PDA

View Full Version : I broke the skeg on my Bravo 1

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 11:16 AM
Where can I take it to have it repaired and what should I expect to pay? I am located in Thousand Oaks so preferably somewhere close

cole13
05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Try Jim Lange at Hi-Tech Marine in Simi Valley (805) 583-2656. He is an upstanding guy, but he moved his shop to the other side of Simi off of Tapo I think.

scarabrick2
05-03-2005, 11:21 AM
Save yourself some money and take the leg (outdrive) off. A lot of places don't want to take responsibility for your boat/damage. It only take 5 min to remove it.

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
I called Jim and left him a message, now I am waiting for a return call.
How do I remove the lower unit? Is it as simple as unbolting and lowering it down, or do I have to be aware of seals and such? Also when i put it back on do I have to set up any tolerances...

INSman
05-03-2005, 12:41 PM
As an option, try Eric at Maverick Marine in Van Nuys.. (818) 989-4445
He just did the 50hr. service on my DANA before I sold it and got Merc to pick up the tab for about $1,300 worth of repairs, parts and labor, even when the boat was out of warranty !!!
You are probably looking at around maybe $500 depending on how bad the damage was. Had the same problem once and I think maybe IMCO did the repairs.
Good luck,
Blane

rivercrazy
05-03-2005, 12:43 PM
Ditto. Eric really knows his stuff inside/out.....,I won't take my boat anywhere else

Waldo
05-03-2005, 12:46 PM
I was quoted $450 last year from a company in OC. They pull the drive, fix it, and replace the drive. I don't remember the company though.

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 01:23 PM
Well thr guy that does my props said he would repair it for $150.00 so I think I'll go that route :D . Now can anyone tell me the steps to removing my lower unit, sounds easy, but I want to make sure there isn't anything special I need to be aware of before I take it off. Thanks for the help guys

Essex29
05-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Well thr guy that does my props said he would repair it for $150.00 so I think I'll go that route :D . Now can anyone tell me the steps to removing my lower unit, sounds easy, but I want to make sure there isn't anything special I need to be aware of before I take it off. Thanks for the help guys
What do you mean by "broke the skeg"??
Post a picture of it

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 01:29 PM
I'll try and snap a picture later, but I broke off a piece of the skeg that is on the bottom of the outdrive

surfer2001
05-03-2005, 01:34 PM
The Propeller company in Havsu fixed mine last year for under a hundred. it was in really bad shape too. After Richard fixed it, you could not tell it had been crashed.

INSman
05-03-2005, 02:51 PM
$150 sounds WAY too cheap. I would expect to pay more for a quality job where you could basically never tell that it had been repaired. Although saving money is great, you usually get what you pay for !! :squiggle:

dicudmore
05-03-2005, 03:04 PM
$150 sounds WAY too cheap. I would expect to pay more for a quality job where you could basically never tell that it had been repaired. Although saving money is great, you usually get what you pay for !! :squiggle:
you're right...no more discounts on paint work for you :D

Havasu Hangin'
05-03-2005, 03:33 PM
To do it right, you should take the lower off and take it apart. If you put too much heat (from the welding) on the propshaft seal, it will fail. The problem is that you won't know it failed until you have water in your outdrive.
The welding is the easy part...

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 05:52 PM
I am going to take it to my prop guy, he has always done great work on my props and I have no reason to think the repair job on my skeg will be any less. The nice thing is he is right next door to the guy that services my outdrive and he is the one that recommended I take it to the prop shop. I only broke the very bottom off so I don't think it will get to hot around the seal, but I will ask the guy who services my outdrive what he thinks before I drop it off at the shop.
Back to removing the lower unit... Is remoaval as easy as drain oil, remove prop, remove six bolts and drop it down. Is there any seals I have to be aware of? How about setting up any tolerances when I put it back on? Thanks for the help

INSman
05-03-2005, 06:32 PM
you're right...no more discounts on paint work for you :D
Boats and trucks are two entirely different animals my friend !!! :messedup: ;)
I expect those discounts to still be coming hot and heavy !! :supp:

BALLSDEEP
05-03-2005, 07:27 PM
I am going to take it to my prop guy, he has always done great work on my props and I have no reason to think the repair job on my skeg will be any less. The nice thing is he is right next door to the guy that services my outdrive and he is the one that recommended I take it to the prop shop. I only broke the very bottom off so I don't think it will get to hot around the seal, but I will ask the guy who services my outdrive what he thinks before I drop it off at the shop.
Back to removing the lower unit... Is remoaval as easy as drain oil, remove prop, remove six bolts and drop it down. Is there any seals I have to be aware of? How about setting up any tolerances when I put it back on? Thanks for the help
Ian:
I live in Newbury Park and actually used to work with your dad!
I had to do this last season, its pretty easy. I took both prop and lower unit to Brian at Valley Prop in Ventura. I think he repaired mine for like $200-300 and it took about a week. I highly recommend dealing with him, he really knows his stuff and will tell you more than you ever want to know about props.
The lower unit is real easy to do, there is only a coupe of seals that you need to replace areound were the shaft goes into the upper unit. You can probably get the seals from BoostPower or Far West Marine (Far West kinda blows they may not have them but its worth looking into.) If they dont stock them there is a real good boat shop in the valley called The Anchor, they have everything. Send me a PM if you need any help, but its real easy.

Speedin' Ian
05-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Small world! Yeah I've always had good luck with Brian as well, I'll probably drop the lower unit on Thursday and give it to them on Friday or Saturday