PDA

View Full Version : Rudder for place diverter...

kronikenergy
05-02-2005, 03:45 PM
I am having a place diverter installed and would like to know if any of you would suggest installing the rudder? I have no experience in this matter. The current configuration does have a rudder but I don't know how much it contributes as I have never been without it and am unable to compare. Any feedback would be much apreciated. Thanks. FYI-1977 Challenger 19' and do 99% of my boating at the river near Oxbow/Destiny's Riviera. Thanks...

sidewound
05-02-2005, 04:11 PM
My agressor came with one but it's the size of a popsicle stick. Don't think it does a damn bit of good. Looks better than the empty spot it would leave I guess.
Peace Man! :cool:
CESAR

olbiezer
05-02-2005, 05:09 PM
rudders are a subject that always cause alot of .......ya there good.........no there not contraversity. i always liked the low speed manuverability it gave me but someone on here will always disagree! one thing for sure....unless u are going for some speed record...... it cant hurt! good luck with it.

MudPumper
05-02-2005, 07:09 PM
rudders are a subject that always cause alot of .......ya there good.........no there not contraversity. i always liked the low speed manuverability it gave me but someone on here will always disagree! one thing for sure....unless u are going for some speed record...... it cant hurt! good luck with it.
OK, I'll be the first do disagree :wink: It's a waste of money and you will never know the difference. Forget about the rudder. :p Seriously.

olbiezer
05-02-2005, 07:26 PM
told ya!!!

Sanger Jet
05-03-2005, 11:40 AM
OK, I'll be the first do disagree :wink: It's a waste of money and you will never know the difference. Forget about the rudder. :p Seriously.
Yepper :D

TBONE1904
05-03-2005, 12:16 PM
pros: very very very very very very very small advantage in low speed manuverability.
cons: more money, usually hits while towing, reduced clearance on water.
I didnt install a rudder on my 19' Bahner, and never knew the difference. I dont think you will even know it is gone if you dont reinstall.

NELSON#109
05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
My Turn.... I Ran The Large Place Ruder On Two Of My Boats. 1st On My 72 Sleekcraft. On The Sleek, It Did Not Make A Noticable Differance At Any Speed. On My Challenger, It Did Nothing To Help At Low Speeds, But At High Speeds, It Would Take Advantage Of The Small Amount Of Slack In The Steering Cable And Dance Left N Right. The Wheel Would Be Gin L To R In Ur Hands About 1 Inch Ea. Way. Made The Boat Dance A Little. The Only Way To Stop The Dance Was To Turn One Way Or The Other A Bit. I Shit Caned It After Tryin Everything To Reduce The Steering Play ( Which Was Near Nothing ). The Ruder Is On My Tri-hull Now, Dont Think It Will Ever Go Fast Enough To Hurt It, N Might Help A Little In A Tight Turn ( Not ). I Say Shit Can It.... I Could Let Of The Gas At Full Throttle N Turn It All The Way Either Way, And It Didnt Do Chit.

flat broke
05-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Personally, I think they are worthless, but something to remember for anyone that might be looking to set up a circle boat/nostalgia/endurance rig. Most sanctioning bodies will require a rudder that extends a minimum of 4" below the thrustline. So if you have one and plan on racing your boat outside of the drags, don't toss the bugger.
Chris

olbiezer
05-03-2005, 01:14 PM
ok ....my 2 cents again......most of u guys run the west coast and colorado wish doesent have alot of turns and is wide. here in sh_t land mississippi we have narrow rivers and lots of turns.........so.....it can help or not depends on your rig. but when my engine quit once in a turn at 50 mph it sure helped me turn and stop short of the woods. if u got it try it if it dont work take it off. ...that simple. tril and error. good luck

MudPumper
05-03-2005, 01:54 PM
ok ....my 2 cents again......most of u guys run the west coast and colorado wish doesent have alot of turns and is wide. here in sh_t land mississippi we have narrow rivers and lots of turns.........so.....it can help or not depends on your rig. but when my engine quit once in a turn at 50 mph it sure helped me turn and stop short of the woods. if u got it try it if it dont work take it off. ...that simple. tril and error. good luck
Your right, all of our rivers are a straight line. We haul ass one way, stop and turn while using forward reverse to jocky the boat around, and then haul ass in the other direction and start over. It's kinda like swimming the freestyle in the olympics.......just back and forth, back and forth. LOL :smile: Just givin you a hard time man. :rollside: But just to bring up a small point. I don't recall ever seeing rudders on the aluminum boats that run the rapids or the ones from New Zealand that run those crazy race tracks, but then I may have never noticed either. :notam:

sleekvino
05-03-2005, 03:23 PM
i have a small rudder on my place diverter and i ran it with and with out i did notice that when the ass of the boat digs in on a sharp turn that the rudder does help it track better than without but the big differnce is docking in tight spaces it does help there,it think most guys wont but it because it gives no extra speed.just my 2cents. :rolleyes:

olbiezer
05-03-2005, 05:26 PM
rudders here...rudders there......80 bucks to keep u out of the woods in a engineless turn is well worth it to me lol. i kinda liked the 3000 dollar paint job i had on the old biezer lol. i think i already said there would be contraversy about this one. thats why i bought a v drive..........lots of rudder....i just love rudders............. :rollside:

sanger rat
05-03-2005, 06:52 PM
I couldn't have said it better. I also have a skag on the bottom of my boat. I think the two work together very well. I can see not running one on a big lake but no way on my river.