View Full Version : bronco wont shift

mike37
04-28-2005, 06:01 PM
its an 87 tilt wheel and the locking mec wont let it sift its not the tranny
its in the column what ever disengages it when you turn the key not working
any one have a schematic

Foggerjet
04-29-2005, 04:30 AM
Mike, those ford trucks are famous for that. There is a pot metal shaft that runs down the top of the column, and a steel detent pushrod running inside the shaft. lower the steering column, let it sit on the seat. you'll see the broken shaft, usually right behind the first hold down bracket. The parts cost about $30 from your local Ford garage. I change them all the time. BTW change the shaft AND the pushrod, even if the pushrod looks OK It's probly bent and won't slide back and forth properly. Takes about 30 min. to fix.
fog

Craig
04-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah I have an 89, had to change out that pot metal piece in mine.
Craig

mike37
04-29-2005, 03:49 PM
OK thanks for the replies we got the dam thing out and the local dealer has them in stock 10 bucks and a big headache
going to get the part tomorrow

HP350SC
04-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Put teflon grease on the actuator link when going together. Make sure you get the snap ring seated on the steering shaft properly. You will HAVE TO separate the tilt to get the new link in. Remove the tilt spring, then I believe it's an 8-32 screw to pull the two pivot pins out. Don't lose the tiny roll pin that connects the link to the long rod that goes down to ignition switch.

mike37
04-29-2005, 07:18 PM
I was going to use a hammer and chisel
but your way may work better
and thanks for the help it is much appreciated
Put teflon grease on the actuator link when going together. Make sure you get the snap ring seated on the steering shaft properly. You will HAVE TO separate the tilt to get the new link in. Remove the tilt spring, then I believe it's an 8-32 screw to pull the two pivot pins out. Don't lose the tiny roll pin that connects the link to the long rod that goes down to ignition switch.

HP350SC
04-29-2005, 10:08 PM
They sell a puller for the tilt pivots, but usually worn enough by now to just pull out by rocking them around. To install the spring, slip a large flat blade screwdriver between the second coil from the end. Keeping that end towards the top, seat the lower part of spring and use both hands to compress and locate the upper part of spring. Have the tilt in it's upward position. Ask any questions you have, I can do these blindfolded ;)

mike37
04-30-2005, 07:51 AM
your making this sound way to complicated
But seriously we were thinking of cutting some of it off the part that locks
the steering wheel and leave enough to lock the shifter
that way it will go in with out taking every thing apart we aren't worried about the locking part just want it to start
They sell a puller for the tilt pivots, but usually worn enough by now to just pull out by rocking them around. To install the spring, slip a large flat blade screwdriver between the second coil from the end. Keeping that end towards the top, seat the lower part of spring and use both hands to compress and locate the upper part of spring. Have the tilt in it's upward position. Ask any questions you have, I can do these blindfolded ;)