PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel vs Flexplate

Frosty_pop
05-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I was wondering which everybody is running. I was thinking of switching to a flexplate to increase my RPM level. Is this the right thing to do?

HBjet
05-02-2005, 12:14 AM
Flexplate.... Flywheel is way too heavy...
HBjet

BK
05-02-2005, 07:17 AM
Ive been running a flywheel in mine. Not sure but id make sure if your motor was ballanced with the flywheel and you changed to a flexplate, would that cause a problem?

Frosty_pop
05-03-2005, 04:04 AM
I am running a small block and it just seems that I get to RPM level and can't get above it. Will a lighter rotating assembly help this? I get up to RPM real fast, just can't get any more

justaddfuel
05-03-2005, 04:39 AM
I used to play around with dune buggies, and one of the things you can do is put a lighter flywheel on. I did this to mine and noticed a big difference. It felt alot peppier going through the gears, I guess cause the engine can rev quicker due to laws of science. But I noticed no change to top rpm. Also, it lost some of it's tractability, like going slow through technical sections, you had to pay more attention to keep the motor spinning.
So I'm curious, also. What are the effects of no flywheel? When you unload the pump, wouldn't the heavy fly act as a "shock absorber" to protect the motor, or is it the pump you're trying to protect in that situation?

dmontzsta
05-03-2005, 06:30 AM
Go with a flexplate, I have both in my garage and the flywheel has a good 15lbs on the flexplate.

Sangster
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
How bout' a Cam change.... :confused:

Frosty_pop
05-04-2005, 03:55 AM
How bout' a Cam change.... :confused:
Did a cam change, didn't help much

lilrick
05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
SFI flexplate .Don't put a stock one on, as it will crack.

UBFJ #454
05-05-2005, 01:51 PM
On page 4 of the 'Gear Heads' Section under the title 'Billet Flywheels' this subject was discussed at length. You might want to check it out.

Mighty Thor
05-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Flexplate = lighter rotating mass so engine will rev quicker but not necessarily any higher RPM. Flywheel = heavier rotating mass so engine will rev slower but retains more kinetic energy in heavy spinning object so may have more useable torque at lower rpms depending on needs.
Example. motocross motorcycles need to have quick acceleration out of corners so need light flywheels. Trail bikes need low RPM power for climbing over trees, rocks etc. we put heavier than stock flywheels on the trail bikes to give low rpm torque that we can use.

Frosty_pop
05-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Depends on what you want to do. Flexplate = lighter rotating mass so engine will rev quicker but not necessarily any higher RPM. Flywheel = heavier rotating mass so engine will rev slower but retains more kinetic energy in heavy spinning object so may have more useable torque at lower rpms depending on needs.
Example. motocross motorcycles need to have quick acceleration out of corners so need light flywheels. Trail bikes need low RPM power for climbing over trees, rocks etc. we put heavier than stock flywheels on the trail bikes to give low rpm torque that we can use.
Maybe I should try a flexplate?

shaun
05-07-2005, 09:40 PM
My post on this a year or so ago..
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46151&highlight=flywheel
Might help you decide... I went flexplate.