PDA

View Full Version : Roller lifters?

Jrocket
04-28-2005, 04:01 PM
Looking for input on what is the best roller lifter out there on the market?So far it looks like Im gonna run a solid roller cam but thats not final yet.I was going to run the crane top end roller stuff or even the Jesel stuff but thought it wouldnt hurt to get some input first.I dont want to have any problems with lifters going bad and tearing up the motor,so im trying to find what people are having the best luck with right now.Ive heard Crower has been having good results lately..Any ideas?

jdf
04-28-2005, 04:21 PM
we have been running comp's stuff pro-magum ...good stuff

don johnson
04-28-2005, 04:25 PM
Just changed the cam and lifters in my blower motors from Hyd roller to solid and did a lot of research. I went with Morel. Seems that the Morel HD Solid Roller lifter is one of the best. Has the pin hole oiling so that continous idling is not an issue.

Jrocket
04-28-2005, 07:21 PM
Morel,Crower,Comp.....any more ideas in here?

Infomaniac
04-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Morel,Crower,Comp.....any more ideas in here?
Morel makes them for Crower, Isky and who know how many others.
I can get you a deal on the Morel but an exceptional deal on Comp.

Jrocket
04-28-2005, 07:35 PM
Morel makes them for Crower, Isky and who know how many others.
Thats kind of scarry in a way.Doesnt anybody make their own parts anymore?LOL

Jrocket
04-28-2005, 07:38 PM
You can shoot me a pm on the price of those comps if you want to.Always something to consider.So far Im really trying to find the best out there.I dont want any valvetrain failures thats for sure.Too many oil dependent things on this motor that arent cheap to replace if metal gets loose inside.

Cs19
04-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Anyone know which engine blocks come with the large .904 lifter bore? Or is that something you have to send out for the machine shop to do?
Got Crane lifters in my engine, and I watch em like a hawk. Not saying they are poor quality, im just paranoid of having one let go. I try to keep my idle time to a minimum, and stay on top of the lash.I run the lash after every river trip and or races. I also keep a log of what the lash was at.
anyone have experience with a lifter failing? what normally happens? Does it just fail, or can you catch it slowly going away?
thanks.

superdave013
04-29-2005, 08:13 AM
JRocket, what's Gary run?

sgdiv7
04-29-2005, 10:36 AM
You can catch them going away slowly if you have a solid cam by checking your valve lash. Any drastic change in valve lash being to loose like .005-.010 loose is a good indication that something in the valve train is starting to go away and needs closer inspection providing you set the valve lash correct the the last time you set them. With a hyd. lifter your screwed because you have no way to check lifters unless you take them out of the motor for inspection. The higher the valve spring presure the faster they go away. Stock engines with roller lifters don't have lifter problems because the only run on an avrage of 80-100 lbs. of seat presure and they go 200,000 miles.
The needle bearings in the roller ware out. They look ilke the same kind of bearings that are found in drive line u-joints. Another good tool to use is a MSD knock sensor it will pick up spark knock and metal knock. A lifter banging on a cam will make noise.
anyone have experience with a lifter failing? what normally happens? Does it just fail, or can you catch it slowly going away?
thanks.[/QUOTE]

Fiat48
04-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Anyone know which engine blocks come with the large .904 lifter bore? Or is that something you have to send out for the machine shop to do?
Got Crane lifters in my engine, and I watch em like a hawk. Not saying they are poor quality, im just paranoid of having one let go. I try to keep my idle time to a minimum, and stay on top of the lash.I run the lash after every river trip and or races. I also keep a log of what the lash was at.
thanks.
You catch them after they broke. Biggest reason for roller lifter failure is not enough valve spring pressure. Especially seat pressure. Remember on blown motors your actual seat pressure is negated by labs of boost x sq inches of the valve head.
2nd thing that kills them is prolonged idling. Recently some manufacturers are adding some roller pin oiling. Otherwise the rollers are oiled by splash.
Worst offenders of breaking have always been the Crane spring type. Had the best luck with Comp's.
The roller breaks, your rods get shot peened, ususally the cam will clean up with emery paper and a few pistons get some dings. And if you don't catch it that early then you damage the lifter bore or break the lifter bore in the block.

lucky
04-29-2005, 11:59 AM
what killed mine was a combination - oil restrictors and cruising the lake in a lake boat --- lesson learned - next time tear the motor down and check it out for yourrrrrrr application :( on a positive note -- I only have another grand into it :) this year -- no problems ( i'm positive ) or i am going to whackerize it lol :messedup: