View Full Version : Junked another one

AZKC
05-02-2005, 07:24 AM
OK I'm at wits end with these motors. Here's a link to my latest fiasco. Trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong or what the hell is happening :hammerhea :umm:
Link to motor thread (http://www.havasudoug.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=3;t=4328;st=0;&#entry86447;ref=65-1040251577)
:)

cdog
05-02-2005, 07:34 AM
If you can take that engine to Larry Peto. He does great work and knows his stuff. He did some work on my schiada and got it done in a reasonal amount of time. What part of Tucson do you live? I reconize your boat.

Tahiti350
05-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Here is another thread here on ***boat, http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77941
that is having problems with valves hitting also. It sounds like something basic wrong with the combo. Talk to a machine shop about having the pistons flycut to open up the valve relief, as it looks to be for the smaller intake valve, judging from where the valve is hitting the piston valve relief. If it was a timing or lift issue it SHOULD have contact all across the relief, not just on the one side. The other possibility is that the piston valve reliefs are positioned in the wrong place by the manufacture.
Easiest way to check valve to piston clearance is: put a small piece of clay or playdough on the piston at the valve relief, snug (not torque) the head on the block WITHOUT the gasket, SLOWLY roll the crank through 2 revolutions BY HAND, remove the head and measure the thickness of the clay at the thinnest point. ADD the compressed thickness of your gasket and you have the true valve clearance. Average Gasket crush height can vary from .020-.040, so check the manufactures spec's to find it.
If the Valve hits the piston without the gasket then you are already too close for a high-RPM, high-load motor, IMO.
Yes, I've built a few. Yes, I've made mistakes. No, that won't stop me from figuring out what I did wrong and trying again. Just remember we have boats because we can't walk on water (We aren't perfect!!!)!!

AZKC
05-02-2005, 09:18 AM
If you can take that engine to Larry Peto. He does great work and knows his stuff. He did some work on my schiada and got it done in a reasonal amount of time. What part of Tucson do you live? I reconize your boat.
Larry does most of my machine work, has for years, Him and Steff have always treated me great.
I live Northwest over by Ina and Thornydale. You from T Town :confused:

cruser
05-02-2005, 11:01 AM
Oldsquirt has the answer in his response on the thread you linked to.

cdog
05-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Larry does most of my machine work, has for years, Him and Steff have always treated me great.
I live Northwest over by Ina and Thornydale. You from T Town :confused:
My wife is from T town and I lived there temp. for two years doing telephone work. My company rebuilt the underground plant in that area back in 99-2001.
Small world. I remember seeing your boat in one of those neighborhoods. We did'nt see too many boats there in Tucson, I assume that's why yours is stuck in my memory. It sounds like you have a good handle on where to get engine work done in those parts, Larry treated me pretty well and did the job right the first time. My boss out there was from florida and rented a house just east of the foothills mall. I kept my boat over there but those drives to havasu from tucson were killin me.My wifes family lives there and we have lots of friends there in T town, in fact we're meeting up with some of them this weekend at lake powel. Good luck with your fix.

1BIGJIM
05-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I read most of the posts and saw the picture of the timing gear. If you are trying to install the cam straight up thats not correct. I can see the timing dot on the gear that is supposed to be used. That would explain why you are hitting pistons. I made the same mistake years ago, only in the opposite direction. Boat ran great in the driveway but would not get on plane.

AZKC
05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
Yes he does, and boy do I feel like an idiot :cry: Thanks for the help folks. The gunshot you hear tonight at about 7pm will be my wife shooting me after I tell her what's wrong. :notam:

Moneypitt
05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
We all make mistakes, sometimes the same one over and over again.. That is how we learn.........The 4* option,(advanced) will work just fine. The main idea is to over come chain stretch, and all chains will stretch a couple of degrees over time.........Sorry you had to suffer the damage, good luck with the next one....MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
05-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Agreed....Kc I am sorry to hear about the problem. I totally feel ya about having motor problems. I guess it will go into a story that we tell when we get old and grey. "Remember the time when I did that wrong". I always think about stupid shit I have done wrong. Just like when I didnt put the bilge plug in :cry: Alot of water came in fast!!! Its all good brotha;) You will be all right. Just thank god that we have fellow boaters on here that know thier shit;) and offer help and advice to us FREE of charge;)

Sleek-Jet
05-02-2005, 10:55 PM
...I guess it will go into a story that we tell when we get old and grey. "Remember the time when I did that wrong"...
He's already there... LOL... :D

AZKC
05-03-2005, 07:00 AM
:devil: Focker :D

1BIGJIM
05-03-2005, 09:33 AM
You are still alive :D :D
The wife must be understanding :cool:

lucky
05-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Agreed....Kc I am sorry to hear about the problem. I totally feel ya about having motor problems. I guess it will go into a story that we tell when we get old and grey. "Remember the time when I did that wrong". I always think about stupid shit I have done wrong. Just like when I didnt put the bilge plug in :cry: Alot of water came in fast!!! Its all good brotha;) You will be all right. Just thank god that we have fellow boaters on here that know thier shit;) and offer help and advice to us FREE of charge;)
the school of hard knocks - lol - i'm the dunce in the corner lol -- one thing about it - when it happens - you never let it happen again - its always somthing else - then your run out of somthing else's and you buy new cars cause you hate to work on stuff lol :D

AZKC
05-03-2005, 03:38 PM
You are still alive :D :D
The wife must be understanding :cool:
Well she's just waiting till it runs for more than a day at the lake and then she's going to off me :hammer2: She quit building motors when she started getting her nails done :D

Jordy
05-03-2005, 03:41 PM
and offer help and advice to us FREE of charge;)
and drop off parts free of charge to our not so fortunate Ford breaking brothas. :D :D :D

460 jus getn it
05-03-2005, 04:14 PM
and drop off parts free of charge to our not so fortunate Ford breaking brothas. :D :D :D
thats a low blow jordy. i still have the carb but i have bigger problems now. at least i got to tow a chevy in twice :D :D before my problems started.

Jordy
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
thats a low blow jordy.
All in fun. I've got some spare Chevy parts when you get ready to turn that ford into what it's supposed to be, an anchor. :D :D :D

460 jus getn it
05-03-2005, 04:20 PM
All in fun. I've got some spare Chevy parts when you get ready to turn that ford into what it's supposed to be, an anchor. :D :D :D
:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :2purples: :2purples: :2purples: NEVER