PDA

View Full Version : Hydro vs. Runnerbottom.

dmontzsta
04-22-2005, 03:46 PM
So me and my friend are having a slow Friday here at work and were talking about the different boats we would like to own (to the collection). I told him I plan on having the Lavey forever, it will be my all around boat...good ole ski flat, once I am done with that, then I plan on picking up a circle boat and after that probably a hydro or runner. He said "Why not just buy a runner? it will turn better than a hydro and trap air like one". So this got me thinking, just how different are they in the straights?

BIGCHRIS
04-22-2005, 04:36 PM
All my friends have runners so I like them alot. One is a 9 second boat and i have drove it a few times ITS LIKE IT IS ON A RAIL and U still have to drive it a little the pedal u know .I havent got to drive a hydro yet but i here the are great to, just mash and go . I here they dont turn so good either and take water over the front easy to so i dont know :D :D but they look so awesome, i have got to own one some day :D :D

EXTREMEBOATS
04-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Runners are the fastest of the flats. When ever you reduce friction you increase speed. 500 HP in a true flat may run 100 mph, that same moter in a runner flat may run 110 mph, same motor in the hydro may go 130 mph. Less friction more speed same power. As far as handling a flat or runner will run circles around a hydro, and that is the trade off. If really wanna go fast ya gotta have a hydro! :D :D Mike

dmontzsta
04-22-2005, 06:14 PM
Hydros do look sick, oh well...one day I will own one of each, it isnt too hard. :idea:

speedaddict
04-22-2005, 08:12 PM
I'm lovin' the hydro!!! It's faster and scarier than my flatbottom. Then again it has quite a bit more power. I need to fix my speedo pickup or bring the gps next time!

funnycarmike
04-22-2005, 09:37 PM
I have driven a few runnerbottoms and one true flat. Absolutely loved them. I have never driven a hydro but I am sure they are cool too. I know I am going to take flack for this but as a drag boat spectator and a asphalt racer I really enjoy the fact that it takes alot of skill to drive a flat. much like a funny car v.s. a dragster. The dragster and the hydro you just point and stab, the flat and the f/c you have to drive! As Hud would say.......C'mon!!!!

dmontzsta
04-23-2005, 07:49 AM
So if a runner is around 10mph faster than a flat. How much faster would a hyrdo be over a runner?

LakesOnly
04-23-2005, 10:04 AM
Dmontzsta, According To Extreme Boats:
500 HP in a true flat may run 100 mph, that same moter in a runner flat may run 110 mph, same motor in the hydro may go 130 mph. :D Mike
By the way Mike, I like the spirit of your avatar, but seriously, if you're gonna make that kind of a statement, at least put a true action shot and not a fake one. :D
LO

Fiat48
04-23-2005, 10:26 AM
So if a runner is around 10mph faster than a flat. How much faster would a hyrdo be over a runner?
20 or more. Depending on how good the Hydro is.

EXTREMEBOATS
04-23-2005, 07:19 PM
:idea: Well Lakes, If I could get away with a more daring avitar I would. But with all the youngens on the site... And yes a hydro will run 20 to 30 mph faster than a flat or runner. Its all in the man behind the wheel... I've had several of each over the years, but I still like hydros best. Yes they are less "work" to control but im getting to slow in my old age to and when shit happens I like the less painfull out come. All though I did have a run in with a chanel marker a year ago. F*#@kin Manates... Im trying to find the time to start on my new deaver. Building boats for a living just aint all its cracked up to be... :hammer2: :jawdrop: Mike Oh yea F*#@KING DIAL UP is still on the blink... :cry: