View Full Version : Moving oil sending Unit question

cave
04-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I want to move my oil sending unit above my oil filter. Is this possible
Here is where it is now
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/502/841oil_send_unit_1.jpg
Here is where I want to put it.
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/841oil_send_unit_2.jpg
I hope I can move it there cause that long nipple leaks. I have to strap the nipple to the ski bar. I would also look cleaner above the oil filter. I cant remember if I can put it there. :hammerhea

Oldsquirt
04-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes, you can put it there.

cave
04-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Thanks OLDSQUIRT.

BK
04-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Yeah you can put it there but only if you get rid of the FRAM oil filter! ;)

cave
04-29-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah you can put it there but only if you get rid of the FRAM oil filter! :D BK we have 7 reservoirs near me and all of them are surrounded by dusty desert.
OK BK what filter would you suggest? Now that the engine is out of the boat it will be easy to replace it.

Tahiti350
04-29-2005, 09:16 PM
Why not just use a 45 degree fitting to hide it low and behind the head, or put it in the oil galley at the front of the block, if it is drilled and tapped already. Pressure is more accurate on the top of the motor, as opposed to right at the filter. Just my .02 worth. :idea:

cave
04-29-2005, 09:25 PM
Kachina rigged it that way but with a smaller extension. As it is now I have to add spacers for the wire connection block. a 45° wouldn't clear the block. I would still have to use the extension or modify the position of the block. I'll check if I can move it over to the other side. I just want to eliminate the extension. I'm open to all suggestions at this point. Thanks for you help Tahiti350

bakerjet
04-29-2005, 10:09 PM
mine is mounted above the filter and works fine but i like wix or mobile filter!

Foggerjet
04-30-2005, 04:04 AM
I had a fram filter on when I first built my motor, oil pressure never dropped down low but fluctuated alot. I thought it was a faulty sender or guage. After reading a few threads on this, I changed to a NAPA (wix) filter, Voila! 65 psi steady. I'm a believer, a fram is Ok for a car I guess but not sustained RPM. Now it's nothin but WIX!
fog

1Bahnerjet
04-30-2005, 06:21 AM
my sending unit above oil filter, its mechanical gauge with plastic tubing running to dash. has anyone ever had trouble with plastic tubing ??? should the tubing be some other material ?

cave
04-30-2005, 07:06 AM
Is wix an acronym? Cool This is the Info I need. I need to make a trip to Bergeron Engineering later this morning. Hopefully they will have one.
1bahnerjet my OT's get hot enough to melt plastic. I'm going to try wrapping my diverter lines in one of those coiled plastic tubes as a barrier and secure them to the stringers.

BK
04-30-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey Cave, Wix are Napa Gold filters and they are real good. Baldwins are good, ive been using the K&N and its worked real well. Wasnt bashing you or anything just have had a problem with a Fram and heard many other with the same bad luck with them. Im puting my sending unit on the outside of the filter addapter as well, if you look down the page or next page further I just posted a ? about the same thing. Good luck!

Tahiti350
04-30-2005, 10:47 AM
I agree that mounting the sending unit at the filter is better than not having one, but doesn't show true pressure at the top of the motor. I built a '65 396 that had great oil press at the filter, and was oiling the rockers at idle, but would chatter the valve train above 2000 rpm :confused: . I put a second gauge on the port at the front of the block above the timing chain and found the pressure 5-10 psi lower at idle and that as rpm went up the pressure to the top of the motor didn't come up like the lower end :idea: . Long story short, found a cam bearing mis-indexed (couldn't get a ball point pen tip thru the opening) and acting as a top end restrictor :cool: . I've always kept the gauge up top since.
I also turned a cam bearing in a 360 Dodge (7,000+rpm & missed a shift :rolleyes: ), saw the oil press drop immediately, and saved the motor. Still had to tear it down to fix it, but only cost me a gasket set and a set of cam bearings. :squiggle:
As far as the plastic tubing for the mech oil gauge, copper tubing is a better choice around the engine and fiberglass structure on a boat. I had a plastic one wear thru and almost lost the motor because of it, not to mention 4 quarts of oil at 45-50 psi makes one he11 of a mess!!!! Just wind a few turns around a peice of 1 1/2" pipe to make a strain relief like on brake lines at the master cylinder. Helps prevent stress cracks. If the copper is close to any structure split a piece of vacumn hose and slip over it at that point to protect it.
It all comes down to the fact the oil press gauge is there to warn of problems, so why not make the most use of it :confused: . That's my .50 worth on the subject.

BK
05-01-2005, 06:18 PM
Sorry my bad, im puting my oil TEMP sender over the oil filter. My oil pressure sender is up front behind the alternator.

Tahiti350
05-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Okay, that sounds like an good idea, sorry for the long rant. :cool: