PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cooler?

sanger rat
04-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Has anybody ever plumbed their fuel line through a oil cooler? Just wondering if it would work. Would the water temp be low enuff to be worth while? How hot does the fuel get in the tanks sitting out in the sun all day? What do you all think?

steelcomp
04-23-2005, 08:27 PM
Has anybody ever plumbed their fuel line through a oil cooler? Just wondering if it would work. Would the water temp be low enuff to be worth while? How hot does the fuel get in the tanks sitting out in the sun all day? What do you all think?
Sounds like a lot of work for no noticable difference.

Mr.&Mrs.Budlight
04-24-2005, 06:51 AM
Sounds like a lot of work for no noticable difference.
I second that Steelcomp! I have a buddy who tried it on the river, no difference, maybe some on racetrack. Maybe add 3or4 ft of fuel line and stick it in your icechest, just don't strangle yourself getting a cold beer!!!! Ha Ha Budlight

steelcomp
04-24-2005, 07:56 AM
I second that Steelcomp! I have a buddy who tried it on the river, no difference, maybe some on racetrack. Maybe add 3or4 ft of fuel line and stick it in your icechest, just don't strangle yourself getting a cold beer!!!! Ha Ha Budlight
Anything that gets in the way of getting the beer out of the cooler is definately a bad idea!! LOL!
:D

victorfb
04-24-2005, 09:47 AM
useing a bypass fuel preasure regulator will help keep the fuel cooler as it circulates through the system instead of being trapped untill needed. also useing a heat dissapating spacer between the carb and manifold will lessen the heat the carb gets from the engine keeping the fuel in the bowls slightly cooler. the bypass regulator has a second benfit as i have found that it does not change preasure setting in changing temps like the dead head style regulators did. i dont think the investment of money and time to install a "fuel cooler" will have that much of a benefit. but its your call.

sanger rat
04-24-2005, 10:19 AM
OK, It was just a thought.

DeputyDawg
04-24-2005, 10:45 AM
If you wanted to do something to cool the fuel I would recommend using a fuel cool can like the one Moroso makes instead of an oil cooler.

moneysucker
04-26-2005, 04:26 PM
My surge tank has an insert for dry ice too, You could try that. Cool can is already made and will cool the fuel way more than the oil cooler will.
Cy

SB
04-28-2005, 07:49 AM
What is the point? You want gas to evaporate to create a combustible fuel/air mixture. Maybe you want it warmer.

superdave013
04-28-2005, 07:56 AM
if you are going to do anything do the cool can or the dry ice tube in the tank. You prolly won't notice the difference unless you are looking for 0.0_ seconds on a time slip.

Aluminum Squirt
04-28-2005, 09:17 AM
SB, You have the right idea, but I think evaporate is maybe not a good word, you want your fuel well atomized. Cool fuel is good and helps even more with cool air, it gets more of both into the combustion chamber, reduces the chances of pre-ignition etc. Cool air/fuel, equals a dense charge. You still need to jet appropriately, and as everybody said, this would probably only make a difference at the track when you are looking for hundredths of a second and you have an already extremely fine tuned set up. I still sort of like the idea, I've had to talk myself out of putting a cool can on my boat more than once-Aluminum Squirt

Hemicbx
04-28-2005, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I agree that it really wouldn't be worth anything, but I did see that Hardin has this cute little sea water strainer/filter for cooling systems that has a built-in fluid cooler for whatever. . .
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/620-913200.jpg

Squirtcha?
04-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I agree that it really wouldn't be worth anything, but I did see that Hardin has this cute little sea water strainer/filter for cooling systems that has a built-in fluid cooler for whatever. . .
http://www.cpperformance.com/images/620-913200.jpg
That's pretty trick!