PDA

View Full Version : I need BBC roller cam help please

DeputyDawg
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
Here's the deal guys. I need to re-cam an engine that I will be putting into a 21' lightweight Kevlar lay up Daytona jet that I just bought and I am not getting much help from the tech guys at the big cam manufacturers. The engine is a 522ci BBC, 9.8:1 comp., AFR CNC'd 335 aluminum heads with stainless valves 2.300 int. 1.880 ext & competition five angle valve job, Dart Tunnel Ram w/ two Holley 750 DPs, MSD ignition. Will be running Lightening water jacketed, not injected, through hull headers, will be running a prepped B cut stainless impeller and inducer. This boat will be used a lot at cruising speeds for pretty long periods(20-40 minutes) as well as a little river racing. Oh yeah, I will also be running a small shot (150hp) of nitrous too. Any help would be most welcomed.

Jet City
04-25-2005, 03:46 PM
I'll let someone more experienced help you with selection, but here's my 2 cents...If we're talking about solid roller, spend the extra money to get the pin oiling lifters (Isky RED-ZONE, Crower Hippo, Comp Endura), this will help to keep things lubed during idle, next opinion is don't get crazy with too much lift (under .680 IMO), should allow long spring life. Final thought is make sure you have the whole valvetrain system planned out well, all hardware from timing chain to stud girdles should be top quality and up to the task of the higher spring rates.

TIMINATOR
04-26-2005, 09:29 PM
B seems kinda loose for a 522 especially on squeeze. I run an A stainless Aggressor and an inducer, but I like torquey stuff, I only turn mine 5800 on the motor. I have a dozen or two BBC rollers, and lots of experience. Call me and I'll put you on course, BTW how fast ya trying to go? TIMINATOR 623-877-8553

BUSBY
04-27-2005, 12:08 PM
http://www.claysmithcams.com/ - (714) 523-0530
call George Striegel ... great advice given and the best cam builder (IMO) ... he'll set you up with the best cam for your setup
listen to what JCR said about your valvetrain ... cam has to match springs/rockers/etc.
Good Luck
Brian