Looking To All The ***boat Folks To Give There Opinions On Each.

racecar.hotshoe
04-22-2005, 11:07 AM
Duramax hands down!When the time is right call Jay!You will be glad you did.Mark

Lightning
04-22-2005, 11:09 AM
I have a DMAX and love it. I think that both are good motors - it really depends on which truck you like better. I personally like the looks and layout of the Chevy.

LAFD
04-22-2005, 11:10 AM
I've Kinda Talked To Jay I Have To Work Some Stuff Out With My Truck Before I Can Get The Ball Rollin. But I Was Just Lookin For Other Experiances And Opinions For Both Diesals.

racecar.hotshoe
04-22-2005, 11:11 AM
I've Kinda Talked To Jay I Have To Work Some Stuff Out With My Truck Before I Can Get The Ball Rollin. But I Was Just Lookin For Other Experiances And Opinions For Both Diesals.
Suck it up and just buy one!........... :coffeycup :D

Essex502
04-22-2005, 11:12 AM
Cummins.

NorCalCat
04-22-2005, 11:15 AM
Ford 6.0 Tourque shifter. can't go wrong. Added the attitude juice, more power than you need and I get about 18 mpg towing 22 mpg freeway non tow with a 4" lift.

Cole Trickle
04-22-2005, 11:16 AM
I like the ride and the handling of the GM diesel trucks.Not to mention there size makes it a little easier to park and get around town.
The Ford is nice and feels like a chevy with a 3" lift.Turning radius sucks.The Powerstroke feels stronger than the D-max motor wise (Almost revs like a gas engine)
I drove a Dodge last week with the H.O. motor and it felt like a powerstroke with a 50hp chip.(I was very impressed)
The big 3 are all making good trucks and from what I have heard Jay is the man when it comes to scoring a amazing deal on a Chevy.
Brandin

Deano
04-22-2005, 11:18 AM
The Duramax kicks A**, I have a D-max and a truck w/Powerstroke...
The powerstroke is alot louder in the cab.
If you buy a Chevy, make sure you dont put a Fabtech lift kit on it. Im on my fifth set of idler and pitmans (70k miles) Unless you like your front tires woobling out of control until you either, slam on the brakes or eccelerate as fast as you can over 45mph. Makes for a nice ride home from the office :burningm:

Essex502
04-22-2005, 11:28 AM
If you should change you mind and consider the Dodge - talk to Super Tina (aka missboatnam2) as she made me a sweet deal!

bear down
04-22-2005, 11:43 AM
We love our Duramax and pulls like a dream!!! :) :cool: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v120/beardown3450/WWtrailer005.jpg

Dave C
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
Drive both and buy the one you like. I did. both have plenty of power.
The powerjoke wasn't bad... but I went with the Chevy instead.

Ziggy
04-22-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm still partial to my 7.3PSD
New '05 Ford has much better turning radius.

LAFD
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Thanks Everyone For The Opinions. Thanks Bear Down For The Pic. Do You Have A Lift On Yours?

STV_Keith
04-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I think I've posted this before, but here are my observations:
Best motor (stock power):
Dodge Cummins
Chevy Dmax
Ford 6.0
Best upgradeability (engine power):
Dodge Cummins
Chevy Dmax
Ford 6.0
Quietest engine:
Dodge Cummins
Chevy Dmax
Ford 6.0
Best auto trans:
Chevy Dmax
Dodge Cummins
Ford 6.0
Most interior room:
Ford 6.0
Chevy Dmax
Dodge Cummins
Best stock brakes:
Dodge Cummins
Chev/Ford about even
If you want the ultimate in reliability, get a 6-speed manual trans. Just about bulletproof.

GBLASER
04-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I have an 05 F250 W/6.0 and could'nt be happier. On the road it is quieter than my 02 sub, rides better (except for the 10 fwy through banning) and way more interior leg room. That is one reason that the Chevy truck would not work. Terrible back seat leg room.

djunkie
04-22-2005, 12:09 PM
I have the chevy. I love my chevy. I've driven the ford. Its ok. Has a lot of room inside but thats the only thing I liked about it. Theres nothing like the duramax allison combination IMO. I didn't even bother to look at the Dodge because I didn't feel their cab was big enough for me. Went to the river last weekend with 4 people in the truck and 2 dogs and had plenty of room and everyone was comfortable. With only 3000 miles on the truck I still got 16.5 MPG and lets just say that we were cruising at a very good pace going there and coming home.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6749new_truck_one-med.jpg

cc322
04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Alot of good reading info on these two sites, I am a ford guy so the 6.0 gets my vote, they sure seem to dominate out at the river. IMO the Chevys are very small inside.
http://www.thedieselstop.com/
http://www.ford-trucks.com/

Dave C
04-22-2005, 12:44 PM
naw the chevy is big enough, the ford is just too big (and heavy) if there is such a thing! :rollside:

Bling Bling
04-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Drive both and buy the one you like. I did. both have plenty of power.
The powerjoke wasn't bad... but I went with the Chevy instead.
Powerjoke, that was good. DMAX all the way. Don't know if ya all know this. As of 3 weeks ago an automotive report was out saying Ford has more vehicles in lemon law cases then any other manufacture. That about sums it up for me. :D

INSman
04-22-2005, 01:02 PM
Cummins is junk due to the weak tranny...
DMAX with the Allison is an unbeatable combo, period, end of story.

cc322
04-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Powerjoke, that was good. DMAX all the way. Don't know if ya all know this. As of 3 weeks ago an automotive report was out saying Ford has more vehicles in lemon law cases then any other manufacture. That about sums it up for me. :D
Thats because FORD sells twice as more then anyone else. As far as the report havent seen that one yet only saw the one about the huge recall on the GM tailgates falling off.

Jordy
04-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Thats because FORD sells twice as more then anyone else. As far as the report havent seen that one yet only saw the one about the huge recall on the GM tailgates falling off.
Yeah, that tailgate support issue was a biggie. Sure wish it was something like bad turbos, injectors, Firestone tires, or any of the minor ford issues. LOL :D :D :D

cc322
04-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I knew it wouldnt take you long :wink:

BIGTYME
04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I am in a similar situation as well. I like the looks of both of them from the outside, however, Ford feels and looks like a work truck inside ( very bland ) and the chevy has a much better interior than the ford. Hands down. When your in the ford you feel like your gonna be at the construction site soon and when in the chevy you feel like your in a nice vehicle not a truck. My .02
Holy crap the ford is LOUD! The chevy wasn't loud at all.

Dave C
04-22-2005, 01:38 PM
whats the big deal? so how much can a turbo or injector cost?.... not that much ;)
now bad tailgates supports that could cause some real damage if it fell off and hit someone... like maybe a lawyer :devil:
Yeah, that tailgate support issue was a biggie. Sure wish it was something like bad turbos, injectors, Firestone tires, or any of the minor ford issues. LOL :D :D :D
LMAO

LAFD
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
So Whats Up With The Tailgates They Just Fall Off?

Party Cat
04-22-2005, 02:37 PM
Not at all...there was a recall on the cable that holds em up when ya open the tailgate...

LAFD
04-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Oh I See. The Way It Sounded Made It Like They Just Fell Off. Thanks.

DM25CITATION
04-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Ford All The Way.....my F250 Is The Best. With A 8' Lift,37' Tires, I Can Go From Moorpark To Havasu On One Tank. Great Mileage. (without The Boat Of Course).

bear down
04-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Thanks Everyone For The Opinions. Thanks Bear Down For The Pic. Do You Have A Lift On Yours?
No Lift stock 4x4 Height on the truck...I just put some bigger tires....Sits pretty high considering it's stock...I can go 33's if I wanted to but would need to save a piece off the front bottom bumper spoiler. Both the Ford and Chevy are great trucks..The Ford looks meatier but we use this truck to play in the sand in the winter and the river in the summer and we spend a lot of time driving in the rig.. We went with the Chevy because of the interior ergonomics...Better seats, Visually looks nicer (not truck like), nice bose system and xm kicks ass and rides a bit better than the ford. The chevy tows like a dream..I tow about 15k lbs and the allison works like a charm...coming down the hill I really don't have to hit the brakes...I just let the tranny do the work!

riverroyal
04-22-2005, 02:57 PM
when was the last time a good stroke didnt make you happy?

Jrocket
04-22-2005, 02:58 PM
2wd,Id get a Chevy,if I got a 4wd it would be a Ford.I couldnt find a 2wd at the time so I bought a Ford.Has been a good truck with a few very small problems,nothing more than my buddys have had with there new Chevy's.I havent had any trannys problems but I did get a notice asking me to bring the truck in for a tranny inspection.I'll wait till it breaks then worry about it.Its under warranty.Both trucks run well,the Ford is roomier,the Chevy has more of a prettier look to it.Chevy rides better but I cant see me buying a 4wd with IFS front end,so I got a Ford.
Other than that I like them both.When the new body style Fords come out,If i dont like them Id have no problem buying a Chevy 2wd that is.
The only real problem with Chevy is the owners like Jordy and the all too often Corvette guy with the stupid mustache and driving gloves on! Oh and of course Bling! LOL :D

JetBoatRich
04-22-2005, 03:00 PM
PSD
I like our Ford, lots of room and the engine has plenty of power :cool:

cc322
04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
I got your back.....
Dont get me started on my dura-SHIT-max__________________
:argue: :D :D :D WOW

GBLASER
04-22-2005, 04:43 PM
Power stroke all the way...'05 5 speed tranny, could not be any smoother. Tow haul holds the speed on hills. There is a world of difference between the '04's and '05's as far as ride and noise. no comparison.

INSman
04-22-2005, 05:44 PM
They just create drag anyway, who needs em' ?? :D

voodooCanoe
04-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Test drive both , then go buy the Dodge. Trans isn't weak anymore. Once they went from the 47 to the 48 trans they have been very, very strong. Have been in Dodge service for 15+ years and have yet to see a failure in out shop on the 48 trans! We also install the Bully Dog performace packages and the
transmissions are holding up with no problem.!!! Just my .02.

DEMOMAN
04-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Ford puts a 5.9 Cummins in their f-650 & 750. Wonder why they don't use the powerstroke? Buy the Dodge.

slingingsmoke
04-22-2005, 11:48 PM
I have Both.
2004 D-Max CC LB Allison
2004 F250 PSD/ Torqshift CC LB FX4
By far the best towing machine all around is my PSD. Hands Down. This is coming for a die hard chevy guy (atleast I used to be). My PSD used to be quieter than the D-Max until I got the latest and greatest Reflash from Ford :hammerhea.
Both trannies are great, the Allison likes to lock up the torque converter when coasting down hill, it kinda bugs the hell out of me.
The Torqshift unlocks it and just feels smoother. IMHO the Torqshift is a better tranny.
**REMEMBER** the Allison Tranny used in the D-Max is NOT THE SAME Allison model used in the Heavy Duty truck lines. Two very different beasts.
Interior appearance Chevy hands down. Interior room Ford hands down.
Exterior appearance Ford hands down.
Oh, and if you dont like the lowrider look of the Chevy and you want to lift it w/ some 35's. Make sure you take care of the weak points. The Tie rods SUCK.

JetBoatRich
04-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Ford puts a 5.9 Cummins in their f-650 & 750. Wonder why they don't use the powerstroke? Buy the Dodge.
Pretty interseting :D we just bought a F650 at work last week, it also has the Allison Trans :notam:
I still would not get rid of our PSD :D

slingingsmoke
04-23-2005, 01:51 PM
They just create drag anyway, who needs em' ?? :D
http://truck-bed-covers.com/Tonneau_covers_save_fuel.htm
A university study was done using F-150 sized trucks that showed tailgate down HURT mileage by disrupting the air pressure bubble that is created in the bed. All the "truck" tv shows latched onto it and spread it as gospel. They technically are right, but I dont think it applies to us bigger trucks. Too many differences.
They need to re-run that study and do it with some crewcabs, regular cabs, and short and long beds and see if the pressure bubble changes or moves based on truck config
Another Favorite for truck customers is whether or not the removal of the truck's tailgate in anyway impacts fuel economy.
Judging by the numbers of tail-less trucks driving down the highway, one would assume that their owners must have figured out driving with the tailgate down gives better fuel milage. And that kind of makes sense; the wind rushes over the cab and hits the tailgate, so it ahs to slow the truck down and reduce the fuel economy, right?
But as many customers already know, modifications may be visually appealing but may not always be cost effective. At least that's what the automotive designers find when they start placing pickup trucks in wind tunnels.
Bursting Their Bubble
According to design experts, the truck tailgate if designed to create a cushion of air in the bed that aerodynamic engineers called a "seperated bubble" (the real nerdy ones refer to it as "Locked Vortex Flow.") Jargon aside, this invisible bubble of air actually helps deflect the faster moving wind coming over the cab so it passes over "Putting the tailgate in the down position tends to increase turbulence and drag of the open box," explained Jack Williams, of Ford Aero Systems Engineering. "We've seen drag increase as much as .5 to 1 percent. Flow-through, web-like fabric replacement tailgates tend to increase drag even more; we've seen increases as much as 4 to 5 percent." In a nutshell, all of that extra drag translates into worse fuel economy for the vehicle.
Dr. Edward Fitzgerald, an aerodynamics expert and a jet engine designer with Boeing, added that the effect is actually magnified with speed increases, so that 1 percent increase in drag with the tailgate down as city speeds has much more adverse effects on fuel economy at 70-75 mph on the open road.
Contrary to another5 popular myth, pickup size doesn't matter. Toyota engineers report that although the haven't done any EPA testing, they speculate dropping the tailgate can actually decrease fuel economy depending on the cab and bed configuration of the pickup.
As If That Weren't Enough...
Another concern with having the tailgate down or removed completely is the damage done to the tailgates exposed hinges and inner workings.
Driving with the tailgate open has been likened by some to slamming it closed repeatedly for whatever amount of time your customers are driving down the road. The bumpier the road, the worse the abuse.

Just Tool'n
04-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I Just bought a Chevy D/Max, My buddy just bought a Ford F-250Superduty with the 6.0L diesel, both nice trucks, chevy is more user friendly inside.
The reason I bought Chevy was Long time loyalty to GM, But was on the Fence on Ford VS Chevy this time!
The deceiding factor was Transmission, Plain & Simple. Being in the tool business I go into both dealerships, Ford & Chevy. Ford has had alot more Tranny problems in the Diesels, Than Chevy did or does.
Now Ford did change the Tranny in 05 on the Superduty's. So It will take some time to see if they are better. This summer when it gets hot should be a test if they hold up. Heat allways tears up Tranny's.

slingingsmoke
04-23-2005, 04:39 PM
actually, the 5 speed torqshift has been on the superdutys since 2003, with the first intro of the 6.0 PSD

little rowe boat
04-23-2005, 05:10 PM
Powerstroke 1st,then the Cummins 2nd.Don't even bother with the Duramax.

INSman
04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Either way, smart money would add a Mag Hytec tranny pan and diff cover.

Kilrtoy
04-23-2005, 05:21 PM
Come on MR BLING,
They also have 3 times the amount of vehicles on the road, so it all equals out.....

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 05:25 PM
Either way, smart money would add a Mag Hytec tranny pan and diff cover.
I agree,now I just need to do it.

Boozer
04-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Chevy or Ford?
If it were me Ford would not even be an option the debate would be between Chevy and Dodge. The Dodge Cummins engine is the sh*t PERIOD! However, in my most recent dealings with Dodge I have not been happy with the service I have recieved from them. When the truck goes in for warranty work I get the worst service from the service writers imaginable and it doesn't matter what dealership I go to they all seem to suck the same. Needless to say I'll have a hard time buying a product from Dodge again.
If it were me I'd buy the Chevy with a Duramax. Everyone I know who wons a Chevy with the Duramax (with the exception of 1 person) has been very happy with their Chevy. This is all not to mentiont that there is no possible way you are going to get a better deal on a Diesel powered truck like the deal you'll get from Jay. If most car salesman sold trucks at the price Jay does they wouldn't be selling cars for very long because they wouldn't be making very much money.
Go work a deal with Dodge go work a deal with Ford then go work a deal with Jay. I'd be willing to bet you $100 that Jay's deal will blow anything else you find out of the water.

djunkie
04-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Chevy or Ford?
Go work a deal with Dodge go work a deal with Ford then go work a deal with Jay. I'd be willing to bet you $100 that Jay's deal will blow anything else you find out of the water.
Ya he does make it pretty easy. I called him just out of curiosity on a price and I ended up with a new truck over the phone. Couldn't pass it up. :D