PDA

View Full Version : hey CosatGuardSteve

Cas42
07-25-2001, 07:45 AM
Exactly what kind of boat are you looking for? length?
The reason I ask is I have a friend of mine that is thinking about selling his 18' Tahiti Super Tiger. The whole boat has been gone over in the past few years including new gel, interior and lots of motor work. I can't give you much info on the motor other than it's a fairly fresh 455 Olds with around 400 ponies, over transom headers, Holley carb, Edelbrock intake, etc.
I owned the boat for a while back in '86 for a restoration project. Since I had a new baby in the house, I wasn't able to complete it but I do know I have many hours into prepping the hull and in sanding the new gel.
I also redid the trailer while the boat was getting the new gel.
When I talked to him a couple of weeks ago, he was thinking of getting rid of it because of some medical problems he's having. He also said he's thinking about a price of around 5K.

JET BUG
07-25-2001, 08:13 AM
check out paul russell's tiger on the real jet boat site boats called aquaholic,soooooo nice
cheers
J.B

Cas42
07-25-2001, 09:01 AM
that's a nice boat.
One of the differences between the Tiger and the Super Tiger is the gas tanks. The Tiger has a single 16 gallon tank in the bow and the ST has 2 tanks on the sides.
Having the tank up front has it's downfalls.

CoastGuardSteve
07-25-2001, 12:15 PM
Steve,
I have been on the hunt for a Spectra. I really want an 18 or a 19, I think I like the 19 best though! I have been looking all over and just waiting for the right boat...AND the right deal. I don't want to break the bank on my meager USCG salary! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I certainly do appreciate the heads up that you have given me. So far my search has been a little on the disappointing side but it will change when I find the right boat though. I have driven from the Bay Area all the way down to Simi Valley to look at one Spectra. It was less than what I was told it was to say the least, the guy even sent me pictures and they looked good to me. Lesson learned.....Seeing is believing. Thanks again, Steve M

Bubbledeck
07-25-2001, 08:09 PM
Cas42 you seem to know about Tahitis, do you know the model name they had for the Bubbledecks? Mine is a '76. Someone told me before that they thought it may have been called a Thunder Tiger.

Bubbledeck
07-25-2001, 08:12 PM
Steve I just heard of a Spectra for sale down the street from me. All I know at this point is that they think it's a 21 footer, is green and has a jet. They also said it looks like it could use some elbow grease. Interested?
If you are I'll go by tomorrow and take a look at it. btw, I'm in Fresno

CoastGuardSteve
07-25-2001, 08:27 PM
FRESNO is a great place!! I went to college there. I really enjoyed my time at Fresno State. If you want to take the time to go look at it I will be happy to hear what you have to say about it.

Bubbledeck
07-25-2001, 08:32 PM
will do .. i'll let you know by 7pm tomorrow

RH
07-25-2001, 10:21 PM
Hey Steve , could you e-mail about what you have looked at so far it sounds like I,m following in your tracks maybe you could save me a trip or two Thanks RH

Cas42
07-25-2001, 10:47 PM
Bubbledeck,
I had a '75 18' Tiger, a 77 18' Super Tiger and now a 78 21' Super Cruiser (mini day). I guess I'm moving up in the world, I got a newer boat.... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/tongue.gif
I don't recall hearing the name Thunder Tiger but I haven't heard it all....yet.
I'll see what I can find out though, a good friend of mine owned Bay Area Boats up until about a year ago. I'll see if I can get ahold of him to see what he knows.
RH,
which Steve are you talking to?
SteveC

Cas42
07-25-2001, 10:52 PM
Hey Bubble,
Are you going to come up to Tower Park on Aug 25/26? Having another Tahiti there would be a good thing.

Cas42
07-25-2001, 11:41 PM
Steve,
Have you seen this one?
http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?11287056

CoastGuardSteve
07-26-2001, 07:11 AM
Steve C.,
I have seen that boat in the trader. It has been in there for quite a while.
RH,
Give me a phone number and I will tell you which boats I have looked at so far. I think we can work together and save each other some miles!
Steve M.

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 05:25 PM
Steve, here's the info I have on the Spectra... it's a 1976 19 footer ( I think) mini cruiser style, very rounded nose, white, pea green, and wood grain, everything looks to be original and not in too bad of shape, could use upholstery, but it'll last a little longer, single axle trailer (unknown manf), 460 ford, berkley pump, ride plate, cav plates, swim step, hour meter shows 492.
I didn't talk to anyone, just stopped and looked at the boat.
The sign says $4500 "firm"
all tags are current. the motor is covered and locked, so I can't help you there.
the phone # is 559 229 9477
If the motor and pump are in decent shape I'd say it's worth looking at.
good luck!
Cas I doubt I'll make it up and if CP Performance doesn't ship out my control cables soon I may not make it anywhere this summer lol

spectras only
07-26-2001, 06:00 PM
bubbledeck,what you've seen is the 18 footer[round bow,single axle trailer].the 19 footer has a sharp nose,never had woodgrain,comes with tandem trailer w/o brakes, no nonskid surface.It's a better boat for rough water than the 19 hence has more freeboard and deeper bow.Check my friend's [Dave Switzer] boat on www.spectramarine.com (http://www.spectramarine.com) website to compare what you saw.

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 06:06 PM
spectras only, damn, don't get all technical on me, I was stepping off the length in my flip flops LOL .. j/k, what you described would make a big difference ... what did you think of the price?

spectras only
07-26-2001, 06:29 PM
Hey bubble,the price is great,Steve should buy it,but I remember him saying he really likes the 19's lines.Hell, if the boat wasn't so far from here, couple of my friends would be interested [finder's fee for you,heh].Sorry to be too technical,but when you become a fanatic ,you tend to be a know at all http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif.You should see when I have my old motorcycles showing around,everybody is an expert telling me what's not right about the bikes,yet I managed to get a first place in the North West classics with my 1947 Norton.

CoastGuardSteve
07-26-2001, 08:25 PM
CoastGuardSteve always loves a good deal! I will make a trip this weekend to take a peak. I only live a couple of hours away in the great SF Bay. Nice ryhme huh. I always get so giddy at the prospect of finding THE boat. Can you shoot me an e-mail or can I call you to get some driving directions? I certainly do appreciate all of the help. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of people who have been helpful from this forum and the Spectra Marine one too. It seems like there a lot of friendly people out there who haven't gotten caught in the high-speed dot-com lifestyle. Whoooppppeeeeee! Maybe it is THE ONE!!

Bubbledeck
07-26-2001, 08:33 PM
Steve you don't have an e mail on your profile and it says you live in corcoran LOL.
so, here goes ... the boat is sitting in an apartment parking lot adjacent to the street, so you can easily see it as you drive down the street. I didn't get the address, but it is on Ashlan (north side) about midway between Blackstone and Maroa

CoastGuardSteve
07-26-2001, 08:39 PM
Hey, what are you laughin' at? We all gotta' come from somewhere don't we? Check the profile now, I updated it for ya'!

SPECTRABRENT
07-26-2001, 09:04 PM
Steve,
Let me know about the boat you have my phone #. Also, I need your shirt size.
Brent

CoastGuardSteve
07-26-2001, 09:24 PM
Just got off of the phone with the guy. Seems like a pretty nice fella. I'm gonna go look at it this weekend. I can only hope that this is the one though.
Brent,
If I get it I will send you my shirt size and a couple of pics in an envelope with a couple of shirts for you and the wife. This boat hunting is hard work!

Cas42
07-26-2001, 10:40 PM
Steve,
see you at Tower Park next month
SteveC <----sending positive vibes your way

CoastGuardSteve
07-30-2001, 10:57 AM
I went and looked at the Spectra this weekend. It is in pretty good shape and I am very interested. I may have a line on another Spectra too. It is a boat that I know fairly well. I will be sure and let everyone know what develops.
RH...if you are interested in the 18' in Fresno (the one I looked at this weekend) shoot me an e-mail at the address I gave you this weekend. I will give you the skinny!
Steve

EDROE
07-30-2001, 02:09 PM
Steve, a guy I know has a 19' Spectra, he says he'll be selling it in a couple of months. If you want to know more info e-mail me and I'll hook the two of you up...Edroe