PDA

View Full Version : Dry Headers

460 jus getn it
04-23-2005, 08:51 PM
since i just got my headers jet hoted i want to know if i need to put any type of caps over the water injection valves. i have my lines hooked up but want to hear it dry.

LVjetboy
04-23-2005, 08:57 PM
If you run dry for long you'll cook the coating. No big deal jet hot has a warranty. But I wouldn't advise...a hassle for recoat and no significant performance gain. Only 50 rpms on my jet. Not worth "hearing it dry?" But hey, it's your pipes.
jer

steelcomp
04-23-2005, 09:35 PM
since i just got my headers jet hoted i want to know if i need to put any type of caps over the water injection valves. i have my lines hooked up but want to hear it dry.
Run 'er dry, and run 'er loud!! I live for that beautiful sound!! I ran water through mine once last year. Otherwise, it was always dry. No problems with my ceramic coating. Rewarder. Good stuff.

460 jus getn it
04-23-2005, 09:47 PM
but do i need to plug the water injection valves. i was told that i have to plug so it doesnt pull cold air into the exaust.

LVjetboy
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
"No problems with my ceramic coating. Rewarder. Good stuff."
Ya right.
jer

Taylorman
04-24-2005, 05:16 AM
but do i need to plug the water injection valves. i was told that i have to plug so it doesnt pull cold air into the exaust.
That sounds like the best bs advice ive heard in a while. Are you using a t valve? Just cap the line before the t valve and leave the water lines hooked up to the headers. Like lv said, you will not notice any perf gain. They are louder and much hotter. I would not run dry if you just spend $300 on jet hot. They will dull. There are many people on the boards that say that dry headers dulled their ceramic coat.
Sounds like their is a little tension between steelcomp and lv.

Squirtcha?
04-24-2005, 07:20 AM
That sounds like the best bs advice ive heard in a while. Are you using a t valve? Just cap the line before the t valve and leave the water lines hooked up to the headers. Like lv said, you will not notice any perf gain. They are louder and much hotter. I would not run dry if you just spend $300 on jet hot. They will dull. There are many people on the boards that say that dry headers dulled their ceramic coat.
I'd second that............I've tried running mine dry, and found no gain in rpm/speed.
If you wanna make a pass, that'd probably be o.k. then put the water back to em. It'll definitely frost the first 6"- 8" of your coating running em dry for too long.
Or at least it did mine. Not sure who did the coating on em though, as I bought em used (already coated).

steelcomp
04-24-2005, 07:39 AM
T Man quote:Sounds like their is a little tension between steelcomp and lv
Not on my end...He's never even seen my headers, so he has no grounds to comment on that...sounds like there's a little tension between Lv and Rewarder. Lv does get a little annoying...he's been on one of his "pissy-whiney" streaks lately, but he goes away after awhile.
My headers are black, and they do have a dull finish to them, so it wouldn't show if they did cook. It was one of the reasons I went that way, because I like to run open/ dry whenever I can. :D
There's a company in OC called Cermatech who used to do the exhaust systems on my Cobras. These guys use a different material than JetHot..their primary business is turbine engine internals. They would only charge $200.00 to do a set of headers...black or silver, and their stuff looks twice as nice, and dosen't discolor or burn. The primaries on the Cobra headers always looked good...no water there. :coffeycup

tahitijet
04-24-2005, 12:33 PM
If i'm not mistaken the warranty is only good to 1300 degrees.. The temp at which the headers fog is slightly over this. They know that and thats is why they pic 1300 so they don't have to warranty dry headers. IF you run them dry they will frost and will frost quickly.. my right side had an obstruction and ran dry for just a few minutes and fogged up really bad.
I wouldn't recomend it if you want to keep that nice look you have now.
but thats just my 2 cents

LVjetboy
04-26-2005, 04:55 AM
Steelcomp posted: "He's never even seen my headers, so he has no grounds to comment on that...sounds like there's a little tension between Lv and Rewarder."
I could care less about Rewarder or Basset or Jet Hot. I just post my experience.
Steelcomp posted: "Lv does get a little annoying...he's been on one of his "pissy-whiney" streaks lately, but he goes away after awhile."
Very mature Steel.
Steelcomp posted: "My headers are black, and they do have a dull finish to them, so it wouldn't show if they did cook. It was one of the reasons I went that way, because I like to run open/ dry whenever I can."
But 460's original post had little to do with yours. Most who get coated want to keep the coating good. As I read his first post I figured he was thinking cut the water injection 'cause I'll get more power and after all, I got ceramic. As I said, performance gain from injection to no water is little if any. But with injection you'll keep the coat w/o not. So why run dry? 50 rpm = what? So what if you run your black headers dry and don't notice your coating is oxidizing? Are you gonna outrun me wet? :D
And how do you know he wants to oxidize his coating for 50 rpms?
jer

steelcomp
04-26-2005, 05:46 AM
Are you gonna outrun me wet?
Unless you've made some big changes, that wouldn't be much of a problem. Nope...no problem at all. :sleeping: :sleeping:

moneysucker
04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Get some 1/4 pipe plugs and screw them in, The cold air in the exaust is not as big of a problem as the burned carpet or fiberglass dammage from the exaust gas heating the bottom of the boat. I run dry and my coating fogged bad. I am going to have them re coated and run them wet once I get my new chrome ones.

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 04:16 PM
not running dry. i didnt like the idea that they will dull. the dulled the first 6 inches already from idle, so i dont want them to dull anymore. steel comp and jet boy just kiss and make up, if not just go to bench racers and duke it out over there :D :D :D

Squirtin Thunder
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
How does a boat that is apart out run a boat that runs and is ready to get wet ???
:crossx: Thats right Bench Racin !!!! :crossx:
I bet LVs Stereo is louder than yours !!!! :220v:
But then again that ride plate and all the cad drawings even with a 110mph boat you won't catch him !!! :sleeping: :sleeping:
I almost forgot all 250lbs of stereo equipment !!! :eek:
I think he has you hands down Steelcomp !!!! :2purples:
What are you thinking ???? :hammerhead

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 05:14 PM
How does a boat that is apart out run a boat that runs and is ready to get wet ???
:crossx: Thats right Bench Racin !!!! :crossx:
I bet LVs Stereo is louder than yours !!!! :220v:
But then again that ride plate and all the cad drawings even with a 110mph boat you won't catch him !!! :sleeping: :sleeping:
I almost forgot all 250lbs of stereo equipment !!! :eek:
I think he has you hands down Steelcomp !!!! :2purples:
What are you thinking ???? :hammerhead
thats funny.

Taylorman
04-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Get some 1/4 pipe plugs and screw them in, The cold air in the exaust is not as big of a problem as the burned carpet or fiberglass dammage from the exaust gas heating the bottom of the boat. I run dry and my coating fogged bad. I am going to have them re coated and run them wet once I get my new chrome ones.
fyi, its actually 1/8 pipe plugs

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-26-2005, 05:39 PM
not running dry. i didnt like the idea that they will dull. the dulled the first 6 inches already from idle, so i dont want them to dull anymore. steel comp and jet boy just kiss and make up, if not just go to bench racers and duke it out over there :D :D :D
Tyro, your such a pussy. Run em dry! Dont worry bro, I will run mine dry for you :D :D

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Tyro, your such a pussy. Run em dry! Dont worry bro, I will run mine dry for you :D :D
up yours :mad: i value the money i put in to them. ill run them dry then when they need a recoat ill let you pay for it, hows that????????????

jamessampica
04-26-2005, 06:04 PM
460-jus i ran mine dry and yes they do dull down but i found that if you take {0000} steel wool and mothers it come's back just like new well almost.And i run 1450 on my pyro.Oh yes my motor is a BBC blown and Injected so that's my .02 cent's.Jet-Hoat say's the finish is good to 1200 degree's without dulling but that's what they recommened.I'll be running my coated zoomies at the FBC next weekend so drop by take a look for your self.Hope this help's in your decision.LATER!!!!!!
JIM S

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-26-2005, 06:51 PM
up yours :mad: i value the money i put in to them. ill run them dry then when they need a recoat ill let you pay for it, hows that????????????
Oh now you wanna get mad and talk shit. huh......stop crying lil baby. Be a MAN! If you dont like the noise they have a "eggbeater" That will fit perfectly on your hull :eat: How about I run mine dry and I will let your mama pay for the jethot!!! You value your money, huh....I dont. I just pitch it into a hole in the water called a BOAT!!! No need to get mad t-biscut. I will stop by later with "a bucket of extra crispy and two grape sodas". Remember "we got our rights". LOL, I like playing with ya tyro, you get so upset so easy. You can atleast tell everyone that your too scared to leave your tail up and ride with it like that :D Dont worry buddy, my boat will be done next month :D I gotcha covered;) I will keep my tail up for ya alllll day long;)
396"yours truly"

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 06:57 PM
up yours..............tell your little brother ill be over at 11. while im there i might as well service your momma, she is always up for a fill up. and all i have to do is put my tail up for a bit and that turns enough heads.

Squirtin Thunder
04-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Sure glad you wackos are friends !!!

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Sure glad you wackos are friends !!!
yea i guess ll claim him as my friend. some times he just talks out of his...... jim are still going to be at fc3 right. i want to see how that sanger really runs

Squirtin Thunder
04-26-2005, 09:03 PM
yea i guess ll claim him as my friend. some times he just talks out of his...... jim are still going to be at fc3 right. i want to see how that sanger really runs
We got a room for Friday & Saturday, Room #11. Are you still arriving on Sunday or are you going to say **** it and get your ass there on Saturday ??
i want to see how that sanger really runs
And it's capitol S in Sanger !!!

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 09:30 PM
We got a room for Friday & Saturday, Room #11. Are you still arriving on Sunday or are you going to say **** it and get your ass there on Saturday ??
ill try got a couple of things i have to do saturday but who knows they might get put off. but we are for sure going to be there sunday. il keep u informed.................

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I will be at his mamas house on saturday so we cant make it on saturday :D :D

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 10:21 PM
I will be at his mamas house on saturday so we cant make it on saturday :D :D
i bet you will. did your mom tell u that u are going to be a big brother again. i figured u would be happy about that :D :D :D :D im sorry that i had to be the one to rell you and not her but she felt bad having to tell.....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
04-27-2005, 05:56 AM
i bet you will. did your mom tell u that u are going to be a big brother again. i figured u would be happy about that :D :D :D :D im sorry that i had to be the one to rell you and not her but she felt bad having to tell.....
LMFAO :D ur crazy t-bone. hit me up at work today dog. I open til 5. Oh and I need that plate too brotha;) I gotta drag the boat to the carwash.