PDA

View Full Version : Steering

Foggerjet
04-26-2005, 05:48 AM
First, I wanted to thank Mike and the crew at Rex. I got a Complete new 17' steering system with a helm and all hardware for $150. The sales staff was helpful and knowledgable, they knew excactly what I needed. Second, I'm sure the fast guys take very particular care of their steering system, but I'd bet that there are a bunch of lake boats that need attention to the steering cable as many of these rigs are 30+ years old. My old cable worked but was tight and stiff. The new one made a HUGE difference! It is very smooth and requires little effort to turn. It was a safety issue to me. It's one of those things that you don't realize how bad it really is until you get a new one and feel the difference. I don't want to think about what would have happened if it failed w/ my family onboard. In short, check that steering!! The money is well spent and makes the boat a hell of a lot nicer (safer) to drive.
thanks again,
Justin

crf311
04-26-2005, 10:34 AM
I'll second that. I'm waiting on my new system to arrive here now. First we tried to match the old cable but couldn't . They recommended just going with a complete new system, which is the way I should have gone in the first place.

roostwear
04-26-2005, 11:12 AM
A couple years ago I almost got rid of the circus boat because of how it handled. At best it handled badly, and more often than not it was dangerous. I stripped all the steering and replaced it, and what a difference. Somewhere in the archives is the thread showing replacing the helm. Best money I've spent on the boat (a close second is the diverter :D )

Oldsquirt
04-26-2005, 11:25 AM
It amazing just how far the steering can deteriorate before we decide it's a "problem". Since it usually happens so slowly, it is almost imperceptible until one day it goes over the edge.. Nothing like the feel of a new cable to make you realize how bad an old one really was.

460 jus getn it
04-26-2005, 11:41 AM
i understand first hand what you are saying after loosing my steering on sunday at the lake. i have a brand new steering unit and the cable came half way out so i lost my ability to turn left. its a scary thing when u are crusing and another boat in your camp breaks down and u try to turn and cant, boy that moutain looked real big that close. i had to refeed the cable and replace the bolt that broke. so i make sure that your sterring system is in good shape cause u dont know till it to late....................