PDA

View Full Version : newbie, first jetboat

justaddfuel
04-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Hi,folks. Got my first jetboat the other day. It's a project, for sure. It's got a Jacuzzi 12wj, csm electric diverter, and some nice shiny fuel tanks. No motor, and had a 455 Olds. Not sure about the impeller pitch, yet, but looks to be nice shape. I'm just starting to prep the hull to refinish. I'm planning on a nice flake/candy green.
One question I had was will the 454 Bolt right in?
Thanks

victorfb
04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
congradulations on the new to you boat.
as for the motor bolting in? yes, but you will need the chevy motor plates and hardware, and of course chevy exhaust. the coupler (PTO) that mates the flywheel to the driveline is also differant. there has been a few people here on the boards that have done the swap from the olds to chevy or ford, and im sure they will give you the info you will need, just be patient. if your not looking for a go fast hot rod then you may want to look for an olds motor if you have all the stuff allready for that. the olds 455 is just fine for a lake boat that wont see prolonged high rpms.

justaddfuel
04-30-2005, 01:48 PM
I figured I'd go with the 454 cause of the parts available. I run with a group that were actually slammin' me for building a jet. There's not many around here, and, well I don't think they have much use for jetboats...yet! I'd like to see 70mph. Not enough to beat them, but at least there might be some food left by the time I get to The Island.
Paul

Frosty_pop
05-01-2005, 08:50 PM
I too am running a 12WJ. When I bought my boat it had a 455 in it, last 4 river trip before thowing a rod. Glad to hear you are thinking big block, I made the mistake of going small block ( thought it would save on gas ) The Impellor you have is most likely a "B" cut. Hard to find anything else.

n8dawg
05-02-2005, 11:21 AM
congrats on the new boat project. I have a 455 and a wj pump. Like everyone says on here if you want a fast boat chevy's the way to go.
I'm hoping that my motor blows this year so that I can build up a 454. I sick of getting smoked buy all you ford & chevy guys. What do they say..." a 455 makes a good anchor"
Post pictures!

MAINEVENT
05-02-2005, 12:09 PM
Hi,folks. Got my first jetboat the other day. It's a project, for sure. It's got a Jacuzzi 12wj, csm electric diverter, and some nice shiny fuel tanks. No motor, and had a 455 Olds. Not sure about the impeller pitch, yet, but looks to be nice shape. I'm just starting to prep the hull to refinish. I'm planning on a nice flake/candy green.
One question I had was will the 454 Bolt right in?
Thanks
I am not sure but if you want a finished project mine will be back up 4 sale late july :eek:

Mrs CP 19
05-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Congrats on your new boat...454 (chevy) is the way to go!