PDA

View Full Version : 455 olds question

whiskey & water
04-26-2006, 09:38 AM
My neighbor took off his intake and their wasn't a valley pan. Can you run them without the valley pan. What is the pros and cons

IMPATIENT 1
04-26-2006, 09:43 AM
No Pro With Pan, Intake Stays Cooler Without One.mr.gasket Makes 455 Intake Gaskets Without Pan,mr.gasket Ultra Seal Brand.

whiskey & water
04-26-2006, 10:30 AM
Impatient ----- thank you

Taylorman
04-26-2006, 10:39 AM
If you run them with the Mr. Gasket's instead of the valley pan, you should cover up the lifter valley to keep oil from spashing up on the intake. Mondello's makes a part.
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ValleySupport.gif

whiskey & water
04-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks taylor man. He has the G heads and the block has a big F on it. Anything good there. I have read in the forum on olds stuff the g head are al right. Just double checking thanks

Taylorman
04-26-2006, 01:41 PM
To be honest all of the stock iron heads are just alright. They say C heads are the best.

Boatcop
04-26-2006, 05:32 PM
C heads have bigger valves and ports and flow better than the others.

malcolm
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Not all Cs have the big valves. Depends on what they came on originally. Big valves on an Olds just means the intakes are 2.070" instead of 2". The exhausts are the same.
In a boat it's also a good idea to pour aluminum into the exhaust crossovers to block the exhaust heat out of the intake. Then it doesn't matter much if oil gets splashed under it.

IMPATIENT 1
04-26-2006, 06:55 PM
If you run them with the Mr. Gasket's instead of the valley pan, you should cover up the lifter valley to keep oil from spashing up on the intake. Mondello's makes a part.
http://www.mondellotwister.com/ValleySupport.gif
that's cool,never seen one before.do they make em for bbf's?

robk
04-26-2006, 07:52 PM
Not all Cs have the big valves. Depends on what they came on originally. Big valves on an Olds just means the intakes are 2.070" instead of 2". The exhausts are the same.
In a boat it's also a good idea to pour aluminum into the exhaust crossovers to block the exhaust heat out of the intake. Then it doesn't matter much if oil gets splashed under it.
Malcolm -
What happens if you don't have the tray and don't have the exhaust crossovers blocked and oil gets splashed on the intake? Are we talking not good for performance or something along the lines of possible engine failure?
I just replaced my stock "turkey tray" gasket with the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets and didn't bother to add any sort of tray, only because I had never heard anyone advise against it.
I'm sure there are others that are probably wondering the same thing and it seems like there's always something new to learn about the Olds...
Thanks
Rob

Boatcop
04-26-2006, 07:59 PM
I used Mondello's stainless block-off plates w/ the green gasket. Does the same thing, and a whole lot easier.
I put the new carb on the Torker today and just dry fired it for a few seconds. Purred like a kitten. No intake leaks.
Now I just have to rig the diverter and controls and I'll be set.

malcolm
04-26-2006, 08:52 PM
Malcolm -
What happens if you don't have the tray and don't have the exhaust crossovers blocked and oil gets splashed on the intake? Are we talking not good for performance or something along the lines of possible engine failure?
I just replaced my stock "turkey tray" gasket with the Mr. Gasket Ultra Seal gaskets and didn't bother to add any sort of tray, only because I had never heard anyone advise against it.
I'm sure there are others that are probably wondering the same thing and it seems like there's always something new to learn about the Olds...
Thanks
Rob
Any oil that gets splashed on the hot portion of the intake will cook and burn onto it. Also, all that heat thru an aluminum intake will most likely crack it. I would at least go the route Boatcop did to take the heat out of it.

Wally_Gator
04-27-2006, 05:18 AM
MY manifold came with Iron slugs that had to be fitted to the exhaust crossovers on the heads to block it off..