PDA

View Full Version : 15 year old kid boating??

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:11 PM
We have a 15 year old son who desperately wants to be on the lake this weekend and watch the run with our 17’ fabuglas. I want him to know that I trust his judgment, we have talked about safety, he is responsible and I want him to be able to go. It is my wife Mary’s birthday this weekend and she and I are also going to be there with are 30’er staying at the Nautical. Mary says “he’s not staying in the room with us” I suppose she wants time alone this weekend since we have 5 kids and are pretty well tied down to our kids.
Our son TylerÂ’s girlfriends parents will also be there this weekend in there 25Â’ Eliminator cat with the girl. He wants to be there real bad! Would it be reasonable to have him do a little shoreline camping this weekend with his buddy??
I hope I can get some constructive feedback.

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Setting aside the legal issues...
...you have to ask yourself if he can handle any emergency that comes up. Is it worth the gamble?

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:21 PM
What legal issues ?

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 08:22 PM
What legal issues ?
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were going to let him use a boat.

KACHINA KEN
04-25-2005, 08:23 PM
He needs to be 16 if he is solo I think. AZ law.

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:24 PM
He does want to use a boat ??

MAINEVENT
04-25-2005, 08:26 PM
If you plan to let him drive the boat (If I understood right) this weekend will probably NOT be the safest weekend to be out boating at his age if he cant legally drive a car he should'nt be driving a boat
Just My .02

racecar.hotshoe
04-25-2005, 08:26 PM
There is nothing like seat time.But its not him I would worry about its the other guy!My own kids will not drive my boat until they have a drivers lic.and have showed me they are safe.Just my two cents........... :(

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
He needs to be 16 if he is solo I think. AZ law.
AZ GAME AND FISH SAYS 12 YEARS OLD

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 08:28 PM
He does want to use a boat ??
Maybe you should ask Boatcop...I didn't think a 15 year old can legally drive a boat, but what do I know?
Either way, people sometimes forget that boating can be dangerous. If things go wrong...they can really go wrong.

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:30 PM
Take the boater's quiz to test your knowledge 1 When are navigation lights required?
2 When do you have to report an accident?
3 What size and type of fire extinguisher must you have on a 19 foot outboard bass boat?
4 How old do you have to be in Arizona to operate a personal watercraft by yourself?
5 How many people does it take to legally water ski in Arizona?
6 What does an orange and white buoy with an orange circle mean?
7 What are the personal flotation device (PFD) requirements for a 12 foot canoe?
8 What direction is travel on Arizona lakes?
9 What ages of children must wear a personal flotation device (PFD) whenever the boat is underway?
10 What does a 'no wake' area mean?
Answers: 1 Watercraft underway between sunset and sunrise.
2 Whenever injury or property damage results from the accident.
3 One B-I.
4 Twelve.
5 Three. One skier, one operator, and one observer.
6 A controlled or restricted area such as a 'no ski' area.
7 One U.S. Coast Guard approved type I, II, or III wearable PFD for each person on board.
8 Counterclockwise.
9 Twelve and under.
10 You must operate your boat at a speed that does not create a wake but in no case more than 5 mph

Mrs CP 19
04-25-2005, 08:30 PM
maybe it's just me....but are you asking if he should camp out with his buddy or use the boat or both?? As far as boating goes, he should not be driving without a experienced boater adult in my opinion. Also, our son spent quite some time driving yhe boat and learning while we were in the boat before ever going out alone, and took coast guard boating class. my opinion.

Havasu Hangin'
04-25-2005, 08:34 PM
4 How old do you have to be in Arizona to operate a personal watercraft by yourself?
4 Twelve.
Does a PWC count as a boat? I always thought you needed a driver's license to operate a boat.

Mrs CP 19
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Knowledge of the law does not make up for experience. Period.

Boozer
04-25-2005, 08:35 PM
AZ GAME AND FISH SAYS 12 YEARS OLD
Let's just say that for the sake of argument Arizona says 12 years old. That's fine and dandy, however California police also patrol those waters and they go by California law I believe that California law requires a person to be 16 years old and licensed to drive a motor vehicle. So regardless there are potential legal issues.
Personally I don't think a 15 year old is responsible enough to operate a boat in lake Havasu. Sh*t I wouldn't even let my father run my boat in Havasu and he is almost 50. If you were to be out on a lake that's somewhat desolate then I'd say let him have his fun and drive to his hearts content but Havasu (especially Havasu on a Poker run Weekend) is not the best place for a 15 year old to be boating solo.
I'm not saying that something bad will happen but if something tragic were to happen to your son would you be able to live with yourself or feel partly if not fully responsible for what happened?

roostwear
04-25-2005, 08:36 PM
13 with an adult, 16 solo. My oldest drives with me in the boat, and he may not even solo at 16. Kids just don't pay attention all the time. That one time they don't look behind them before a turn, and...., we hear the stories every week.

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:40 PM
maybe it's just me....but are you asking if he should camp out with his buddy or use the boat or both?? As far as boating goes, he should not be driving without a experienced boater adult in my opinion. Also, our son spent quite some time driving yhe boat and learning while we were in the boat before ever going out alone, and took coast guard boating class. my opinion.
He has driven the boat for three or four seasons, I'm not real concerned about his ability to drive the boat, He will be safe and stay clear of other boats. It is the other kid that with him that concerns me. I;m afraid the friend will get Tyler to things out of character.

racecar.hotshoe
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
He has driven the boat for three or four seasons, I'm not real concerned about his ability to drive the boat, He will be safe and stay clear of other boats. It is the other kid that with him that concerns me. I;m afraid the friend will get Tyler to things out of character.
It is the other kid that with him that concerns me. I;m afraid the friend will get Tyler to things out of character.[/QUOTE]
"WINNER"

Boozer
04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Sounds like you just answered your own question.

KACHINA KEN
04-25-2005, 08:44 PM
AZ GAME AND FISH SAYS 12 YEARS OLD I may be wrong Robert but I believe that is with the guardian onboard.

mbrown2
04-25-2005, 08:45 PM
If I was second guessing myself as you are, I would not do it this weekend. Poker Run weekend is definitely a weekend the lake is more than busy...

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
5-341. Negligent operation of watercraft or water skis; restriction in operation of watercraft; violation; classification
A. No person shall operate a watercraft in a careless, reckless or negligent manner.
B. A person shall not operate a watercraft while allowing a person to ride on the gunwales, the transom or the decked over bow of a watercraft propelled by machinery operating in excess of wakeless speed except if:
1. That portion of the watercraft was designed and constructed for the purpose of carrying passengers at all speeds.
2. The watercraft is being maneuvered for anchoring, mooring or casting off moorings.
C. No watercraft shall be operated with a passenger or passengers on the bow in such a manner as to obstruct the view of the operator.
D. No person on water skis, a surfboard or a similar contrivance shall behave in a careless, reckless or negligent manner.
E. Except in case of emergency no person under the age of twelve years may operate a watercraft propelled by a motor of greater than eight horsepower unless the person's parent or legal guardian or at least one person who is eighteen years of age or older is present on the watercraft.
F. Except as provided in subsection E, it is unlawful for any person to allow another person under the age of twelve to operate a motor-powered watercraft.
G. A person violating subsection A, B, C or D is guilty of a class 2 misdemeanor.

racecar.hotshoe
04-25-2005, 09:01 PM
E. Except in case of emergency no person under the age of twelve years may operate a watercraft propelled by a motor of greater than eight horsepower unless the person's parent or legal guardian or at least one person who is eighteen years of age or older is present on the watercraft.

emjay
04-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Sounds like Robert wants us to say it's all OK...
At 15, the boy has a LIFETIME of boating ahead of him.
It should stay that way.
If there was an adult supervising him at all times... maybe,
but if anything went wrong I wouldn't want that liability.
(Even if the boat had to get towed, there'd be issues and if
he got caught, probably no drivers license till he turns 18)

Mrs CP 19
04-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Sounds that way to me as well. Maybe you are looking to justify the decision you made? Seems the advice and opinions here are against the idea. And if you are worried about another kid influencing him while operating a boat, he is NOT mature enough to do it. My opinion. Remember, there are other people out boating too.

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Sounds like Robert wants us to say it's all OK...
You are so wrong ...
What I want is feedback. NOT you all to say its ok, unless you thought it was.
This kid is doing a great job growing up and I appreciate his good work, I don't want to tell him he is to immature or irresponsible or be A negitive person that says he CANT do it. This is a big time very capible young man.
I'm going to let him take the boat but he has to hang with his 18yo cousin.

spectras only
04-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Robert , there's a hp limitation for operating a vessel. Kids under twelve can operate up to 8 HP with licence. 12-16 can operate up to 40HP ,with licence. 16 and over can operate 40+HP with licence.To operate a PWC, must be 16 and over with licence period.By 2009 everybody will be required to carry a licence , regardless of age .If you're an adult and want to operate a vessel 4 meter and under ,you're required to get a licence even if you owned and operated a 72' Buddy Davies for decades ;) :D .My son is 15 1/2 , he's been boating with me since 1 year old. He is pretty good at it, got his licence but in no way I would let him operate my boats on his own .Haven't seen a kid his age that could be responsible in an emergency situation.Just my 0.02 $ worth :coffeycup
Ps; it won't be long ,before you'll have your advice from Boatcop :shift:

Outnumbered
04-25-2005, 10:11 PM
A lot of good points have already been made here. But, what about insurance? Regardless of the law's limitation on legal age I bet there is an exclusion in your policy for drivers under the age of 16 or 18. Check it out before you decide.

dexman38
04-25-2005, 10:12 PM
Its the other people that you have to worry about. Your son may be doing everthing that is expected of him ,it is going to be that one person who has had to much to drink. The one person who is showing of for his freinds thats going to cause you the greif.If something happens you will have to pay the price. I to have a 15 year old who is responsibe there are times I would like to reward him with extra privallages but ,it only takes i a hole to turn an extra privlage into a disaster. :messedup:

robert_pv
04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
Robert , there's a hp limitation for operating a vessel. Kids under twelve can operate up to 9.9 HP with licence. 12-16 can operate up to 40HP ,with licence. 16 and over can operate 40+HP with licence.To operate a PWC, must be 16 and over with licence period.By 2009 everybody will be required to carry a licence , regardless of age .If you're an adult and want to operate a vessel 4 meter and under ,you're required to get a licence even if you owned and operated a 72' Buddy Davies for decades ;) :D .My son is 15 1/2 , he's been boating with me since 1 year old. He is pretty good at it, got his licence but in no way I would let him operate my boats on his own .Haven't seen a kid his age that could be responsible in an emergency situation.Just my 0.02 $ worth :coffeycup
Ps; it won't be long ,before you'll have your advice from Boatcop :shift:
I agree with you in that I do not want him to be in an emergency situation and at this lake on this weekend it would be ?????
We have changed his arrangements to include his 18 yo cousin and the cousins 18yo friend. Tyler is happy to be in the passenger seat this weekend.

Badseed
04-25-2005, 11:02 PM
I've been boating my whole life (like most us), my dad let me start taking his boat to Hidden Shores when i was 16 or 17. i had my dads boat, dads truck, stayed at my grandpa's motorhome down there. my buddies and some girls would pile up and take off for the weekend. my dad trusts me and knows nothing would happen. nothing ever did, with the exception of a couple dinged up props :hammer2: (par for the course in an aluminum prop family). all that fun i had down on that..."more tame"...(usually) end of the river on "off" weekends were awesome.
so being a product of it, as i'm sure most of us are, i still wont let my little brother take my boat out on a busy weekend even down by hidden and martinez. not for fear of my boat getting beat up, but the fact that there are no crumple zones in a boat....no airbags.....no seatbelts....no brakes...etc.
i say let him get his wings in a few years on some off weekends. at least then you dont have to tote the boat around for him! and on a big weekend like the poker run weekend havaZOO will :eat: a 19 footer with almost anyone behind the wheel. IMHO which probably dosent mean much since i'm not a parent. (just another schmoe that wants to see an incident free weekend with my wife at the river)

goneboatin
04-26-2005, 02:25 AM
The bottom line is, if you have reservations, (which is probably why you posted this thread), don't do it. He's got a lifetime ahead of him for boating. Let him get some seat time with you before you turn him loose.

JetBoatRich
04-26-2005, 03:51 AM
Sounds like a recipe for diaster :confused: to many other knuckle heads out there :umm: no matter how careful your son will be.

Speedin' Ian
04-26-2005, 05:18 AM
I'll take a different approach to this. First off this kid is fifteen right now and I keep hearing people talk about sixteen like it is some magic number, if he will be ready to drive when he is sixteen he is probably ready right now. I wonder how many of you were driving boats before you were sixteen, I know I was, but I also grew up on a boat and probably drove better at 15 then 75% of the other boaters out there. However that is assuming the kid has spent his life around boats and has a lot of seat time. Also it may not be a bad idea to keep him off the water during the poker run, remember some of those boats will be going over 150mph and will be covering a lot water, very quickly. Also limit where he can go and make sure he knows if he slips up he'll be missing Havasu for a very long time.

Boatcop
04-26-2005, 05:40 AM
Arizona says 12 to operate without and adult on board.
California says 16.
California Law applies on the Colorado River and its lakes, and the 16 year old age limit is being enforced by California authorities.
And to answer an earlier question, a PWC is a boat and all laws that apply to boats apply to Personal Watercraft.

ahhell
04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
There's one thing I always tell my kids...not that youre a kid, but........ If you have to ask if it ok to do, its probably not.
Im not talking about go to a buddies house or stuff like that but the things that matter or that potentially get someone hurt or worse...my .02

lardog_hb
04-26-2005, 05:59 AM
He not old enough to fully understand how dangerous a boat can
be to him or to others. I have been boating for over 20 years
and I am constantly suprised just how dangerous boating on Lake Havasu is.
I would not want my childs life in your sons hands. They are too easily
distracted. If anything were to happen you will lose everything you own
and your son will have to live with it for the rest of his life. Self-esteem
is not about putting a person in the position where he can kill himself or other
people.

Cole Trickle
04-26-2005, 06:28 AM
I tend to agree with most of the comments already posted.
If it was a off weekend and you were camping at the far end of the lake and he wanted to take the boat out by himself with a buddy for a couple hours I would probablly be all for it.(Providing there was no alchol involved)
Havasu on a big poker run weekend could make anybody nervous and probablly isn't the best place for a minor to take his first solo voyage.
I started riding stand up jet-skis at age 7 and was a better rider than most of the seasoned veterans by the time I was 11. I never once had an accident or a close call and attribute alot of my driving/boating ability to those early years spent on the river.
Age does not dictate experience seat time does.
With that being said there are certain toys I would let my kids use. I think a stand up jet-ski is a good place to start because you spend most of the time in the water trying to stay up and speed won't be a issue. I would not let my kids ride one of the new 1100cc sit down Sea Doos with out working there way up and showing me they are responsible and can handle the power.( The new skis are scary fast and are getting to be in street bike territory)
Why dosen't he go with his girlfriends parents and ride in there 25' Daytona?(Could be a great time for the dad to give him the don't mess with my daughter talk!! :hammerhea )
Brandin

nodigg
04-26-2005, 06:33 AM
My son is 16 now and has been boating his entire life of course. He is still making "teen" decisions and learning even though I consider him quite responsible. He has been PWC'ing solo for a couple of years on weekdays out here but not on weekends when its crowded simply because too many of us "adults" suck at boating too. Especially when it comes to our attitudes about "right of way" and PWC's. So for now, I say no crowded boating for him, at least not until the rest of us boaters get better at how we handle ourselves on the water. (***boaters excluded) Now if I still had the Glastron with the 85 horse Evinrude...might have to let him have a go......

callbob4homes
04-26-2005, 06:54 AM
Lots of great input here, but I think the overwhelming majority will all agree.................not on the Poker Run weekend. To me that is a no brainer.

tamalewagon
04-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Sounds like a recipe for diaster :confused: to many other knuckle heads out there :umm: no matter how careful your son will be.
Good Morning Robert. Sounds like a tough decision on your part. My kids thankfully aren't old enough for me to make these kinds of decisions just yet, but I would have to agree with all of the parents on the boards here who are commenting that this may not be the safest choice. Please understand this is only an observation and not meant personally, but it appears as though you don't want to be the "bad guy" in this situation with your son. This seems like a time for you to be "dad" instead of "friend" and reject your son's request. I have been boating since I was 2, owned my first boat at 18 and now I'm 35 and STILL wouldn't go boating at Havasu on a weekend like this. Rich is 100% correct in stating there's going to be a lot of drunken knuckleheads out there in BIG boats. A 17 foot boat is no match for what will be running at high speeds out there. Even in my mid 20's I was still making questionable decisions handling my boat and I am extremely responsible. I just don't think a 15 year old (no matter how much experience he has) has the ability to be making ALL of the correct decisions on his own on such a crazy weekend. Just my .02.

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
my son who is 15 just bought his first boat.

tamalewagon
04-26-2005, 08:04 AM
my son who is 15 just bought his first boat.
Every parent makes their own decision on whether or not they think their child is ready for that kind of responsibility. Seems like a lot of responsibility to heap on a 15 year old child. To me, that is another obstacle to watch for being that he lacks mature decision making skills. It doesn't matter how mature he is for his age. It is scientifically proven that the brain lacks the power of good judgment until the early 20's. That's why we see kids do some of the stupid things they do! Even then, it's questionable.

Powerquestboy
04-26-2005, 08:08 AM
Not on this weekend. The water is going to really rough and there are going to be a ton of boats running at rediculous speeds. I'm sure he would probably do fine but on a Poker Run weekend, or holiday weekend you begging for a disaster.

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 09:05 AM
Well per usual I gotta go against the grain. It would more depend on the kid to me. There's no doubt in my mind that my kids (providing the laws don't change) will be driving boats competently (solo) by age 12 - 14. I've been driving boats solo since I was 8 - 9 (albeit the river was alot different then). Now there's an important thing to remember here, and that is I don't have kids, which I'm sure will be pointed out several times in this thread at some point down the road. As I said before though, it depends on the kid. For example, my nephew (kid I built the 10' Schiada for) he can actually drive a boat pretty well all things considered.. He's 8 years old. I let him cruise the keys, and occasionally drive me down to Badenochs in the morning etc.. One thing I noticed with regards to him though, is anything outside of his "comfort zone" he freezes.. and I mean flat out freezes, doesn't move and just sits there like whatever problem is going to solve itself. (Personally I blame his mom for that, but that's a whole different thing to talk about). Now we go back to some other kids that I know. Believe it or not there's been alot of kids around my house over the last summer or two (and even more here in the near future, but yet another story for another time) 2 of those kids are Dalton, and my biz partners son Camren (sp?) 2 watch either one of these kids jump on a motorcycle, golf kart, drive a car, etc... Well to say that they both posses an "aptitude" for the motorsports is a bit of an understatement. I believe that atleast 1/2 trhe battle is having a knack for this sort of thing, and the other 1/2 is teaching them to act responsibly even when not in the presence of adults..
Like I said before, depends on the kid.
RD

Jbb
04-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Well per usual I gotta go against the grain. It would more depend on the kid to me. There's no doubt in my mind that my kids (providing the laws don't change) will be driving boats competently (solo) by age 12 - 14. I've been driving boats solo since I was 8 - 9 (albeit the river was alot different then). Now there's an important thing to remember here, and that is I don't have kids, which I'm sure will be pointed out several times in this thread at some point down the road. As I said before though, it depends on the kid. For example, my nephew (kid I built the 10' Schiada for) he can actually drive a boat pretty well all things considered.. He's 8 years old. I let him cruise the keys, and occasionally drive me down to Badenochs in the morning etc.. One thing I noticed with regards to him though, is anything outside of his "comfort zone" he freezes.. and I mean flat out freezes, doesn't move and just sits there like whatever problem is going to solve itself. (Personally I blame his mom for that, but that's a whole different thing to talk about). Now we go back to some other kids that I know. Believe it or not there's been alot of kids around my house over the last summer or two (and even more here in the near future, but yet another story for another time) 2 of those kids are Dalton, and my biz partners son Camren (sp?) 2 watch either one of these kids jump on a motorcycle, golf kart, drive a car, etc... Well to say that they both posses an "aptitude" for the motorsports is a bit of an understatement. I believe that atleast 1/2 trhe battle is having a knack for this sort of thing, and the other 1/2 is teaching them to act responsibly even when not in the presence of adults..
Like I said before, depends on the kid.
RD
yeah...and throw in some jello shots and a 12 pack for em! :D

Magic34
04-26-2005, 09:36 AM
I have a few issues about it. I have been boating most of my life as well. I am 26 now, and it wasn't too long ago that I was trying to take the boat at 16 years old.
I agreee with RiverDave that it depends on the kid, but I will say that this is not the weekend to do that. There are a lot of factors that you have to think about and decide how much risk you want to put on you and your family.
If the worst thing would happen, your son and friend are being responsible boaters and following the law, and some other person on the lake hits them, it won't matter to the parents of your son's friend, they are coming after you. If your boat hits another, they are coming after you for damages. You are responsible for both boys regardless of fault.
I have been to many of these poker runs in my boats, none of which were smaller than 29'. There has been a time or 2 where I was nervous with the conditions during the run. It will be rough out there on Saturday. The channel will be packed on Friday afternoon and Saturday as well.
I was just like your son, I loved these boats at his age, still do, but with the speeds and water conditions that will be on the lake on Saturday, there are dangers out there, regardless of age. Everyone needs to pay attention on weekends like these.

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 09:46 AM
my son has been on driving boats since he was 12 my pops let him take his boat to the delta on his 15th birthday with grandma when he got back the deal was made to buy his own boat bye the way grandma is 80

lardog_hb
04-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I don't want to be anywhere near a 15 year old with a 150hp meat cleaver....

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 09:52 AM
I don't want to be anywhere near a 15 year old with a 150hp meat cleaver....
What if the 15 year old was more capable then yourself with regards to skills?
RD

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 09:55 AM
bye the way. we boat at areas where there is less people .in norcal ihave a place in havasu that i own. have not seen it in three years.

spectras only
04-26-2005, 10:18 AM
[b]What if the 15 year old was more capable then yourself with regards to skills?
RD[/b/
Dave , I'm sorry but you 're totally missing the issue here :hammer2: . Robert's son is not 16 yet , and the boat is OVER 40 HP . Your nephew shouldn't drive your
10' rocket either :eat: :D .I think Boatcop will
hand you're ass to you ,hehe. Why don't you send him to the pokerrun ? :rollside:

Jbb
04-26-2005, 10:23 AM
[b][/b/
Dave , I'm sorry but you 're totally missing the issue here :hammer2: . Robert's son is not 16 yet , and the boat is OVER 40 HP . Your nephew shouldn't drive your
10' rocket either :eat: :D .I think Boatcop will
hand you're ass to you ,hehe. Why don't you send him to the pokerrun ? :rollside:
See...this is why people want to kick RD in the junk....this and slow shipping! :D

tamalewagon
04-26-2005, 10:23 AM
bye the way. we boat at areas where there is less people .in norcal ihave a place in havasu that i own. have not seen it in three years.
EXACTLY! You boat in areas where there are less people. I would trust my son or daughter to drive where I knew there wouldn't be many boaters. But this is a totally different scenario. This is at Havasu during a Poker Run weekend and giving the keys to a 17ft boat to a 15 year old.

prosthogod
04-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Don't let your son and his friend become a statistic. Just say NO.

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 11:02 AM
hi this is melissa .i let christian buy the boat. because i trust him not for how old he is

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 11:08 AM
Don't let your son and his friend become a statistic. Just say NO.
this mom is mad.when was the last time a 15 year old stole a boat and killed some body

UltraStealth
04-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Look at it this way. If you son is involved in an accident and someone decided to sue, they would be after you. We all work our a$$es of to get what we have, are you willing to let it all go with a blink of an eye? I'm sure the kid can handle the boat, but again if something happened could you deal with it? At the zoo, I wouldn't recommend it, at another lake that is less crowded, I would think about it.
Second, I believe the law is that you need to have a drivers license to drive a boat. The law you are referring to has to do with personal watercraft, jetski's, etc.

lardog_hb
04-26-2005, 11:19 AM
If you want to compare your skills to a 15 year old be my guest...

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 11:28 AM
yes it is a risk

Michael Minegar
04-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I don't post much but I feel fairly strong about this. I have two boys ages 25 and 20. I own a body shop and in 25 years in business have seen hundreds of dissapointed parents. We as parents want to give our kids everything and let them grow up at their own pace. Big mistake. You are giving the child a recipe for failure. Think about them, and not yourself. I have let my kids drive our Mastercraft since they were probably 10 years old. My wife and I sitting right there with them. Both my children were right behind the Herberts boat when that tragic accident happened at Red Rock, and they were by themselves. It was something I would not want my kids to witness. But in the end it was something they will never forget and it makes them think everytine they are in the boat. Please don't let your son take this resposibility on..

Boatcop
04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Second, I believe the law is that you need to have a drivers license to drive a boat. The law you are referring to has to do with personal watercraft, jetski's, etc.
No license or other conditions are required in Arizona, Nevada, or California to operate a watercraft. Except age.
As I said before, it's 12 in Arizona and 16 in California to operate a boat over 10 HP unsupervised. (that means without an adult actually on board)
The Colorado River and its Lakes are joint jurisdiction waterways. Each State's Officers enforce their own laws, so in effect the minimum legal age to operate a boat anywhere on the River or Lake (between Arizona and California) is 16 years old.
Personal Watercraft, Jet-Skis, WaveRunners, etc are classified as Class A inboard motorboats. As such they need to abide by all Boating Laws and Regulations, and have a few more restrictions on them that traditional boats don't.

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 11:50 AM
If you want to compare your skills to a 15 year old be my guest...
Well, I'm not a very good boat driver anyways so I'm sure there's 15 year olds out there that are way better then me. I'm still learning the whole docking procedure. Everytime I pull up to a dock I have to have 3 guys catch the boat so I don't scratch the hell out of it.. I'm sure I'll figure it out someday though..
RD

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
We have a 15 year old son who desperately wants to be on the lake this weekend and watch the run with our 17’ fabuglas. I want him to know that I trust his judgment, we have talked about safety, he is responsible and I want him to be able to go. It is my wife Mary’s birthday this weekend and she and I are also going to be there with are 30’er staying at the Nautical. Mary says “he’s not staying in the room with us” I suppose she wants time alone this weekend since we have 5 kids and are pretty well tied down to our kids.
Our son TylerÂ’s girlfriends parents will also be there this weekend in there 25Â’ Eliminator cat with the girl. He wants to be there real bad! Would it be reasonable to have him do a little shoreline camping this weekend with his buddy??
I hope I can get some constructive feedback.
RobertPV, to answer your question again with maybe a little different twist.. If the kids competent and capable I don't see anything wrong with it. I don't think I'd send them south bound and down in Havasu on this particular weekend though. Tell them to stay away from the Poker run and I'm sure all will be fine.

lardog_hb
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
If your judgement is as good as your punctuation and grammer were in
big trouble...
P.S it must be nice to have a perfect kid.
The next point you will make is that he is not perfect. It will be at this point that you will of made mine....

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 11:55 AM
I don't post much but I feel fairly strong about this. I have two boys ages 25 and 20. I own a body shop and in 25 years in business have seen hundreds of dissapointed parents. We as parents want to give our kids everything and let them grow up at their own pace. Big mistake. You are giving the child a recipe for failure. Think about them, and not yourself. I have let my kids drive our Mastercraft since they were probably 10 years old. My wife and I sitting right there with them. Both my children were right behind the Herberts boat when that tragic accident happened at Red Rock, and they were by themselves. It was something I would not want my kids to witness. But in the end it was something they will never forget and it makes them think everytine they are in the boat. Please don't let your son take this resposibility on..
ok the wifes gone.look my son has seen prop victims thats why we sent him to school for first aid

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 11:58 AM
sorry voice command computer

Boatcop
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
You can teach a Monkey the mechanics of driving a boat. The Monkey can have all the skill to put the thing in gear and steer it.
Children, teenagers, etc. lack the maturity, judgment, fear factor and common sense that (most) adults have. How many of these "competent" teenagers that are being described, know the rules of the road? How many of them know the correct thing to do when faced with an emergency situation on the water? How many of them can ignore temptation and peer pressure?
Vehicle accidents are the leading cause of adolescent and teen deaths, and that group also leads the nation in that category. That's with Driver Education, Driver Training and licenses.
There's a reason that age limits are being placed on boat operation. The number of collisions involving operators under 16 are rising and rising fast. Everyone thinks that THEIR kid is the exception, and that they know what to do, and will keep their head.
Well folks. Guess what? The emergency rooms, morgues, and cemetaries are full of kids who'se parents though the same thing about them.

lardog_hb
04-26-2005, 12:03 PM
I have very few answers but lot's of opinions.

DogMan
04-26-2005, 12:17 PM
I hope I can get some constructive feedback.[/QUOTE]
Do you trust his friend? I know you trust your son, but he is not 18 yet. That, with the fact that it is the poker run weekend, my thoughts are against it, just to be safe. He has a long life ahead of him, there will be other trips. I would keep a tighter leash on them this weekend, just my .02. Have fun...wish I could be there!

h2ospdskir
04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
I have very few answers but lot's of opinions.
same here lardog i guess were the same kind of people how old for first boat

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 12:19 PM
You can teach a Monkey the mechanics of driving a boat. The Monkey can have all the skill to put the thing in gear and steer it.
Children, teenagers, etc. lack the maturity, judgment, fear factor and common sense that (most) adults have. How many of these "competent" teenagers that are being described, know the rules of the road? How many of them know the correct thing to do when faced with an emergency situation on the water? How many of them can ignore temptation and peer pressure?
Vehicle accidents are the leading cause of adolescent and teen deaths, and that group also leads the nation in that category. That's with Driver Education, Driver Training and licenses.
There's a reason that age limits are being placed on boat operation. The number of collisions involving operators under 16 are rising and rising fast. Everyone thinks that THEIR kid is the exception, and that they know what to do, and will keep their head.
Well folks. Guess what? The emergency rooms, morgues, and cemetaries are full of kids who'se parents though the same thing about them.
Good post boatcop.. While I do'nt necesarrily agree with all of it, I can understand and see your point.
The only part that I think you and I might disagree on is that a adolescent can operate responsibly. I think part of the reason that the statistics are probably rising at an alarming rate would have to be in part becuase of PWC's. The fact that families (large groups) will take them to the river, and they just turn these "kids" lose on them with ZERO education, and ZERO experience etc.. About the only words of wisdom they get is "Have Fun!"
If a kid grew up around boats, jet skis, motorsports, etc... and spent countless hours learning/watching/discussing/practicing/and finally participating in those activities then I feel that it's arguable that they might be in a better position to drive then many of those that just go out and buy a boat (zero experience or training, or maybe one demo ride) regardless of age.
RD

racecar.hotshoe
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Well said!.......................... :hammer2:

Dino
04-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Whether in a car or boat, most people learn to react to bad situations from experience. There is no substitute for first hand experience.
and there is only one way to get it.
I guess Ill throw my .02 in.
To me it is all about the kid and how responsible he is. 12,14,15,16 doesnt matter to me. I would let my 14 year old son take my boat out before most of my friends that are in their 30s. Some kids that grew up on the river/Havasu have, by far, more experience, common sense, safety and just an all around better boating edicate than most adult drivers I have seen.
Im not sure being out there on a poker run weekend is in the best interest of even an adult. Unless safely on or around the shore. I know I wouldnt want a 45' cat coming up on me at 150+.

robert_pv
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Thank you Hot boaters for all your input.
Clearly Tyler is 15 and that is too young for operating on Lake Havasu especially this weekend. He will not be driving solo until he is at a minimum legal age and insurable. I can certainly appreciate TylerÂ’s desire to be boating on the lake this weekend and he will be; just not behind the wheel.
I wish all of you a fun and safe poker run weekend.

djunkie
04-26-2005, 01:49 PM
It sounds to me as if Robert pv is trying to talk everyone into agreeing with him that it is ok. Here is my opinion. Don't let him do it. It sounds like you have just a tad of doubt about the situation. I'm sure your kid will be mad but face it he's 15. I've been drivine boats since I was younger than that. But that was with a family member sitting next to me and and on weekdays at the river. I think this weekend would be a good idea for a 15 year old in a small boat to be let free on Lake Havasu. Especially with high triple digit boats running around.

djunkie
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Clearly Tyler is 15 and that is too young for operating on Lake Havasu especially this weekend. He will not be driving solo until he is at a minimum legal age and insurable. I can certainly appreciate TylerÂ’s desire to be boating on the lake this weekend and he will be; just not behind the wheel.
Just read this post. I think you'll be happy with your decision. Your son may not but he'll get over it. I would sleep better knowing my15 year old son wasn't out onlake havasu on a poker run weekend with a buddy.

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 02:05 PM
I think you made the right decision all n all for this particular weekend (poker run n all.) While I'm a big believer that a kid can do it, I do question if I'd ever just turn my kids lose in Havasu.. Too many morons up there from the get go. Incidentally, it is legal for the kid (by AZ standards, where's the boat registered?) and he should be insurable as a driver on said boat. To echo others though.. If there's a tad of doubt in your mind, then it's probably not such a swift idea. Better to be a strict parent, then be going to your sons funeral.

Tom Brown
04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
yeah...and throw in some jello shots and a 12 pack for em! :D
For the youngsters that share genes with Dave, that ought to sharpen them up. :)

RiverDave
04-26-2005, 02:27 PM
For the youngsters that share genes with Dave, that ought to sharpen them up. :)
Indeed... LOL :D I suppose my kid is going to be the only 14 year old around that's going to need a DD to right Tom?
RD