PDA

View Full Version : External wet sump oil systems?

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 05:29 PM
Anybody running an external oil pump wet system,non dry sumped?I'd like to see some pics of how you have it set up or some info on what you've got.

Kindsvater Flat
04-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Here's my deal but then again its a chrysler thing :D
http://www.saber.net/~atthefarm/folder/pics/oil.jpg

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 06:42 PM
Nice job,I'm thinking of running one on my turbo motor.Actually its already in the works but Im curious on what pumps people are having good luck with,and whats the best brand to deal with tuning wise?

Kindsvater Flat
04-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Well chrysler uses a an external pump anyways so it was easy to add the external pickup to the pan. I sure with gm you would have to use a belt driven pump. Can't see it being that hard to do.

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 06:51 PM
So far its going to be a jesel belt drive with a cam driven oil pump or atleast thats what were planning on.

Fiat48
04-23-2005, 08:02 PM
If you are taling Chevy here, the external single stage pump is so pricey that most guys just do the dry sump if going that far. Dry sump...oil pressure unless upside down. The only way to fly.

78Eliminator
04-23-2005, 08:16 PM
If you are taling Chevy here, the external single stage pump is so pricey that most guys just do the dry sump if going that far. Dry sump...oil pressure unless upside down. The only way to fly.
That actually lends to a question I have always had but forgot to ask. How does an airplane maintain oil pressure when upside down?

Fiat48
04-23-2005, 08:37 PM
Must be a hell of a tank baffle. :supp:

Jrocket
04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Must be a hell of a tank baffle. :supp:
LMAO...with a good sealing cap!
The motor is a Chevy and I thought of going dry sump but didnt want the worry of a belt problem or the extra lines and tanks.I want to keep it clean and simple.the pump is about 500-650 and then what ever fittings and line to get it plumbed but Ive got so much other plumbing to do,turbo's,intercoolers and sea strainers etc.I didnt really want a dry sump mess as well in there.Just wanted to get the stress off the cam/distributor gear.

steelcomp
04-23-2005, 10:20 PM
That actually lends to a question I have always had but forgot to ask. How does an airplane maintain oil pressure when upside down?Most airplanes aren't rated for inverted flight, so if they do go upside down, it's not for long. Anything you've seen fly upside down for longer than a roll or two has a full drysump syst. that's designed for inverted flight. Remember, most airplane angines are flat opposed types...they really don't care if they're upside down AFA the crankcase is concerned, as long as they're getting oil to where it belongs. A V8 would have to have some serious scavenging in the valve covers!

Infomaniac
04-24-2005, 06:12 AM
Moroso makes a good single stage external pump. I have been dying to try one but have not yet.

Sleek-Jet
04-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Most airplanes aren't rated for inverted flight, so if they do go upside down, it's not for long. Anything you've seen fly upside down for longer than a roll or two has a full drysump syst. that's designed for inverted flight. Remember, most airplane angines are flat opposed types...they really don't care if they're upside down AFA the crankcase is concerned, as long as they're getting oil to where it belongs. A V8 would have to have some serious scavenging in the valve covers!
Even then, they are only rated for so many seconds of inverted flight.