PDA

View Full Version : 300X dies without warning

F26
05-01-2005, 05:50 PM
i have a twin 300X setup and while running today the port side will die all of a sudden without warning and no alarm, then start right back up at times or it may take a sec like it is flooded.
A couple of times it dropped rpm to 0 and came right back up to rpm on its on while running like you quickly turned the key of and on. sometimes it will give an alarm beep but the smartcraft never read anything. I changed the fuel filter but no difference. Rpm doesnt seem to matter but it hasnt done it at idle.
The powerhead was off last weekend and it wasnt doing it before. :mad:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TOBTEK
05-01-2005, 06:57 PM
i have a twin 300X setup and while running today the port side will die all of a sudden without warning and no alarm, then start right back up at times or it may take a sec like it is flooded.
A couple of times it dropped rpm to 0 and came right back up to rpm on its on while running like you quickly turned the key of and on. sometimes it will give an alarm beep but the smartcraft never read anything. I changed the fuel filter but no difference. Rpm doesnt seem to matter but it hasnt done it at idle.
The powerhead was off last weekend and it wasnt doing it before. :mad:
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
SOUNDS exactly like what mine did after the new powerhead last yr. Mine turned out to be the reeds. came loose and lost a few pedel's. it acted like it was flooded as well.

Screaming Pete
05-02-2005, 08:09 AM
check the plugs if you have 1 or 2 that a darker or wet, that would be reeds. I went thru 3 set 1 year, Merc said I was slapping the pedal to much comming off of high rpm but i think they had bad reeds, but no problems in the last 1 1/2

Charley
05-02-2005, 08:18 AM
I dont want to be disrespectful, so if I come across that way I apologize in advance, but does it seem to anyone else that the 300x is not the ultra reliable 2 stroke alternative? I have heard of (Seems like anyway)tons of issues with these motors

mbrown2
05-02-2005, 09:07 AM
I dont want to be disrespectful, so if I come across that way I apologize in advance, but does it seem to anyone else that the 300x is not the ultra reliable 2 stroke alternative? I have heard of (Seems like anyway)tons of issues with these motors
What do you consider tons? cause I have heard and witnessed tons to the power of 2 for i/o hi-po motor problems and witnessed several this weekend....but I also heard of an outboard issue as well this weekend...My feeling after living with both is anything that runs 6000 Rpms all day, 100mph, and whether it is in the boat or on the back is gonna break....I don't believe in Turn Key anymore after having blown i/o and hi-po outboards... :cool:

cougarcat
05-02-2005, 10:28 AM
We've got a 2005 26' Daytona rigged with '05 300X's and heading towards JAX on the St. Johns river we lost the port engine. 4000 rpm's no/little load, no alarm, no noise, just died. Crank in pieces. Fired up the starboard engine and limped it to a marina. New powerhead on the way from Merc warranty. I would agree with mbrown2.....this thing gps's at 112 and for that kind of speed nothing is going to be turn-key all the time. F26-- Best of luck with your 300X's. They are awesome engines.

Screaming Pete
05-02-2005, 10:33 AM
Charley I know what you mean,sence i'm out of warenty i feel like i'm driving a hand gernade, i went thru reeds,reeds, reeds, a lower end, seals and last year at the end of the season it ran iffy at best, ran it a couple of weekends ago and it ran bitch'n go figure, now watch me trade in the mach 22 for a 26 with twim wackers when i should find one with a hp500 :)

Kilrtoy
05-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Ok a little help guys..
WHAT ARE REEDS.......and how much to replace or fix.....

Sherpa
05-02-2005, 01:45 PM
reeds in a 2 stroke are the equivilant to a valve for a 4 stroke..... compression keeps the reeds closed on compression stroke, and on intake
stroke the reeds flex inward to allow fuel/air to flow into the motor.....
I have no clue how hard reeds would be to change on an outboard, but on
motorcycles, gokart motors, etc, they're fairly easy.... remove carbs/FI, and
the reeds are directly below (they are part of the intake manifold) per-se.....
--Sherpa

Charley
05-02-2005, 02:14 PM
What do you consider tons? cause I have heard and witnessed tons to the power of 2 for i/o hi-po motor problems and witnessed several this weekend....but I also heard of an outboard issue as well this weekend...My feeling after living with both is anything that runs 6000 Rpms all day, 100mph, and whether it is in the boat or on the back is gonna break....I don't believe in Turn Key anymore after having blown i/o and hi-po outboards... :cool:
Ok, i'm not ragging or comparing it to inboard power.. it just seems to me the 300x has had alot more issues than I have seen from the 280 and even the 300 non X ...... Im not saying it's a lemon at all just seems like it's less reliable than it's counter parts, then again it could just "seem" that way to me

Screaming Pete
05-02-2005, 02:32 PM
I was over at DCB getting more Kool Aid and 2 of my buddys with 300's, 1 promax, 1 X = 2 bad lower ends WTF

mbrown2
05-02-2005, 02:35 PM
My buddy blew a hole in the block of his Modified V8 Rude last September...and by the look of how fast Longblock and Powerheads go on Scream and Fly for 280's I don't think they are immune from issues as well. I even thought Havasu Cig had a chronic problem with one of his 280's...

Screaming Pete
05-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I posted up here about 2 yrs ago about all the problems with these and thought a class action suite or lemon law should come into play...if you own one for more than the warrenty period plan on spending 5 grand for a lower and 6 grand for a power head during the honeymoon :cry:

Havasu Cig
05-02-2005, 05:51 PM
My buddy blew a hole in the block of his Modified V8 Rude last September...and by the look of how fast Longblock and Powerheads go on Scream and Fly for 280's I don't think they are immune from issues as well. I even thought Havasu Cig had a chronic problem with one of his 280's...
Your right about my problems with the 280's. I put 11 hours on the Skater this past weekend without any problems and my 2.5's never would stay together that long. Richie at Lakeland said the main issue with the X's seems to be breaking lower units, or seal problems in the lower units. He developed a vent system that has a puke tank that he said seems to have solved the seal issues so far. I am going to have him put them on our boat in the near future.

Kilrtoy
05-02-2005, 08:29 PM
What causes people to blow their lower units.....

pussycat
05-02-2005, 08:40 PM
One of the main problems with the lower units on the outboards are the pinion gear and the clutch gear between the forward and reverse gear sets. Most of the outboard set ups we see are on cats. Cats have a tendency to come out of the water at higher speeds and most drivers aren't quick enough to back off the sticks upon re-entry. This puts a lot of strain on the two above mention parts. If either of them fail at high speeds its like putting metal in a blender and you blow the case!!!!

Kilrtoy
05-02-2005, 08:46 PM
One of the main problems with the lower units on the outboards are the pinion gear and the clutch gear between the forward and reverse gear sets. Most of the outboard set ups we see are on cats. Cats have a tendency to come out of the water at higher speeds and most drivers aren't quick enough to back off the sticks upon re-entry. This puts a lot of strain on the two above mention parts. If either of them fail at high speeds its like putting metal in a blender and you blow the case!!!!
I have experienced this.... and yes it happens oh so quick......

Charley
05-03-2005, 07:08 AM
What causes people to blow their lower units.....
Pictures of Mrs kilrtoy? :jawdrop:

MONEYFURNOTHIN
05-03-2005, 10:23 AM
My lower is at lakeland now being rebuilt. Only 60hrs on it and it blew up. Bill is at 3400$. I thought these outboards were "bulletproof"?

Bre
05-03-2005, 10:24 AM
LMAO..... guess there's more to blow then :supp: :D

Kilrtoy
05-03-2005, 04:06 PM
and how many times have you blown one or a couple????????????????

F26
05-03-2005, 06:06 PM
so far no codes were thrown on the smartcraft and we are water testing tomorow....i will keep you posted
thanks for the help so far
its like you turn the key off and back on sometime
sounds electrical

HavasuDreamin'
05-03-2005, 06:22 PM
...and by the look of how fast Longblock and Powerheads go on Scream and Fly for 280's I don't think they are immune from issues as well.
You have to take everything you read over there with a grain of salt. Most of those guys are running highly modified 260's or 280's turning north of 9K. Nothing is going to live real long under those conditions. IMHO......the bone stock 2.5's are reliable and definately more reliable than the 300X motors. You just have to leave them alone, run good gas, and run good oil.
HD

Jrocket
05-03-2005, 06:48 PM
its like you turn the key off and back on sometime
sounds electrical
Usually if the power fades on and off it will be loss of fuel pressure or compression resulting in rings or reeds going bad or a few other things as well.
If the power cuts in and out very sharply its most likely a wire or terminal that has a bad connection.Wire backing out of plug,ignition wire,coil wire etc.Sometimes if its an ignition wire or coil wire no codes will be left,unless its a loss of 12v main powre wire.Different senarios but hopefully you get the idea now.You'ld be better off tacking down an electrical gremlin than finding out it starved for fuel and scored a piston,thats for sure.

TOBTEK
05-03-2005, 06:55 PM
JROCKET....what is Gary Teauge building you?

Jrocket
05-03-2005, 07:10 PM
A bill and a headache.

riverliver
05-03-2005, 08:05 PM
A bill and a headache.
LMAO :eek: :eek:

Charley
05-03-2005, 08:14 PM
and how many times have you blown one or a couple????????????????
Never.... I only fantasize about my lovely wife, and even if I did, I'm too smart to even fantasize about a cops wife! :D

Kilrtoy
05-03-2005, 08:48 PM
Never.... I only fantasize about my lovely wife, and even if I did, I'm too smart to even fantasize about a cops wife! :D
So what you are saying is
IT JUST SLIPPED OUT ONCE.........................

Three Days Only
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
He is building him a metal box to store my money in!!!
LOL
Toby, I dropped your stuff off and they were very impressed. You should be hearing something from them soon. They are pretty damn busy right now with all the carnage from the pokerun and everyone trying to get ready for summer!!

TOBTEK
05-04-2005, 09:55 AM
LOL
Toby, I dropped your stuff off and they were very impressed. You should be hearing something from them soon. They are pretty damn busy right now with all the carnage from the pokerun and everyone trying to get ready for summer!!
YOUR THE MAN! we just had a threeway call with the chemist, this are looking UP!

mbrown2
05-04-2005, 10:06 AM
YOUR THE MAN! we just had a threeway call with the chemist, this are looking UP!
Toby, check your PM's...do you have two gallons? Can I just paypal and you send...I am needing some juice brotha?

TOBTEK
05-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Toby, check your PM's...do you have two gallons? Can I just paypal and you send...I am needing some juice brotha?
DUDE.......I brought two gallons for ya, just needed to hook up with you. I should have brought it out to the sand bar! You DO NOT want to ship this, shipping is a complete POKE! Just shipped four gallons yesterday, and it was 32.00 for shipping! ouch. I'll have WW bring a few cases out for everyone in a few weeks.

Jrocket
05-04-2005, 10:45 AM
I keep your cash on me at all times,just so I remember who I'm focking! LOL

F26
05-05-2005, 02:00 PM
pulled the harnesses and reconnected and the problem has since went away
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Pass the salt!

Jrocket
05-05-2005, 02:05 PM
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Pass the salt!
Ahhhh electrical,got off with an easy fix..Nice!

Screaming Pete
05-05-2005, 05:57 PM
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew
Pass the salt!
Good job , but who thought of that???

Charley
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
My 1998 300 Pro Max (I bought it brand new as a Non-Current in the year 2000) has 150 hours on it. I have not had ONE problem with it. I have upgraded the lower unit to the FAT SHAFT. This is now standard on all 300's after year 2001.
If you are running a single or double outboard... you should be using "In-Control" foot throttles. A split foot throttle for double outboards. It's easier and almost an automatic reaction to lift your foot as opposed to backing off a hand throttle... at least for non offshore use.
I use only 100 Octane fuel from Terrible Herbst or Parker Oil. I always take my two gallon oil container to Lakeland for refilling with their TCW III Premium Plus oil. Lakeland buys it by the 55 gallon drum and then resells it. It’s cheaper than West Marine’s price and I get to say Hi to Lew, Kathy and Richy. They are great people and I would NEVER let anyone else touch my motor.
My 300PM has been very reliable and running at 93 MPH I am very happy.
http://www.taycoeng.com/images/hsrunning.jpg
nice lookin daytona....93... nice numbers too!

Jrocket
05-09-2005, 04:13 PM
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/1693Poker_Run_429s.jpg
Guy wouldnt even wave at me! LOL

Charley
05-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Thank You Charley!!!
That's a nice compliment. I hit 96 MPH once but have not been able to repeat it again. Your rides have been legendary. I hope to see you at Havasu sometime soon. Good luck on the new addition to your family.
Very kind words and thank you.... would love to hang with you on the water/beach... anytime