PDA

View Full Version : Steering ?

Taylorman
04-26-2006, 10:27 AM
Heres my issue and im wondering if this is normal or common on jets. When im idling and running at slower speeds i have to hold my steering wheel about 45 -90 degrees to the left to make the boat go straight. At faster speeds up to wot i hold the steering wheel straight for the boat to go straight. Is this common?

FASTRAT
04-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Heres my issue and im wondering if this is normal or common on jets. When im idling and running at slower speeds i have to hold my steering wheel about 45 -90 degrees to the left to make the boat go straight. At faster speeds up to wot i hold the steering wheel straight for the boat to go straight. Is this common?
i may be totally wrong here (i usually am) but it seems like the spin of the impeller is forceing the boat to do that at idle or slower speeds...or...perhaps the pump nozzle isnt lined up quite rite...if i remember, mine does the same thing (long time since my boats been in the water) but, i dont re-call for sure (my memories gone lol :))...i'm sure someone on here can answer ur ??? better than me
fastrat

Devilman
04-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Idling along or slower speeds, I constantly move the wheel a little back & forth, to keep it going straight. Never tried just holding the wheel straight, LOL. Faster speeds though, just point & shoot.....

Danhercules
04-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Idling along or slower speeds, I constantly move the wheel a little back & forth, to keep it going straight. Never tried just holding the wheel straight, LOL. Faster speeds though, just point & shoot.....
I agree. It seems imposible to holed the wheel stright and go stright when ideling. I am a back and forth kind of guy too

IMPATIENT 1
04-26-2006, 11:14 AM
MY SJ DOES THE SAME TMAN.IF I WANT STRAIGHT AT SLOW SPEEDS, I GOTTA GO RT TO LH CONSTANTLY.

Devilman
04-26-2006, 11:17 AM
I agree. It seems imposible to holed the wheel stright and go stright when ideling. I am a back and forth kind of guy too
I don't overcorrect though, like when I first got the boat. Look like I was running a slalom course coming up to the ramp.:D
Friend of mine just got a jet the other day, took it out for the first time, never driven one in his life. LMAO, the look on his face while he was idling up to the beach, tryin so hard to keep it going straight. :D :D

IMPATIENT 1
04-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't overcorrect though, like when I first got the boat. Look like I was running a slalom course coming up to the ramp.:D
Friend of mine just got a jet the other day, took it out for the first time, never driven one in his life. LMAO, the look on his face while he was idling up to the beach, tryin so hard to keep it going straight. :D :D
I USED TO DO THE SAME, GOT TO THE POINT, I'D JUST JUMP OFF THE BOW AND SWIM IT IN TO THE DOCK,PUCKIN EMBARRASSING!

Legal Chemistry
04-26-2006, 11:35 AM
my wife was stuck doing circles the other day... phock, that took forever! Just about killed me when I thought she would be able to dock it (I guess that's a whole different story.)

Devilman
04-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I USED TO DO THE SAME, GOT TO THE POINT, I'D JUST JUMP OFF THE BOW AND SWIM IT IN TO THE DOCK,PUCKIN EMBARRASSING!
I did that before too, LOL. I went to a little gathering with some of the peeps from here on the boards, right after I bought the boat. I won't go into how I found them in the campground, that was bad enough.:D One of them catches me & tells me where they are hangin out, so I go on, unload, & cruise around the point to where they are. I come around to find 6 or 7 nice jets all anchored in close proximity, not to mention all the peeps chilling in the water. Talk about makin ya nervous.:D Once I figured I better not get any closer, I grab the anchor & bail like I'm gonna just tie it off. Too bad the water was still like 10 feet deep right there, LOL. They were cool though, didn't give me a whole lot of shit over it.....:cool:

maxwedge
04-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Back and forth steering at idle gets really bad when you have 40 gallons of gas sloshing around in the bow. Last time out with the rocks in the pump we idled along like that for about an hour and a half to get back to the ramp. I've since removed one of the bow tanks so I'm hoping it should be better this year. Mine also does also tend to crab to one side or the other at low speeds depending on the weight distribution. Pretty noticeable if my 240lb ass is the only one on the boat. Just always assumed it was the nature of the jet. :)

Devilman
04-26-2006, 11:49 AM
my wife was stuck doing circles the other day... phock, that took forever! Just about killed me when I thought she would be able to dock it (I guess that's a whole different story.)
Were you laughing? Cause that mental picture is hilarious. My wife drives mine all the time, but if she was doing that, I know I'd be laughing my ass off!:D

DD_Tahiti
04-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I just took mine out last weekend for the first time and noticed the same thing. I also just thought it was normal for a jet... :)

460 jus getn it
04-26-2006, 11:56 AM
I did that before too, LOL. I went to a little gathering with some of the peeps from here on the boards, right after I bought the boat. I won't go into how I found them in the campground, that was bad enough.:D One of them catches me & tells me where they are hangin out, so I go on, unload, & cruise around the point to where they are. I come around to find 6 or 7 nice jets all anchored in close proximity, not to mention all the peeps chilling in the water. Talk about makin ya nervous.:D Once I figured I better not get any closer, I grab the anchor & bail like I'm gonna just tie it off. Too bad the water was still like 10 feet deep right there, LOL. They were cool though, didn't give me a whole lot of shit over it.....:cool:
i remember that story...................CLASSIC.

Devilman
04-26-2006, 12:04 PM
i remember that story...................CLASSIC.
:D :D I had been researching the subject of rudders before that trip. I was beginning to wonder if I should have invested in one, LOL.
Taylorman, I don't think you have a rudder do you? I know this subject has been tossed around repeatedly & it seems like its divided about 50/50 each way. Some people say they help, others say they don't....

460 jus getn it
04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
:D :D I had been researching the subject of rudders before that trip. I was beginning to wonder if I should have invested in one, LOL.
Taylorman, I don't think you have a rudder do you? I know this subject has been tossed around repeatedly & it seems like its divided about 50/50 each way. Some people say they help, others say they don't....from my understanding it depends on the boat. i dont have one on my boat, but we have a guy we boat with, he didnt have on and he added a droop and his boat was out of control. he put a rudder on and it made the sterring way better.

Taylorman
04-26-2006, 12:27 PM
I just put my rudder back on to see if it will help. Don't misunderstand, im not talking about idleing. Im saying that when im just cruzing along at say 20-30 mph i have to hold my steering wheel turned left some. The as i go faster i have to hold it straight. Seems like with the nozzle pointed straight the boat should go straight no matter what speed your going.

IMPATIENT 1
04-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I just put my rudder back on to see if it will help. Don't misunderstand, im not talking about idleing. Im saying that when im just cruzing along at say 20-30 mph i have to hold my steering wheel turned left some. The as i go faster i have to hold it straight. Seems like with the nozzle pointed straight the boat should go straight no matter what speed your going.
i wonder if your divertor o-ring is bad? could be gushing out everywhere till ya get thrust pressure up.is there more weight on the rh side of the boat?

Legal Chemistry
04-27-2006, 10:56 AM
I was laughing my a$$ off! She just about killed me when I let her "attempt" to trailer it. Oh well, it's all in good fun -till someone dies!

Riverat84
04-27-2006, 12:11 PM
yeah me too! that happenes everytime im idling.