PDA

View Full Version : Header Plumbing ?'s

Wet Dream
05-16-2002, 02:20 PM
Finally got the damn things, but I'm questioning my setup vs. Bassetts diagram. They show from the pump to gate valve to T valve to water pump plate. Then from T-stat housing one line gets gated before transom dump, the other got to Bassett T valve and to headers. The thing about my setup is that I have 2 transom dumps, one for each line out of the T-stat housing without a gate at the transom. Here is my setup...
pump, gate, T-off to header valve. Continuing that T... T again and into the water pump plate, then each line from the T-stat housing out the transom.
I know this sounds confusing as hell, but I didn't set it up that way, it was that way when I got it. Should I redo i like Bassett suggests? I don't know if I like the idea of gating the transom dumps for fear of too much block pressure. Also, with 2 transom dumps, do I need to gate both lines? This is rediculous. Help, please.

ITSWILD
05-16-2002, 06:58 PM
WET DREAM
Mine goes off the pump to a T. T up to the water pump cover. Out the T stat housing. one side to a pee line(out the back of the boat)the other side to a gate value. gate value to the bassett T. Bassett T to headres. The gate value is to control the water to the headers you want a light water mist coming out the headers when you are done. P.S. that the way mine is good luck itswild P.s. I do not have a gate value off the pump I think it is a bad idea.

HammerDown
05-16-2002, 07:48 PM
Hey Wet, check your e-mail, I sent ya something about this topic let me know if ya got it....Ray

LVjetboy
05-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Bassett's diagram is lame.
U'd think being the leading manuf. of quality headers, they'd draw a better one? How hard could that be? Sorry, just my normal critical self http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
My advice is...take your time...get it right. You'll be happier in the long run.
Not that different plumbing schemes won't WORK of course, I've seen and used many, but some clearly work BETTER than others.
Any restriction on dump lines is a bad idea...possible overpressure. Not that a dump restriction GUARANTEES overpressure, just that they present an over-pressure risk waiting to happen and not needed for the ideal setup. So why do it that way?
Dual dumps as you already have are a good safety feature to avoid overpressure...use them unrestricted. I have pressure readings if you're interested.
A valve on the pump bleed will help if you blow a line in the middle of the lake...something to think about. NOT that you WILL need it if you don't ever blow a line in the middle of the lake, but a valve on the hardline from the pump is certainly a safety feature if you do spring a leak aft of the valve.
Independent right and left header control is also nice but you won't see that in Bassett's diagram. Split flow balance can't be controlled accurately by line length ALONE given variance in ID, corrosion and dirt typical of normal operating conditions on a lake. So some balance control comes in handy.
Whatever. I'm just wondering, why is this topic on the trailer trash side? Is it technical or should I grab another cool one and enjoy? I'm confused...jet talk, jet tech, trailer trash, pink flamingos...thanks HB.
jer
[This message has been edited by LVjetboy (edited May 16, 2002).]

wsm9808
05-17-2002, 04:41 AM
[quote] I have pressure readings if you're interested.[quote]
I would like to se the pressure readings.
Thanks
[This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited May 17, 2002).]

LVjetboy
05-17-2002, 10:17 AM
I measured 25 psi with a 5 psi flux at full throttle (5k) and the pump hardline valve full open. With the hardline valve partially closed...where I normally set it...full throttle pressure was about 5 psi with the same flux. This is on a slightly worn pump with a B impeller.
jer

Taylorman
05-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Why should anyone question the manufacturers recommendations on plumbing. You should plumb your exhaust just like Bassett recommends. I have mine plumed just like that and have never had a problem. http://www.bassettracing.com/images/diagramjet.gif
This is how it should be. I have no idea why people put gate valves in the line coming of the thermostat housing going to the headers. The gate valve should be on the line going overboard to regulate the pressure going out the thermostat housing to the tee valve. This is what makes the tee valve open at the right time. Here is a couple of pictures of my setup. http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Dcp_0034.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Dcp_0033.JPG

superdave013
05-18-2002, 08:15 AM
I like your tubing! S.S. hard line looks so clean. Very nicely done!