PDA

View Full Version : Droop Snoot & Cables

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 01:34 PM
I'm thinking about adding a droop snoot to my 21' jet boat. It looks like a easy enough mod. However, what is involved cable wise? I have a Hydrolic FTN place diverter. Are longer Hydro. cables required? Do you have to run all new steering and forward reverse cables? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

HBjet
01-29-2002, 01:42 PM
I don't know about the diverter cables, but you will need a steering extension. The steering cable you are using will be fine. You should be able to do this on your own.
HBjet

miller killer
01-29-2002, 01:47 PM
I believe that aggressor makes all the parts you need,get on there website they have what your looking for.

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 01:55 PM
I prefer American Turbine or Dominator myself. Thanks for the suggestion though.

miller killer
01-29-2002, 02:00 PM
Rivercrazy,what kind of pump do you have,a.t. has a diffrent type droop than others,i had a american turbine bowl,snoot and aplace diverter,the connection at the diverter is different at the connection,so make sure you get the right droop.

cyclone
01-29-2002, 02:25 PM
ok this is probably a dumb question, but humor me. What exactly does a droop snoot do? I just bought a place diverter and was wondering if I can add or should add a droop snoot to it. thanks!

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 02:40 PM
A droop lowers the thrust line of the boat. The typically creates more lift and hopefully a few more mph. I've heard it helps on heavier boats that need more transom and bow lift.
My concerns regarding adding one is I've heard it makes the boat handling a bit more muddy at slow speeds and can cause a porpose. However, with a diverter you can tune the porpose out.

cyclone
01-29-2002, 02:44 PM
thanks rivercrazy. what does one cost? I have a Berkeley 12JB pump.

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 02:48 PM
I'm looking at the Place Diverter Droop. I think it runs about $275. You can also get a ride plate with it that runs $110 and a steering extension that runs $70. Check out their site @ www.placediverter.com (http://www.placediverter.com)

cyclone
01-29-2002, 03:32 PM
ok that brings on other dumb questions. What does the ride plate and steering extension do?

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 03:39 PM
Since the droop is about 6-8" long, the steering, hydro lines, and reverse/fowrard cable needs to accommodate the added length.
The ride plate that Place Diverter sells is really like poor mans ride plate. It simply attaches to the bottom of the droop snoot.
To do it right, you need to get a machined ride plate and shoe. To do this you have to pull the motor out and remove the intake to have it machined to accept the machined shoe and ride plate assembly. GS Marine and MPD are probably the best sources if you go this route if you live in SoCal.
The purpose of a ride plate is to extend the running surface of the boat for added lift.

cyclone
01-29-2002, 03:45 PM
oh i got it. Right now my boat is flipped over in my shop. Should i pull the intake out of the hull and have them machine it for a shoe and ride plate? Where does the ride plate go? off the back of the transom to the jet? sorry for all the questions.

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 03:48 PM
What kind of boat did you have again? If your goal is to run over 65mph, I'd go and do it now. It will cost you less now versus later.
Usually a ride plate will extend from the back of the intake and bolt to the bottom of the bowl.

cyclone
01-29-2002, 04:05 PM
i have an 18' Rogers cyclone. So it goes from the back of the intake and covers that last 6-inches of the hull before the end of the transom? I need to find a picture of one. Is this the type of thing that I need to haul the boat over to a shop to have done? I'm almost done with the bodywork on the bottom of the boat.

Slick
01-29-2002, 04:14 PM
Dave, that'll be sweet. That way you can do the R&D on the droop and I'll do it on the inducer.

rivercrazy
01-29-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by cyclone:
i have an 18' Rogers cyclone. So it goes from the back of the intake and covers that last 6-inches of the hull before the end of the transom? I need to find a picture of one. Is this the type of thing that I need to haul the boat over to a shop to have done? I'm almost done with the bodywork on the bottom of the boat.
You will need to deliver the boat if you want a shop to do all the work.
I'd call GS Marine @ (909) 272-6060 or MPD @ (949) 631-2040. For some pics to to: http://home.pacbell.net/jmcclure/