PDA

View Full Version : Your Feelings On WPM 23 CAT

Freak
01-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Hi all,
First time cat buyer here. The WPM23 at DCB kinda tickles my fancy. I am asking for your imput on the boat, ie. build quality - builder quailty - ride - etc.
Thanks
Humm I wonder if this will start any argue

Charley
01-06-2003, 08:16 AM
talk to Bryan aka: jm2driver on these boards... He just bought a DCB Mach 26 but he owned a 23' wpm cat for years and I personally hung with him on 20 or so river trips with it.... the boat IMHO is a GREAT 1rst Cat boat.... it's extremely stable for it's size yet small and light enough to learn how to drive a cat with.... They are reasonably priced, even new ........ if you are serious call Dave @ DCB and he might still have Bryans boat for sale....good boat with a fresh blower motor...legitimate 100 mph boat....either way Good luck!
http://www.***boat.net/class/bryboat4.jpg
http://www.stage-tech.com/bryboat2.jpg :D

Freak
01-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks - the one at DCB is the one I have a interest in.

Cole
01-06-2003, 09:16 AM
I have a good friend who has one and he loves it!!
Its a tom stolars special and like charlie said a good starter cat...however,you might want to shop around and compare hull design and styling!!goodluck Cole :D

jm2drvr
01-06-2003, 10:07 AM
I love my new mach26, but I still have a sweet spot for that wpm 23. It was a very good boat for me and a great buy at 32k.

ZSARGO
01-06-2003, 10:30 AM
A GOOD BUDDY OF MINE OWNS ONE. IT'S PUSHING ABOUT 900 PONIES OR SO. RUNS ABOUT 110. NO FLEX IN THE HULL AND RIDES MUCH BETTER THAN MY MACH 22. IT'S A GREAT BOAT. THE ONE A DCB IS PRETTY CLEAN. JUST DON'T LIKE ALL THE CANOPY COVER SNAPS AROUND THE BOAT. BUT FOR THE PRICE YOU CAN'T GO WRONG. WITH THE SET UP ON THAT BOAT YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THE OUTDRIVE EITHER. I WOULD JUMP ON THAT THING.

jm2drvr
01-06-2003, 12:59 PM
I think the one with all the canopy cover snaps is gone/sold. I believe it was a 98 or so for 44k.

ZSARGO
01-06-2003, 07:00 PM
THAT SUCKS. THE OTHER ONE IS PRETTY BEAT UP. MY BUDDY, THAT HAS THE 23WPM, MIGHT BE SELLING HIS SOON. HE WANTS A 28 DAYTONA. IT'S GOT A NEW IMCO EXTEME DRIVE AND THE STEREO IS CRAZY. 8 10'S IS THE BOW? ANYWAYS. I SURE HE WILL POST IF FOR SALE.

Jrocket
01-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Isnt there a young kid with kinda darker hair that has one of those in the Prker area.Ive talked to him before at the sand bar.It was an all white boat with pretty big inch blower motor.Said it ran about 113 or so...Anybody know who Im talking about?

MOPAR2YA
01-06-2003, 11:27 PM
His name is Brad. Has a trailer in echo lodge.
[ February 03, 2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: MOPAR2YA ]

dorC
01-09-2003, 10:43 AM
Some are good some are so, so. It depends on which version you get, which company built it, and what their financial status was when it was built. I wouldn't want the last couple that rolled off the line.

DEEZ NUTTS
01-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Charlie said that this is a good starter cat I have not ridden in one but it seems to me that 100mph and 23' might not be very forgiving for a new owners mistakes. For the money you cannot beat it. I saw DCB's ad in the AZ trader and started thinking about checking it out myself.
Money not being the issue, would'nt a 26'-29' cat react slower and be more forgiving for a rookie?
I will be in the cat hunt soon also.

jm2drvr
01-13-2003, 07:43 PM
I'll go out on a limb here and say that there arent many boats in this size that will ride as well as this boat does. For being only 23' long, it handles some big water, and I think thats what charlie was referring to.

Charley
01-13-2003, 09:35 PM
DEEZ NUTTS:
Please correct me if I'm wrong. Charlie said that this is a good starter cat I have not ridden in one but it seems to me that 100mph and 23' might not be very forgiving for a new owners mistakes. For the money you cannot beat it. I saw DCB's ad in the AZ trader and started thinking about checking it out myself.
Money not being the issue, would'nt a 26'-29' cat react slower and be more forgiving for a rookie?
I will be in the cat hunt soon also. Thats fair.... he asked about quality and ride etc....and I gave him my personal .02 on that particular boat... It takes rough water very well for a 23' cat ... I assumed that he was in that price range as most of us usually ask questions about boats we can afford.... but if money is no object I'd say buy a Mach 26.... now regarding the 100 mph deal... well you are probably right 100 mph is too fast to be running your first cat , well at least in the first 10 trips, but how many cat owners are there on this board that have a 75mph cat and after 10 trips want to go 100? sorry but it's most of em! :D ... I'll just say this... you cant buy a 100 mph cat for 32k-33k very often and if you have never owned a cat before I honestly wouldn't suggest a cat over 27' maybe 28' for your first.... thats just my humble opinion :)
[ January 13, 2003, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Charley ]

ZSARGO
01-13-2003, 09:54 PM
I'VE BEEN IN BRAD'S 23 WPM NUMEROUS TIMES OVER 100 MPH. IT FEELS LIKE THE BOATS ON A RAIL. VERY, VERY, VERY STABLE BOAT. COMPARED TO MY MACH 22 AT 80 MPH JUST-WELL IT. JUST NO COMPARISION. THE WPM IS FAR SUPERIOR IN RIDE. SO UNLESS YOUR GOING TO STEP UP TO A 25 DAYTONA, MACH 26, AMERICAN OFFSHORE 2600 ETC ETC IT'S A GOOD CHOICE. 21 DAYTONA, MACH22, ADVANTAGE 22 SPORT CAT, 22 COUGAR OR ANY OTHER BOAT IN THE SIZE RANGE THE 23 WPM IS A GOOD CHOICE. YOU MAY ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT A 24 SS HTM, BUT THEY CAN BE A BIT PRICEY DEPENDING ON THE MOTOR APPLICATION. THEY HAVE A FEW AT LONG BEACH YACHT SALES. WWW.LBYS.COM (http://WWW.LBYS.COM) IS THE WEB SITE. THEY ARE ALL REPOS SO YOU CAN PICK THEM UP PRETTY CHEAP.
[ January 14, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: ZSARGO ]

Cole
01-14-2003, 01:51 PM
The HTM's at long beach ys are not repos!! i was talking to the sales mgr and they are consignments.Both are real nice..hugh motor in one ..610ci aluminum merlin block.both are the SR's....nice,pricy though!! Cole