PDA

View Full Version : test ride...do you let them drive?

Essex29
04-27-2005, 05:57 AM
When I was selling my last boat I let a guy drive that said he was experienced and he scared the shiat out of me so I didn't let anybody else drive the boat. Did you guys let the buyer drive the boat?
What do you think?

JetBoatRich
04-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Each person is different :rolleyes: you probably need to interview them first and see if they actually have experience. Ask for a reference :D

NOTALENT
04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
haha...I unless there from the boards...U DRIVE IT!! Have him sign a Waiver, if he doesnt want to..he can watch u have all the fun.. :D

BarryMac
04-27-2005, 06:09 AM
I think that the buyer should drive but only after being questioned heavily about their abilities...

racecar.hotshoe
04-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Each person is different :rolleyes: you probably need to interview them first and see if they actually have experience. Ask for a reference :D
I would let JBR drive my boat................. :hammer2: :D

JetBoatRich
04-27-2005, 06:14 AM
I would let JBR drive my boat................. :hammer2: :D
I feel honored :D

racecar.hotshoe
04-27-2005, 06:16 AM
I feel honored :D
As you should!................Good Morning Rich........ :D

RiverOtter
04-27-2005, 06:19 AM
If someone told me I couldn't drive their boat, I'd walk away from the deal.
2 Reasons:
1. What is the seller trying to hide.
2. Sounds like the seller would be too hard to deal with and think their stuff is better than anybody elses.
A friend called for to ask me about a boat. Older boat but owned by and Aux Coast Guarder Guy. The seller said the boat was in way better shape than any others because he was an Aux Coast Guard Guy and he maintianed his boat better than anybody :rolleyes: I got on the web and found 2 like kind boats for $6,000 less. Why bother with the hard ass? ;)

superdave013
04-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Well, I've never drivin any of the boats I've bought over the years.

Nubbs
04-27-2005, 06:37 AM
No drive, no deal. Although, I would expect the seller to bring us to a spot where it's safe to let the buyer drive.

HocusPocus
04-27-2005, 08:24 AM
if you really expect to sell it.. ya gotta be willing to let them drive it. you can always have them walk the plank if they get stupid. :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

CARGUY
04-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Experience is obviously important, but equally important is "does the buyer have the financial means to buy your boat"? Every boat I sold, me and the buyer came to a price agreement based on the buyer liking the ride of the boat, and the buyer had to prove he/she had the financing/cash lined up, and away we went. No money changed hands before the demo, and after the demo the boat was sold based on the details agreed to.
This just saves you from having to launch and wipe down your boat for every transom kicker with a decision making disorder.
Of course the above applies only if your boat isn't already on the water.

jackpunx
04-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Unfortunatly you got to let them drive.. but under your conditions.. Give them some rules..
not to exceed ??RPM's
or ?? speed..
explain trim settings .. get a comfort level and let them hit it a little..
If I were to sell my boat.. I wouldnt even consider it if the person didnt have the experience required to drive it.. It would be hard to turn the money down..
but I would..
now.. in another boat.. Like my girls boat.. we'll be selling that .. I'll have to let them drive.. but if they dont do it the way I tell them too.. OUT!.. I dont want them to thrash my stuff.. nor hurt me in the process..
good Luck Terrick
Let me know if you need some help..
Mark

Dave C
04-27-2005, 08:42 AM
just like in Mexico... you break you buy

Essex29
04-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Unfortunatly you got to let them drive.. but under your conditions.. Give them some rules..
not to exceed ??RPM's
or ?? speed..
explain trim settings .. get a comfort level and let them hit it a little..
If I were to sell my boat.. I wouldnt even consider it if the person didnt have the experience required to drive it.. It would be hard to turn the money down..
but I would..
now.. in another boat.. Like my girls boat.. we'll be selling that .. I'll have to let them drive.. but if they dont do it the way I tell them too.. OUT!.. I dont want them to thrash my stuff.. nor hurt me in the process..
good Luck Terrick
Let me know if you need some help..
Mark
Thanks for the offer Mark!

OutCole'd
04-27-2005, 09:11 AM
So, what is your screen name going to be now?
Formerly known as Essex29
Who was formerly known as;
TheGreyGoose
:rollside:

Essex29
04-27-2005, 10:02 AM
So, what is your screen name going to be now?
TheGreyGoose
:rollside:
Currently known as the Unknown, that was
formerly known as the....
TheGreyGoose
.....how about I sell the boat first and then I can be cool and have everyone help me pick a name and not tell anyone about it until I buy the boat? :hammer2:

RiverDave
04-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Currently known as the Unknown, that was
formerly known as the....
TheGreyGoose
.....how about I sell the boat first and then I can be cool and have everyone help me pick a name and not tell anyone about it until I buy the boat? :hammer2:
LOL... :D
RD

Jbb
04-27-2005, 11:11 AM
When I sold my jet the guy came from Michigan with cash.....we went for a spin ....and I had to force him to drive it then.....bought it on the spot...I would never buy anything I could not test drive :jawdrop:

HCS
04-27-2005, 11:33 AM
I would be really cautious letting someone I didn't know drive a jet boat.
But what are ya gunna do, if you want to sell it you may need to let them drive it. Just make sure their serious.

Bre
04-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Gotta let them drive it unless they are a total idiot.
Andy wouldn't even call back the people that had no boat experience. He doesn't want anyone behind the seat of our boat killing someone.. he'd feel like shit.