PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Sales

socalmofo
04-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Anyone know what it takes licensing/school wise to be able to sell Auto,House,Life insurance? Thought about entering this field for a while.
Anyone know the process or have any recommendations or know of any schools?
Thanks.

Cole Trickle
04-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Anyone know what it takes licensing/school wise to be able to sell Auto,House,Life insurance? Thought about entering this field for a while.
Anyone know the process or have any recommendations or know of any schools?
Thanks.
There are 2 schools locally that do the pre licensing programs.
Mike Russ
A.D. Banker
It's been a while but I am pretty sure you have to complete the program wich consists of close to 50 hours and then you can take the test with the state of CA.
Also I am pretty sure that you have to have a company you work for before they will isue you a lic.
Do you have any experience?
The reason I ask is because you never move straight into sales in the Fire Casualty Business.You usually start as an assistant Underwriter and go through about 6 months worth of training before they will even let you get your license.After that you would be an underwriter for a couple years if not more before someone will give you the chance to sell.
There are exceptions to the rule....Freeway,Survival and some of the other turn and burn outfits will at times give you a shot at selling before your ready because your gone in a month if you don't hit your numbers.
Pay usually starts around 30K a year for an assistant underwriter with good skills.Knowbody is getting rich overnight in the fire casualty business.
If your looking for an easy start with the ability to make good money you might look into life insurance and annuities(sp)
Let me know if you have any questions.
I started in the industry as a file clerk when I was 16 y/o and have worked for some big companies as both an underwriter and Producer.
Brandin