PDA

View Full Version : Securing seats

novaguy
04-28-2005, 01:14 AM
What is the proper way of securing seats? I had my boat completely re-upholstered last year and while out with the wife and baby, my wife and baby nearly ended up overboard do to the seat coming undone from the floorboard. They installed all new 1/4" screws securing the seat base to the floor, however, this proved faulty. The next trip out, my seat did the same thing, and I almost ended up in the lake. Not to cool, with the wife and baby. Anyhow, I am thinking of cutting a hand hole in the center of each seat base through the floor with a hole saw and through-bolting the fasteners. I guess I would then have to make an access plate to cover the hole. Has anyone else done it this way? Please share your thoughts....
Rob

cole13
04-28-2005, 06:40 AM
Rob, I have not had many boats. But the ones that I have had and seen around usually bolt the seats to the stringers. For instance on mine I have 3 L brackets about 6 inches wide on each seat that I screw through the bottom of the seat directly to the stringer. Do you have pictures of your set up?

Hustler
04-28-2005, 07:06 AM
Whats up Rob? I think your idea will work for your boat then get a couple flat round plates made and to cover the hole.

Danhercules
04-28-2005, 09:02 AM
I like the way the Southwinds are.
There are 2 pods of front and one long one in back, these are the accual storage under the seats. They are glassed in to the hull. Then the seats, (all one piece) gets bolted to them. Takes 5 min to take out the seats. Front two and rear bench, all out in a couple min.

n8dawg
04-28-2005, 10:16 AM
My miller has pretty cheesy seat mounts. A 2x4 glassed to the bottom then the seat frame mounts to the 2x4. Didn't feel to safe so when I put the seats back in this week I will be copying cole13's with an L bracket mounted to the stringer on the inside of the stringer.

novaguy
04-28-2005, 12:38 PM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/351IM000821.JPG
Sorry fellas,
I am sick as a dog and can't go outside to take pictures, however, this is a pic I found of my seats. The seats have wooden square bases that are mounted directly to the floor below each seat. I Thought about mounting the seats to the stringer, however the L brackets would have to be on the outside of the bases and be very unattractive. Also, this would only secure the seat bases on one side.
What's up Joe? How are you and Candy? Can't wait to hang with you guys again...My motor is still at Dave's. I guess Dart heads are back ordered for another month or so. My motor has been there since November :frown:.
I have a ton of things to do to the boat, so it's no big deal at this point. I need to install a new steering sytem, install water pressure gauge, secure seats properly to the floor. It seems like the "to do" list is neverending.....
Anyhow, take care
Rob

sanger rat
04-28-2005, 03:28 PM
I was thinking of using aluminum angle. Two pieces on the floor and two peices on the seats so when they bolt together it would look like this [ ].

Hustler
04-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey Rob where good. Hows Mama and the baby? Talk to Dave about the Canfields, maybe he can get them quiker.

novaguy
04-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Negative on the Canfields. Also suggested AFR, but said that they are hard to get and only the Darts he can get real quick. Well, he did say mid-April.....now it's probably mid-May. Oh well, like I said, it's not an issue yet since I have a million things to still do on the boat. Finding the time to do them is the challenging part. My days off are spent watching my baby and being that she is only almost 2 years old, I can't really do much. Anyhow, I hope this season goes better than last.