PDA

View Full Version : 460/Panther RPM question

77_Tahiti
08-12-2001, 06:28 PM
I have a 460 (bone stock?) with a Panther jet and a rev limiter which is set at 4600 RPM. I noticed this weekend that the boat tops out at 4100 rpm with the throttle floored! I'm assuming that the jet limits this RPM to 4100 when in water? I think the boat is slow maybe 50-55 MPH top speed at 6000 feet elevation. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about? I have no idea how accurate the RPM gauge is or if the rev limiter is accurate.

Brendella
08-12-2001, 09:24 PM
I have the same set up basicly your motor can not turn the impellor any faster due to the fact your running stock. you are running a high flow thrust of water so if you want more speed you will need more power. but since you have a panther it is not work the time because these are not performance pump.
study up on tthe difference between pumps.
your rev-limiter is for when you hit a have and aire born the boat. I would set it at 3200 because you can't even push the boat to4600 and the Idea is to keep from over reving the motor. good luck and happy boating.

Bubbledeck2
08-12-2001, 09:46 PM
I have a stock 460 with a fresh and tight Berkley pump and I tach out at 4400 rpm @350' elevation.
I know you'd lose some Rs at 6000' so I'd guess you're about where you should be.

77_Tahiti
08-14-2001, 11:11 AM
Brendella,
The rev limiter is related to the ignition system, if I set it to 3200 RPM I will never reach the current 4100 RPM's on the water. Thanks for your input,
Everyone,
If I were to hop up the motor would it turn the jet any faster? Or should I just be happy I dont have a stern drive and leave things as they are. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/rolleyes.gif
[This message has been edited by 77_Tahiti (edited August 14, 2001).]
[This message has been edited by 77_Tahiti (edited August 14, 2001).]

Brendella
08-14-2001, 12:44 PM
yours must be different than mine is a proportional and it is hook to the distributor but it only engages when there is no load so to protect from over revving. I turn 5200 with silencers in the headers and that is with the limiter set at 4000, but when the boat comes out of the water it shuts the cylinders sparks off one at a time till the load is back then she rips

flat broke
08-14-2001, 01:00 PM
Brendella, I would be interested in finding out more about your rev-limiter setup as I have never heard of what you are talking about(how does the limiter sense load?). As for 77_Tahiti. Leave the rev limiter where it is for now. This will insure that if you do come out of the water, you won't rev above 4600. Your stock 460 providing its in a good state of tune wont be harmed by a short squirt up to 4600. As far as earlier comments about your Panther, they are not entirely correct. If you are cool going 60 or so, you can get by with your Panther. If you want to run above that, you might want to think of a different pump as you can make a Panther do the number, it is just more expensive than doing it with a Berk. The main problem with that is the fact that it will cost some $$ to retrofit your hull with a berk. I.E. Wanting to go fast might end up mean going with a different ride to save some $$ in the long run. By the way, a stock 460 at 6000ft going 50-55 in a tahiti which is probably laid up on the heavy side, is pretty good.
Take care,
Chris

Kamakazi Ken
08-15-2001, 05:36 PM
I have just put my 18 1/2' witchcraft w/ a stock 460 panther jet in the water the last couple of weekends @ 8000 feet elev. Keep in mind my 2nds on the 650cfm carb won't open but on smooth H2o I have been getting 51 mph. Sorry don't know the RPM, Tach and all Gauges fried on the first trip. Our summers are very short here and I had to put it on the water could'nt help my self, total tear down and rebuild this very long winter. hope this info help you compair,
K.K.

Clutch
08-25-2001, 09:36 AM
Hey 77 I own a 79 Headcraft w/ a stk. 454 headers and a panther h model pump, by the speedo it is running 64 @4800.As far as the rev limiter why would you set it below your max pump rpm? mine is set at 5500. Good luck i like my panther,but it does look like there is more parts for cheaper for the berk.Oh well little more money to be different.Keep Squrt'in