PDA

View Full Version : Is a Eliminator Daytona a good boat for me?

Get Porter
04-29-2005, 06:57 PM
New here and was wondering if I could get your guys opinion. My brother-in-law is having financial difficulties and needs to sell his boat. It's a 21' Daytona with 300 Promax on it. I am thinking about buying the boat from him but am wondering if this would make a good big lake boat. It has 2 25 gallon tanks so the range should be ok even with the gas guzzling 300 (it is a gas guzzler right?). My question is how well will this boat do in the rough waters of Lake Mead, Havasu or Powell. It doesn't have alot of freeboard, is this a problem? The boat is in top notch shape, seats seven and his pay off is $24K. I know it's not a good wakeboard boat but slalom skiing behind it is fun with a 4-5 blade on it I hear. What's your guys opinion, will this be a decent small boat for big lakes?

Daytona100
04-29-2005, 07:03 PM
Its a bitchen boat for me.http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1542Parker_pics_032-thumb.jpg And it has the best resale. :cool: :cool:

Daytona100
04-29-2005, 07:07 PM
The only drawback is you dont get FREE coolaid!!!http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1542Parker_pics_032.jpg

Kilrtoy
04-29-2005, 07:11 PM
I dont know...
Can it handle the rough, yes, but how ruff..
I ran against a 22 DCB with twin 300's and he was out of the water, I mean all the way out ..... The guy was a good driver, no doubt, but I would not take that boat at 100 in the water we were in.... But then again, The guy could drive.....

Kilrtoy
04-29-2005, 07:12 PM
Sorry, as far as gas guzzling, NO way... Compare it to a big block and it is way better........

MONEYFURNOTHIN
04-29-2005, 07:16 PM
I have a 22dcb w/300x. Seems to handle moderate chop (2-3 footers) pretty well. Much more than that and you will get wet, but with sensible driving you will get home safe. I love mine, however not sure how much fun it will be on a bad day at havi.

welk2party
04-29-2005, 07:17 PM
Based on your comments I would say that you have only a little boating experience. This is a GREAT boat and would make a GREAT first time owner boat. As far as big lakes, you should have no problems as long as you drive within your experience. You will figure out what conditions you prefer to drive in. Good Luck and GO FOR IT!

77charger
04-29-2005, 08:08 PM
I was considering that same kind of boat a while back but settled on a 21ft v open bow.I have a little more freeboard than the 21ft tunnel does but i really dont think you would have aproblem at powell i take mine there and have had zero probs with water conditions.Have been at havasu when it is bad all i do is slow it down i got all day to go from point a to b

Charley
04-29-2005, 09:09 PM
Based on your comments I would say that you have only a little boating experience. This is a GREAT boat and would make a GREAT first time owner boat. As far as big lakes, you should have no problems as long as you drive within your experience. You will figure out what conditions you prefer to drive in. Good Luck and GO FOR IT!
based on your comments I'm guessing you have not been in the middle of Lake Mohave or Lake Mead at 2 in the afternoon in a 21' Daytona... ever... it is not a good "first boat" for someone wanting to hit the bigger lakes on a weekend...there is VERY little freeboard on the 21.... Parker or maybe needles on winter weekends and weekdays??.. Ya sure but in that price range if you wanna hit the lakes I would say belly up another 15k and buy a 3-5 year old american offshore with a 500... you will be alot happier, and thats not be jabbing at eliminator it's an honest opinion

boxscore
04-29-2005, 09:23 PM
based on your comments I'm guessing you have not been in the middle of Lake Mohave or Lake Mead at 2 in the afternoon in a 21' Daytona... ever... it is not a good "first boat" for someone wanting to hit the bigger lakes on a weekend...there is VERY little freeboard on the 21.... Parker or maybe needles on winter weekends and weekdays??.. Ya sure but in that price range if you wanna hit the lakes I would say belly up another 15k and buy a 3-5 year old american offshore with a 500... you will be alot happier, and thats not be jabbing at eliminator it's an honest opinion
I totally agree. I've been in moderate Havasu chop in a 22 DCB 300... pales in comparison to Mojave or Mead chop. It was a struggle to drive with any level of comfort. Little freeboard... and you'll always watchin those tips and wondering how close they are to stabbin. Great river boat though. Unbelieveable how light and manuevarable they are.

Get Porter
05-02-2005, 02:06 PM
So it sounds as though this won't be a good boat for at least Mead. I currently own a '78 Hondo jet boat that I've had for years, it has very little freeboard. One wave over the back and it will sink, I've actually had this happen once while it was beached! I have never had an outboard or tunnel hull so I am new to that. I have also never been to Mead but always wanted to go since I hear that hardly anyone goes there. What I really need to know is will I be safe out on Powell or even here in at Lake Pleasant? I do go there a lot and I know I would never take my old Kona there, it would be gone in minutes (in the channel at powell). I normally wouldn't spend this much money on a boat but since it's family and he is in a tight spot I was considering it. I also like the Daytona's seating arrangement (7 people easy) and the fact that it can hold 50 gallons of gas. How is the 300 Promax for a motor? Are they a pain in the butt or what?

Three Days Only
05-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Lake Mead gets nasty in any boat. 50 & 60' Houseboats sink there for gods sake. If your safe, you will be fine in a 21' daytona at any lake. You just need to be safe and think ahead. Stay away from the large basins if the wind is blowing hard and try to get back before the wind storms turn the lake into a gigantic washing machine. If you get stuck duck into a cove and always have a extra bottle of goose for emergencies!!

HavasuDreamin'
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Lake Mead gets nasty in any boat. 50 & 60' Houseboats sink there for gods sake. If your safe, you will be fine in a 21' daytona at any lake. You just need to be safe and think ahead. Stay away from the large basins if the wind is blowing hard and try to get back before the wind storms turn the lake into a gigantic washing machine. If you get stuck duck into a cove and always have a extra bottle of goose for emergencies!!
If you plan on doing any boating on Lake Mead, get a larger boat. I can count the number of times on one hand when it wasn't blowing like heck out there. The 21' Daytona is a good boat for Havasu and the river, but not Mead.
HD

Eliminator 4 Life
05-04-2005, 06:43 AM
Charley Im watching you haha I got lots of hats :cool:

welk2party
05-04-2005, 07:04 AM
I agree with you Charley. I was trying to say that as a first boat it is great and to learn how to use it and when. Sometimes I am not all that clear I guess.

Three Days Only
05-04-2005, 09:41 AM
Listen to all you guys. Its too small, its to this. I used to go out there with a 18' Eliminator sprint. Dont any of you guys remember the days prior to offshore rigs being out on lakes???

Boatmaster
05-05-2005, 02:04 PM
A single 21 Daytona is a much better rough water boat than a twin 21 or 22. At that price is is a very fair deal, but Charley is right you could spend alittle more and get alot more boat. I also agree with 3DO though on that we have all become brain washed into big boats and forget what we all started with. Bottom line good boat, fair price good luck.

Charley
05-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Charley Im watching you haha I got lots of hats :cool: but they aren't fitted!!! I just cant own a boat that has velcro fit hats! ;) ...... actually that reminds me of something REALLY funny I saw on Easter Sunday..... this is a true story... I'm pulling outta palm springs and there is a huge line to get on the 10.... I see this bum begging for money in the center divider way the Fock up there right as you enter the onramp...... so like 5 minutes go by and I get my turn into the turn lane and as I go by him I get a nice friendly toothless grin and realize he is wearing a "FORCE OFFSHORE" hat....... I was just crying thinking I should have gotten a pic of that for Deano and sandbar mike ;)

Jrocket
05-05-2005, 03:50 PM
but they aren't fitted!!! I just cant own a boat that has velcro fit hats! ;) ...... actually that reminds me of something REALLY funny I saw on Easter Sunday..... this is a true story... I'm pulling outta palm springs and there is a huge line to get on the 10.... I see this bum begging for money in the center divider way the Fock up there right as you enter the onramp...... so like 5 minutes go by and I get my turn into the turn lane and as I go by him I get a nice friendly toothless grin and realize he is wearing a "FORCE OFFSHORE" hat....... I was just crying thinking I should have gotten a pic of that for Deano and sandbar mike ;)
LMAO...

Charley
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
LMAO...
I was SOooooooo tempted to flip a bitch but I was beat tired and that line sucked!
:D