PDA

View Full Version : FRIKING Tow Truck Drivers (RANT)

LHC30Victory
04-28-2005, 01:16 PM
This am my wife was driving on Francis in Ontario and with the rain it apparently ALWAYS floods but since it was still dark @545am, and still raining, she couldn't see that it was bad until the car stops (OOPS!)
Well, the PD calls for their contract tow (nameless at this point) and the guy decides to just put a "J" hook onto the front left suspension and pull the car (and my wife) onto the flatbed. He didn't wait to listen to her and didn't take the time to put the supplied hook into the PROPER place on the BMW. He later tells me that he knows about the proper hook but he used a strong location for the "J".
Well, he ends up ripping the front plate and bumper moulding off, knocks the fog light loose and generally messes up the car. They said the damage was there from hitting the water! WTF????
I take it to a body shop and he tells me that the suspension is F'd up because of the way the guy hooked it. The tow operator wont give me the time of day and wont help. Thanks for insurance......
Why don't people and businesses take responsibility for errors and mistakes anymore????

OGShocker
04-28-2005, 01:20 PM
Was it "AL'S" towing? I know the owner if it was.

LHC30Victory
04-28-2005, 01:22 PM
No, it was Fogelsong's

Mandelon
04-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Is there a licensing bureau for them? A complaint call might start the wheels rolling... I know the contractors have one as do mechanics and insurance companies.... Even BBB might get em to listen. Otherwise send them a demand letter in writing with copies of estimates for repair and demand restitution.
Either way its a big waste of your time due to their inconsideration. Keep track of your time, if you end in small claims bill them a reasonable amount per hour, you might get it....?

LHC30Victory
04-28-2005, 01:40 PM
Since they are a contract tow for Ontario, I am in the process of filing a complaint with them about the tow. My insurance agt is working for me on the repairs, but you hit it exactly right...It is wasting my time.
I am also thinking about a class action suit against ONtario for the known drainage problem there. People I spoke to today said that everytime it rains, they have to tow several cars out of that same area. This has been going on for over 8 years! WTF????

phuggit
04-28-2005, 01:57 PM
That sux LHC. As stated, I think you are wasting your time getting anything out of the tow company. Some of those guys are pretty shady. You might try contacting the PD that called for the tow and make a complaint to them. They may remove the tow company from their rotation list. Towing for LE agencies are tow companies bread and butter.

cola
04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
Why don't people and businesses take responsibility for errors and mistakes anymore????
:sqeyes: :sqeyes:

Ultrafied
04-28-2005, 03:19 PM
It usually gets flooded anywhere from 2'-3" at the east interesection of Francis and Grove, in front of the Farmer Boys. The tow driver probably did not want to go scuba diving and hook it up correctly. Sorry to hear about your damage.

Boozer
04-28-2005, 03:27 PM
Aren't tow companies also regulated by the PUC? I believe they are.
If in fact a tow company is regulated by the PUC you may want to file a complaint with them also. The PUC is pretty powerful and gets sh*t handled quickly. The PUC may only control the amount of money tow companies are allowed to charge but you never know it might be worth a shot.

topless
04-28-2005, 03:30 PM
The BBB will take the complaint but that doesn't mean the towing company will do anything. You can also call the DMV or PUC.
I had a tow truck driver throw a cup of ice out the window on the freeway and hit my car chipping the paint. I got the name of company and called the owner. I had a 600.00 check the next day.

LHC30Victory
04-28-2005, 03:35 PM
It usually gets flooded anywhere from 2'-3" at the east interesection of Francis and Grove, in front of the Farmer Boys. The tow driver probably did not want to go scuba diving and hook it up correctly. Sorry to hear about your damage.
Here is the rub on that.... the proper hookup is about 8" ABOVE where he put the hook. If he did it right he would barely have had to bend over. :idea:

Scream
04-28-2005, 04:51 PM
Ted, if they won't take you seriously, get online with the BBB and file a complaint. Make them sweat and get them to call you back kissin your butt. Tow companies may be under the auspicies of the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and they don't mess around either. Make a criminal complaint too, you have some insight there and give them the business they deserve.

RP1
04-28-2005, 05:01 PM
LHC30,
I have several connection through the local tow agencies in the city I work. I can find out about some of these suggestion that people have brought up if you want... let me know.

rivrbrat
04-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Check the socal auto club they publish the tow guides for proper towing procedures. The proper hook up may not have even been with a j-hook at all. Most newer cars require t-hooks connected to the frame so not to damage the A arms.

rivrbrat
04-28-2005, 05:14 PM
I have been on both sides of this and will not be worth your time in the end.
Turn it over to your insurance company and let them decide if they are going to go after the tow company when you file your claim Don’t let them charge you a deductible because you know who caused the damage in the first place, It will be obvious to the body shop how the damage was caused.

LHC30Victory
04-28-2005, 05:23 PM
I have been on both sides of this and will not be worth your time in the end.
Turn it over to your insurance company and let them decide if they are going to go after the tow company when you file your claim Don’t let them charge you a deductible because you know who caused the damage in the first place, It will be obvious to the body shop how the damage was caused.
DING DING DING DING....Buy that man a beer! I will - just find me :D
No it will not be worth my time except on principle, which is big in my book (not enough discussion time here for that one). The Ins co does have it already and the letters are already sent to ALL the cities that contract with them, and the BAR and AAA and......
Lesson - I tend to be quiet but dont piss me off (sounds pretty fierce, don't it :hammer2: )

RiverPirate
04-28-2005, 08:52 PM
Like everything else, hit them in the pocket book, that's one of the few things that seem to work if they are not even willing to talk to you. Start with the PD and bitch, bitch, bitch. If they are a contract tow there is a lot of busine$$ to be lost from the city if they lose their contract, towing $$$, storage $$$, auction $$$, etc $$$, etc $$$.

Kachina26
05-01-2005, 04:20 PM
Hey Ted, good seeing you again this weekend! This is not an uncommon occurance :( We replace plenty of bent suspension parts. Typically the tow company steps up with no hassle. If they are also a repair shop, you may be able to get BAR consumer affairs involved. They are usually on the side of the customer, even if the shop is in the right.