PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Compound Question

Kwicherbichen
04-29-2002, 04:52 AM
A buddy of mine gave me some polishing stuff (wheel for drill and some compound sticks) and I what to tap the knowledge of those that have tried before me.
There are 3 compound sticks, white, brown, and black. Which do what? I figure I'd do some small parts and hardware but don't know what order they are used or if they are for specific metals. I asked him but he doesn't know.....duh.

flattie
04-29-2002, 04:56 AM
the brown rouge is for aluminum, Green usually gives you a higher luster, White I believe is for stainless.
Try them all you will see which works the best, the rouge is used to clean the buffing wheel

Kwicherbichen
04-29-2002, 04:59 AM
What's the black one for? Is it a cutting compound maybe?

Wet Dream
04-29-2002, 11:24 AM
A drill will not give you the speed or strength (hp) you need. When you have all of your pieces smooth and ready to polish, use a high speed buffer/ polisher, start with the orange wheel (looks like a bunch of bed sheets gathered up) and the brown rouge. This will start the polishing, then finish with the white wheel (softer fabric) and the white bar.

Racing Ray
04-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Kwicherbitchen
Learn more than you ever wanted to know. Dirty job but someone has to do it!
Polishing Tips (http://www.buffingwheels.com/)

rrrr
04-29-2002, 06:30 PM
Boy I know all about this. Grey is heavy cut, brown is good for a first pass on aluminum, and white is for finishing.
How do I know? About 50 hours of polishing parts, God the black shit is still everywhere. I looked like a coal miner.
Get a die grinder and a big compressor for the small stuff, a pedestal buffer for the bigger parts. http://www.buffnstuff.com/Default.htm has good stuff, Grainger has the cheapest big buffing wheels.
Now that we have gone over all this, for God's sake send it out and let someone else do it!!!!!!

BlownChevy
04-29-2002, 07:32 PM
Hey, what are you polishing, if anything??? just curious...
Logan

Bubbledeck2
04-29-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by rrrr:
Now that we have gone over all this, for God's sake send it out and let someone else do it!!!!!!
this guy knows what he's talking about!
If you just have to do it yourself, use eye protection and a dust mask or you'll be picking that shit out of your eyes and blowing black boogers for two days.

jroos
04-29-2002, 07:42 PM
Hey Dick Head, only use the white, is it solid? If not throw it out. You gotta start with paper. Look at the threads on this. Multitude of knowledge is already there.
I`ve probably got over 1k into polishing. If you wanna listen to someone else do so. Send it out! You can`t even think about mirror if you have a full time job
Aluminum has a high gloss, stainless has a mirror, don`t qany BRF`s tell me different. I have polished tOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much shit. I use to work for Trinity Yachts,,,,,,,we built and I`m priveledged to have been a small part,. the best f`n yachts with the highest speed out there. And by the way **** Big daddy and his stupid ****ed up lookin side kick. **** all you stupid ****s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CALI can kiss my dick.............................................. .......Down here we build some bad ass shit toooooooooooooooooooo!
Bye the way GS, Ronnnie Sporal says HEY!

Kwicherbichen
04-29-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by jroos:
Hey Dick Head, only use the white, is it solid? If not throw it out. You gotta start with paper. Look at the threads on this. Multitude of knowledge is already there.
I`ve probably got over 1k into polishing. If you wanna listen to someone else do so. Send it out! You can`t even think about mirror if you have a full time job
Aluminum has a high gloss, stainless has a mirror, don`t qany BRF`s tell me different. I have polished tOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much shit. I use to work for Trinity Yachts,,,,,,,we built and I`m priveledged to have been a small part,. the best f`n yachts with the highest speed out there. And by the way **** Big daddy and his stupid ****ed up lookin side kick. **** all you stupid ****s,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CALI can kiss my dick.............................................. .......Down here we build some bad ass shit toooooooooooooooooooo!
Bye the way GS, Ronnnie Sporal says HEY!
Jroos, have you been drinking or something? Dude, I have never had a problem with any of your posts and have thought some of them to be quite informative. This one is a bit on the inferiority complex side. You start out with "Hey Dick Head"? What's up with that?
BTW guys, I don't want to send out anything because we're talking about small stuff (bolt heads and samll parts). I actually did some stainless hardware, with the drill and it came out pretty good. Would probably be even better with a bench unit. I may pick one up at a garage sale for $10 or something.

rrrr
04-30-2002, 06:48 AM
Hey kwbcn, if you are doing bolt heads, here is a bit of advice. Make a bolt holder with a long bolt or piece of all thread and a threaded rod coupling. Thread the bolt you are going to polish into the coupling. Using your belt sander upside down with 180 grit paper, sand off the mill markings and the die cut marks on the wrench flats.
If you do this before polishing it the bolt finishes out very nicely.
[This message has been edited by rrrr (edited April 30, 2002).]

Kwicherbichen
04-30-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks rrrr. I did them with the markings but you are right, they will look much better with the markings removed. That's next.

Rick Rock
06-11-2002, 03:12 PM
The best polishing bar I've used so far for smaller pcs. of aluminum is called WONDERBAR and FABULUSTER it's only $4-5.00 a bar and it doesn't seem to pit the aluminum like Tripoli. I use to spray on WD40 on my outdrive to keep the black from turning white from the alkili in the New Mexico water but I now use Corrision X....super stuff. It keeps all metals from corroding and it also waterproofs electrical items like servos, receivers, car alarm transmitters use it before or immediately after item gets wet. How about clear anodizing the polished aluminum I heard it works well making the item look like chrome.