PDA

View Full Version : Kids in Lifejackets - ALWAYS PLEASE!

Boatcop
04-26-2006, 01:08 PM
From TSN News:
Massive Search For Missing Boy
BIG RIVER, CA - An 8-year-old boy who went missing while playing in the water near the tiny town of Big River, is the focus of a multi-agency dive operation. San Bernardino County Sheriff's Sergeant Tim Smith said dive operations began early yesterday afternoon and continued until dark.
“The little boy was wading in waist-deep water and fell into a small eddy,” said Smith. “The person present who witnessed the drowning attempted the rescue.”
The attempt was unsuccessful. Dive operations will resume this morning and continue throughout the day. The victimÂ’s identity is being withheld at this time.
Agencies on-scene for this incident include the San Bernardino County Sheriff's and Fire Departments; LaPaz County Sheriff's Office; Buckskin Fire as well as officers from the Colorado River Indian Tribe and the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue helicopter.
Please keep your kids in lifejackets when they're anywhere near the River, on the boat or not. It doesn't matter if they're good swimmers. Keep those PFDs on.
I've done too much of this kind of stuff over the years, and am getting pretty tired of it.

riverbound
04-26-2006, 01:11 PM
If my kids are anywhere near the water....jackets on. If they dont want to wear them, then they go in the house.

Kilrtoy
04-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I see so many people that pay no attention to their little kids in the channel...

H20 Toie
04-26-2006, 01:16 PM
I couldn't even imagine the pain of haveing that happen to my little one. that is why i got lifeline vests for the kids to.

Mrs. casean
04-26-2006, 01:18 PM
That is so sad! Gotta keep those jackets on them! You can turn your head for a second and something could happen... :(

Ziggy
04-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Stuff happens so fast, even a moment of looking away standing right next to them can be too late.......
Safety first.

Debbolas
04-26-2006, 06:34 PM
That is so sad, but ya gotta watch your kids, the lake is like a big pool, you wouldn't let your little one go running around a pool unattended......
We had vests on ours all the time, they use to get those rashes under their chin from the vest riding up on them. (that sunblock stick is good for that, but it kinda stings)
Our kids celebrated when they reached the age of "NO VEST" :D at the river....is it 12? I've fogotten. :rolleyes:

Flying Tiger
04-26-2006, 07:11 PM
Isn't Yamaha running a free replace the shopworn PFD with one of ours gig soon?
They'll trade ya a new one for an old one?
Raising tonz of kids,, I like the PFD with the reflectors, the crotch strap, and the big handle on the back for the little crumbcrushers.
No matter how good of swimmers our kids are/were,, we never took/take our eyes off them ever.

JetBoatRich
04-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Bump this thread :mad:

dmontzsta
04-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Definately a good reminder to all. I would feel uncomfortable without a jacket on my son. The river is dangerous.

HocusPocus
04-26-2006, 09:26 PM
a safe kid.. is a happy kid! :) no doubt about it.
http://magicpassforum.com/forums/uploads/cutie.jpg

Daytona100
04-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Cute kid and great advice. Couldnt even imagine losing a kid.

spectratoad
04-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I remember once when my oldest, now 14, was about 8 months old. We were at the lake and I was sitting in the water with him. I turned to talk to someone and in a matter of seconds he had fallen over and was just flopping in the water. Scared the $HIT out of me. First time that I had ever had him near the water without a jacket and the last.
Both of my boys now are good swimmers but I don't make them wear jackets. They are 12 and 14. In rough water in the boat I do but just cruising I don't. I am still torn with what I should do there though.

tamalewagon
04-27-2006, 09:16 AM
HP that vest is awesome! Where did you get it? I need something like that for my little boy. It's exactly what I'm looking for to make sure he floats on his back and not face down.

CARLSON-JET
04-27-2006, 09:23 AM
Please do not let the little ones play to close to the beached boats without DIRECT adult supervision. I witnessed a very close call that could have been ugly. I honestly had never though about it before. I also now feel it is somewhat my responsibility to keep my boat back away from the beach as so I do not block the view close to shore where the kids like to hang out. boats flop around alot when rollers come in. Anchor lines also need to be marked and watched with the kids around.

MKEELINE
04-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Floaty suits like this are great.There are several companies, aquaforce is one, making them that are coast guard approved. My two girls, 8 and 4, wear theirs ALL the time, even on the pontoon boat while it's parked. I'd rather hear them whine about the suits than not hear them at all.

tamalewagon
04-27-2006, 09:37 AM
Floaty suits like this are great.There are several companies, aquaforce is one, making them that are coast guard approved. My two girls, 8 and 4, wear theirs ALL the time, even on the pontoon boat while it's parked. I'd rather hear them whine about the suits than not hear them at all.
Thanks Mkeeline...much appreciated. Is there a shop or are they available online?

RiverToysJas
04-27-2006, 09:39 AM
"boat jackets", CHECK!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/3730DSC00121-med.jpg
BC, what about kids strapped into car seats, riding in boats? I feel it's unsafe, because the seats are strapped to the boat (and shouldn't be, incase the boat sinks), and if the car seat goes over it'll sink with the kid! I see people doing it though. Do you know if there has ever been a case of a kid drowning in a car seat?
RTJas

MrsSigEpMock
04-27-2006, 09:41 AM
HP that vest is awesome! Where did you get it? I need something like that for my little boy. It's exactly what I'm looking for to make sure he floats on his back and not face down.
DIDDO. We have a 6mo old and they all (we own 4 now) smush up on her. Are those CG approved??? are those swimming trainers? If they are swimming trainers I don't think they are CG for underway.:confused: but great for on the beach!!!

MrsSigEpMock
04-27-2006, 09:43 AM
Gotcha....

MKEELINE
04-27-2006, 09:50 AM
www.aquaforce.com is one. I know there are others but we have always used these. Now, in the boat I prefer them to wear a jacket w/ leg straps and a handle on the collar.

me4drvr
04-27-2006, 01:03 PM
http://www.alssurvey.com/26234216210_0_BG.jpg
It's like a seatbelt for my 3 year old, and my 7 month old is learning to love her vest real quick. Growing up on the water, I used to love wearing mine... not so much anymore...

Biglue
04-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Great reminder. My kids always have their life jackets on until the boat is out of the water. All it takes is a few seconds for the unthinkable to happen. Even when the boat is underway and the water is anywhere near ruff, I make my kid brother wear a jacket. He's 16.

Dave C
04-27-2006, 01:15 PM
Yup thats the ticket. Got one of dem for the crumbcrusher too....

HocusPocus
04-28-2006, 04:57 PM
i bought the vest at sportmart, its made by stearns and it is coast guard approved. she never complains about wearing the vest.. she loves it in fact.

Warlockjer
04-28-2006, 04:59 PM
Thanks and good advice. Things happen real quick!!!

NorCalCat
04-28-2006, 07:53 PM
From TSN News:
Please keep your kids in lifejackets when they're anywhere near the River, on the boat or not. It doesn't matter if they're good swimmers. Keep those PFDs on.
I've done too much of this kind of stuff over the years, and am getting pretty tired of it.
We have always had the noprene life vests for the kids. They are so use to them, they cry when we take them off. There is no reason to risk an accident, be responsible. If you decide not to, do not go boating, help keep it a fun family hobbie. Your kids do not know the difference! Spend the extra $$$ on a comfortable vest and it is not an issue.
Just my $.02

rrrr
04-29-2006, 02:22 AM
We all hang out at the swim beach on our lake, boats pulled up on the sand. There is a young couple with a 6 YO, they let him play in the water with no jacket.
Well, ,they used to. I gave 'em crap until he put one on. I don't know why they even argued about it. How stupid can you get? It's not a bathtub or a pool. When the kid disappears under the water, he's GONE. You can't see 'em, and there's no way to tell where they are.
It's 100% fatal.

CBadDad
04-29-2006, 06:55 AM
We all hang out at the swim beach on our lake, boats pulled up on the sand. There is a young couple with a 6 YO, they let him play in the water with no jacket.
Well, ,they used to. I gave 'em crap until he put one on. I don't know why they even argued about it. How stupid can you get? It's not a bathtub or a pool. When the kid disappears under the water, he's GONE. You can't see 'em, and there's no way to tell where they are.
It's 100% fatal.
Not only that, but it's silent. No screams or crys for help, just gone. Scary!

Ralph Brunt
04-29-2006, 07:16 AM
this was her first we need a new one this year she is used to it know ralphhttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12022lake_perris_fathers_day_2005_005-med.jpg

HocusPocus
04-29-2006, 07:51 AM
this was her first we need a new one this year she is used to it know ralphhttp://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/12022lake_perris_fathers_day_2005_005-med.jpg
Those are nice.. i have a couple of them on the boat as backups in case we get extra little ones, looks like it has the handy grab handle on top of the jacket and a nice bright color. I have seen some kids life jackets in dark colors, i prefer the bright colors.