PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to clean a boat cover?

Robbie Racer
04-27-2005, 03:31 PM
My boat cover has the soft felt lining on the inside so I can tow with it on (if needed when it's raining). After 3 years and a lot of towing miles it's getting pretty grungy. :confused: Anybody have any suggestions on the best way to clean this thing (inside and out) without losing it's water resistance?
Thanks, RR

Jrocket
04-27-2005, 04:24 PM
Not sure about your cover but...I lay the cover out on my concrete driveway and hit it with a soft brush and some good water pressure.It usually comes out really good but if I still want it better,then I take it to the laundy mat and use one of the industrial(large)machines.The only thing is too use a very small amount of soap.Wash it and then pull the cover out and rotate it and back in for another wash with no soap this time.The problem is the cover is so big that the soap will get cguht up in it so you need to wash twice.Thats why you need to pull it out and flip it around.confused yet?

Three Days Only
04-28-2005, 10:05 AM
Call Rocky!!!! He cleans mine for 20.00 and lets me supervise with a bottle of goose!!

andy01
04-28-2005, 12:11 PM
I believe in the ole sell the boat and buy a new one with a new cover... Never owed a boat long enough for the cover to get dirty. My DCB cover would get dust on it so I would just hose it off while it was on the boat, it would be pretty clean when I was done. If you use a cleaner like laundry soap and it takes the water profing out of it, you can re-spray the cover with thompsons water sealer and it works pretty good.
Andy

Robbie Racer
04-30-2005, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the reply's guys. I think on my next boat, I will just get a cockpit cover. They look a lot easier to clean.
RR

SVO 540
05-02-2005, 02:42 PM
I washed mine in a tub/spa with the jets on. I was impressed how clean it came out.

riverliver
05-02-2005, 07:39 PM
I washed mine in a tub/spa with the jets on. I was impressed how clean it came out.
See if I let you over to use the spa agian :p

Jrocket
05-02-2005, 07:43 PM
See if I let you over to use the spa agian :p
I was thinking the same thing!

SVO 540
05-03-2005, 02:26 PM
It was your spa. Sorry about the ring around the tub.

andy01
05-03-2005, 02:30 PM
It was your spa. Sorry about the ring around the tub.
Nice pic in your sig. Your buddy RiverLiver took a beating last weekend, you would have been proud of him until Sunday when Momma had to drive his ass home...........

Robbie Racer
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
Now, that's something that I had not thought about. :idea: Maybe I will wait until the next time I'm ready to clean the spa then dump the cover in for a few hours before I drain and clean the spa. Great idea. Thanks SVO.
RR