PDA

View Full Version : Hot Thunder Nationals In Brady Jun. 4th - 5th

Shark In The Pond
05-04-2005, 04:23 AM
Whos coming and whos running ? I will be there and I got a wild hair so I'm going to run THE BLACK PEARL in RRII :jawdrop: Will be the first time on the rope and I sure wish there was a T&T day !

jdf
05-04-2005, 04:47 AM
hey shark good luck it's a fun class ....make sure your steering wheel is straight when you take off been there

Shark In The Pond
05-04-2005, 04:52 AM
hey shark good luck it's a fun class ....make sure your steering wheel is straight when you take off been there
Bet that was no fun ? Thanks I look forward to getting on the rope and hope I don't embarr "ass" myself to bad trying to get the clock down ,lord knows I watch the clock enough but I'm sure all that will change sitting in the boat holding the rope and looking down the track ! :jawdrop:

jdf
05-04-2005, 05:04 AM
hey call me i will give you some pointer's 903-312-0791 ..

Shark In The Pond
05-04-2005, 05:07 AM
Thanks I will do so !

jdf
05-04-2005, 05:16 AM
i first race was a funny thing to watch when i left the rope i was late on the clock and had to run him down and out the back door .....

Liberator TJ1984
05-04-2005, 05:31 AM
Shark, don't think I will make it , gotta work :( that weekend..
BUT : I did pick up a bellhousing cover while at the Waco drags so I can start working on my driveline cover :wink: and I think all that else is needed is a rope catch and kill switch for me to ready to run legaly ??
I have heard I may have to run a jetaway ,popoff or ratchet due to having a blown motor ??? since I don't have any . :mad:
...I am doing a little research on the rules??
Good to meet ya in Waco :cool:
Gopher

esabataj
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Whos coming and whos running ? I will be there and I got a wild hair so I'm going to run THE BLACK PEARL in RRII :jawdrop: Will be the first time on the rope and I sure wish there was a T&T day !
Better watch out Sharkie. I know first hand how addicting racing can be. :D
Wish I could come up that weekend but I have to be in Amarillo on business :frown:
Better have someone there to take lots of Pics.

Shark In The Pond
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Shark, don't think I will make it , gotta work :( that weekend..
BUT : I did pick up a bellhousing cover while at the Waco drags so I can start working on my driveline cover :wink: and I think all that else is needed is a rope catch and kill switch for me to ready to run legaly ??
I have heard I may have to run a jetaway ,popoff or ratchet due to having a blown motor ??? since I don't have any . :mad:
...I am doing a little research on the rules??
Good to meet ya in Waco :cool:
Gopher
Bummer you can't make it but hopefully you guys are coming back to Waco for round 2 and if all goes well in Brady for me I will race Waco ! It was great to meet you and the Midnight Boat Works group again in Waco. I met most of ya'll at the Bikini Shoot but it was kinda breif . What about old Cornbread is he going to run Brady ?

Shark In The Pond
05-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Better watch out Sharkie. I know first hand how addicting racing can be. :D
Wish I could come up that weekend but I have to be in Amarillo on business :frown:
Better have someone there to take lots of Pics.
Bummer again ! I'm spending money like I had it to get ready for Brady so I guess you can say I'm addicted all ready and I need a fix bad ! :D

Liberator TJ1984
05-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Shark, I am more than sure he will be at Brady if all goes well ??? He was having Carb issues at Waco for some reason ??? It ran like a scalded cat at the lake but had issues up there , who knows ?? I know it is buggin' the crap out of him.....
Like I said , I would like mine to pass Tech and make a few runs , at least so I know on Paper what the boat will do... :confused:
see ya at Medina anyways.... :D
Gopher

sdba069
05-05-2005, 08:24 PM
Pretty sure the ratchet or pop-off device aren't required unless you run faster than 10 seconds, it may even be faster than 9 seconds. You can find that info on the SDBA website or rulebook. Hey Kevin, thanks again for the shirts and you know I will help you any way I can. Hey Liberator, any idea how fast your boat is? David, you might as well come on down, too. We'll have both out blown alky Placecraft's there, as well as the rest of the herd. How about that 7.79 in the Place jet. That's the boat that all the guru's told me we'd never make run faster than 9 seconds with the lakeboat hardware. That was with a 4.30 1/8th mile E.T.

sdba069
05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
The blower itself doesn't dictate the use of the pop-off or ratchet. The E.T. does. If you are on gas you are not required to run a blower restraint, if you are on alky, you are. I believe that's injected alky, not carbed.

sdba069
05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
I just went to the website and looked at the rules. They state that all jet boats are required to have a ratchet and/or a pop-off. I do not believe that is correct, so I emailed John White and will get back to you guys with his answer. I know that there are lots of jets running without either, but they are not in the faster classes.

Shark In The Pond
05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
I just went to the website and looked at the rules. They state that all jet boats are required to have a ratchet and/or a pop-off. I do not believe that is correct, so I emailed John White and will get back to you guys with his answer. I know that there are lots of jets running without either, but they are not in the faster classes.
I have been talking with White via e-mail on what all I need and will not need all the above . Garry are you going to Brady and if so do you think we need to try setting ride plate in between rounds to see if anything else might be there I have never tried it any different since you put it on ? I think we have about 5 of us running at Brady so I have plenty of help so if you got any tricks up your sleeves bring it with ya so I can try to makes some more ump between rounds ? And thanks for the offer on help trust me I will be picking your brain and buying parts in order to be a threat in RR II !

jdf
05-06-2005, 12:14 AM
you talking to me snow ??? well we had pebble's and bambam out last weekend ...and bambam gave her a run for on the nos and she was pissed but she forgot it was 175 shot and he was moving on..not bad for a motor that has very little done to it in 6 year's ..bye the way i was thinking about racing some this year just to mess with a few folk's

sdba069
05-06-2005, 05:15 AM
Hey David.......... I guess we'll have to start putting a little tune up in Pebbles. You guys are always welcome to come hang out with us at the races. Same goes to you, Kevin. We'll do whatever it takes. Did you find a helmet. The guy that drives our Top Sportsman car, the Cutlass, has a brand new helmet for sale, reasonable. I'll call him today and find out exactly how much. Below is John's reply to my email.
__________________________________________________ _____________
Gary they are required in Pro's and Sportsman on page 38. Page 39 describes brackets no pop off or ratchet is mention. We do not require them in brackets (10 SEC and slower) bottom line. Hope this helps.
John A. White
President
SDBA
713-944-4428 (wrk)
281-334-0824 (hm)
713-284-0758 (pager)
713-898-6613 (cell)

Liberator TJ1984
05-06-2005, 05:40 AM
Thanks Garry,
I had e-mailed SDBA on this and have not gotten a reply back...
but you have pretty much answered what I wanted to know :D
as far as how fast the boat will run I have no Idea :notam: it is running high 90's or better with 2# of boost SS A+ impeller @ 5700/5800
I just stepped it up to 12# Boost @ 6200/6300rpm+- and have only stabbed the throttle for short little bursts to check tune up , that is the reason I would like to run it on the course ,..just to get some hard #'s on what she will do ??
ps; where or how is the best way to tie in the Kill Switch on MSD7ML system :confused:

LewdAct
05-06-2005, 06:00 AM
Yo shark,,,, i will definately be at brady,, i hope to have all ,my issues worked out by then, i do have an extra RCI helmet size medium if any one is interested,, only used one season,, and has the holes already drilled for neck restraints,, will let it go cheeeeeep, see ya later shark ... Ken aka "cornbread"

blowngas
05-06-2005, 06:27 AM
ps; where or how is the best way to tie in the Kill Switch on MSD7ML system
place it on the hot wire from the ignition switch ahead of the box

Liberator TJ1984
05-06-2005, 06:29 AM
OH !!! NOW I SEE HOW YOU ARE....LEWD and SHREWED
Never say anything to ME about a Helmet for SALE ???
I guess your still mad at me for hangin'out with the "Real Drag Boat Racers" :cry:
JK.. :D :p ..If you don't sell it Ken , I will need one ....
outta be able to sneak away from work Sat.eve. if all goes well ,catch ya at Da Barn or Town
Gopher

blowngas
05-06-2005, 06:32 AM
"Real Drag Boat Racers"
Love it!!!!!!
see ya at the barn

jdf
05-06-2005, 06:47 AM
snow is so cool to watch her have fun in it thank you ...not to much tune in her then she will want to race and beat the boy's

LewdAct
05-06-2005, 06:56 AM
i'm sure if you want it chris,,, you will have it!!! :hammer2:

Liberator TJ1984
05-06-2005, 07:04 AM
Just Jackin' with ya Ken :D :coffeycup
I see you are hard at " Work " this mourning , just like BlownGas :p
Get the "bugs" figured out yet on Blackie ???
You gonna be around this weekend or you workin' ???
and yea I'm gonna need a Helmet and get my Lifeline back from Greg if he still has it , I would get the old one from Dustin, But I don't look good in Pink.... :redface:
What you got goin on with all that research you are doin' on Turbos' :confused: something up your sleeve :D

LewdAct
05-06-2005, 08:37 AM
i'll never tell,, chris!!!! :cool:

Liberator TJ1984
05-06-2005, 10:02 AM
If you don't let me in on your plans ....how can I keep an eye out for "parts" you might need :idea:
all these truck mechanics shops up here in S.A. gotta have a few layin' around we could borrow and Test with :idea: :D

Shark In The Pond
05-06-2005, 04:49 PM
We'll do whatever it takes. Did you find a helmet. The guy that drives our Top Sportsman car, the Cutlass, has a brand new helmet for sale, reasonable. I'll call him today and find out exactly how much.
Garry I just ordered a helmet last night but thanks !
I guess your still mad at me for hangin'out with the "Real Drag Boat Racers
Too funny ,thanks Cornbread and Lib TJ looks like the helmet is available ?

Liberator TJ1984
05-06-2005, 05:01 PM
We'll do whatever it takes. Did you find a helmet. The guy that drives our Top Sportsman car, the Cutlass, has a brand new helmet for sale, reasonable. I'll call him today and find out exactly how much.
Garry I just ordered a helmet last night but thanks !
I guess your still mad at me for hangin'out with the "Real Drag Boat Racers
Too funny ,thanks Cornbread and Lib TJ looks like the helmet is available ?
Shark,
CBread don't wanna help me , cause he knows I'll put him on the trailer right quick :devil: :p

Shark In The Pond
05-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Shark,
CBread don't wanna help me , cause he knows I'll put him on the trailer right quick :devil: :p
Cbread hook a bruther up bud ! You still get to run all day Sat. :D

sdba069
05-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Hey David... That alternator is under warranty. Call Kenneth at 817-641-2905. Tell him it's the one I recently got the diode for.

PGF545
05-12-2005, 06:55 PM
I am not sure yet if I am going or not, but the boat that I am helping out with will be there. It is a Pro Gas Flat #367 called Nasty Habit. It is the one that John White drove in Waco. I hope we can get the stumble problem figured out before then...lol. I have a whole bag of tricks that I am going to throw at it this weekend. Good luck to you guys in Brady and if I make it i will look you guys up.
Libertor, did you buy that bell housing from some flat bottom guys??? Because we sold the one that was in our old boat, maybe that was you???lol.
Bernie

sdba069
05-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey Bernie..... I'll bet that was a lean stumble at Waco because the air was so good. Just showing up at Brady should take care of that. We've never had very good air there.

PGF545
05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
Gary, Thats what I was thinking too, but we went richer on Sunday and that didn't help either. After talking to the guy that owned the boat before, he said that it always had a stumble and he just eased on it....that doesn't make any sense to me. I have always be able to flat foot it and go like crazy. I am going to put the carbs off our boat on there and try that first bafore I go crazy making too many changes. The exhaust temps were low at idle too so that makes me think the thing was too rich at idle????
Bernie

sdba069
05-12-2005, 07:20 PM
There are lots of possibilites. Usually, you almost can't get one too rich to create a stumble without creating all kinds of other problems. It sounds almost like squirters or pump cams, from what the previous owner told you. Does it have zoomies or headers? Seen similar problems with zoomies where the carbs had a weak signal at the boosters. Slow timing has also been a culprit. Oh well, my .02. Hope you guys make it to Brady. See you there.....

PGF545
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Gary, it has headers. My next move is going to put the 7AL3 box on it and add some timing and then retard it down track a little. I just don't want to make too many changes at a time. When we got it the motor was all together and fresh off the dyno so we stuck it in there without changing anything. Now we need to get it setup for Texas as opposed to Calif. The air is a bunch different and I am going to pull out the log book and see where we were at with our stuff and then go from there. I know the motors are not the same, but it should give me a starting point. I think the air bleeds are wrong, it may need some different ones in the idle and mid range circuits. I am sure that I can figure it out...lol. I am stuborn and will not give up :messedup: .
Bernie

sdba069
05-13-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey Bernie.......... The air bleeds are certainly a possibility. Timing another. Were you talking about a Digital 7 box? I've dynoed lots of jet boat motors and without a doubt, the max tune-up on the dyno won't be right in the real world. Without exception, in my experience, the motor will be lean and want more timing in the boat. I haven't dynoed any of our v-drive stuff and then compared optimum tune-ups. I know that the v-drive stuff works a whole lot like the car motors on the dyno. The tune-ups seem to be similar. I guess it's because of similar RPM ramps, as compared to a jet boat, where you are at idle and when you hammer it you go to full RPM instantly and in a perfect world, stays there till the end of the run.

sdba069
05-13-2005, 08:25 PM
One other thing......... Is it a Pontiac headed deal??????????

Liberator TJ1984
05-17-2005, 04:58 AM
Yea, Bernie !!!
That would be me , I guess :) thanks for the hookup on the bellhousing :wink:

LewdAct
05-17-2005, 03:22 PM
hey chris,, you know you have to pull the motor on that trailer bitch to install that bell housing ,, dont you!!!!! ;)

Liberator TJ1984
05-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Why yes I do :p
But; I don't think IHBA is going to let me slide by :( on the rules
called today and for ANY "Blown Application" from what they are telling me I must ALSO have.....
Fuel Shutoff valve mounted within reach of driver...
Blower Restraints Must be certified.....
Jacket Certified, & Cert. Helmet w/restraints...
Ratchet or Pop-Off is STRONGLY Recommended (depends on what mood they are in that day I guess)....
A Neutral device that can be activated "at will" ????..
Ballistic Shorts depending on ET & MPH.....
Throttle Stop on Carb Linkage....
I called Fagen but he was out , will try him again tomorrow and get the skinny on what is really a must to have....
his assistant said since running a blower , I must meet all the credentials set forth for a Blown application NO Matter what class I try and run in....I tried the rule book and it states pretty much the same thing ???
Ya think Brian will let me drop my motor in his Hydro ??? :idea: :p

sdba069
05-17-2005, 08:09 PM
You might want to try to get in touch with Ken Dollar about the fuel shut-off. Anything is possible, but I've been doing this a long time and I've never heard of any carbed engine requiring a fuel shut-off. I don't have one in either of our 8 second blown alky Placecraft's and SDBA and IHBA has never said a word about it. I don't believe blower restraints are required in any blown gas category either. Maybe I'm wrong, but it sounds like who ever you talked to has no idea. Never heard of anyone using a neutral device that can be engaged whenever either. According to how fast you run, assuming you are running in the Lake Racer classes, a lot of the things you mentioned are not required. I asked before, but don't remember if you told me,but, any idea what your boat runs, E.T. or MPH. If you have good reliable MPH data(GOOD RELIABLE) I can possibly give you some idea what to expect E.T. wise. I hope you don't have the same symptoms that every Liberator owner who ever comes down to this river has. For some reason, they all believe, at least around here, that a box stock 365 horse 454 in a 650 pound 19' Liberator will run 100+ MPH. Used to couldn't wait every weekend to pounce on one of them and embarass them with a tried and true 88 MPH TX-19, as per SDBA clocks. Not saying that about you, but that is what I'm used to here. Guess it's because we are so close to Liberator's manufacturing facility. I don't mind trying to help you out or get some answers for you if you want. My direct email is snowman069@hotmail.com or my business number is 254-889-3336.

jdf
05-18-2005, 09:50 AM
how true snow bye theway you know our little tx-19 has shut up alot of folk's { bambam} and he is a stock deal

Liberator TJ1984
05-18-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks Garry,
according to the rule book , it seems they have a " Blanket " of sort on the requirements.... i.e. asked what class I might run in, I answered SE , asked in what...I said Blown Gas Jet SE class , they replied ..requirements are listed in Tech specs page II-2 ,DAMN ??? same as Top Fuel guys ???
everything I asked about referenced back to the tech pages, They do not break things out per class... just stated " theres the rules " :rolleyes:
as far as MPH , yes i will go out on limb and say right at 100mph ???
ran against one boat that had GPS'ed at 92mph and pulled away from him with a passenger in my boat several times ...this was with 2# boost
I just bumped up boost to 12# and still tuning on carbs .... spinning approx 6200+ rpm on SS A+ impeller...so a good guess you ask ??? high 90's for sure ??? if I get a chance I will try and get GPS on her :confused:
Gopher

underdog
05-18-2005, 12:32 PM
well gopher i guess you cant run that shit box

Liberator TJ1984
05-18-2005, 12:47 PM
It's OK....gives me another reason to keep her on the Trailer :p

Liberator TJ1984
05-18-2005, 01:17 PM
well gopher i guess you cant run that shit box
:p :p :p :p :p :D
I just got off the Phone with Mike Isham ( Tech .Inspector )
He told me to Bring the " Shit Box " to the Water :D

Shark In The Pond
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
:p :p :p :p :p :D
I just got off the Phone with Mike Isham ( Tech .Inspector )
He told me to Bring the " Shit Box " to the Water :D
When and where are you gonna race ? :crossx:

Liberator TJ1984
05-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Shark , gonna try and hit The Big Party :D Marble Falls
Gotta work the rest of the races and actualy gotta take Vac.to make that one
Just wanna hit the water and see what it will run :idea: ain't really that interested in winning anything , more to just say been there, done it and had fun , plus have time slips to show what the ol' shitbox will turn :boxingguy
(she will be in full trim , sterio,amps,seats,dual fuel tanks.... etc....no stripdown )
Gopher

Shark In The Pond
05-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Shark , gonna try and hit The Big Party :D Marble Falls
Gotta work the rest of the races and actualy gotta take Vac.to make that one
Just wanna hit the water and see what it will run :idea: ain't really that interested in winning anything , more to just say been there, done it and had fun , plus have time slips to show what the ol' shitbox will turn :boxingguy
(she will be in full trim , sterio,amps,seats,dual fuel tanks.... etc....no stripdown )
Gopher
Well that was my plans also BUT :idea: I'm sure that I will be looking for a hull this winter to build a little something :rollside: You know what they say faster faster until the fear of death over takes the thrill of speed :skull:

sdba069
05-18-2005, 08:19 PM
Hey Lib.......... A true 100 MPH jet should run mid to high 10's. The big impeller will probably hurt you a little in the quarter mile as far as E.T. We've learned over the years that while that big impeller sounds good on paper, it usually hurts the 1/4 mile performnace. Our black Placecraft runs an "A" impeller with about 1350 HP. It will run in the 7.70 range at about 140. We turn it 7500-7600 RPM.The "AA" slowed it down over half a second. You can ask Jim Mann, who runs the Black Magic Cheyenne, he'll tell you the same thing. An "AB" or even a "B" might be a good choice for the quarter mile. maybe run in the Modified Eliminator(10 second) class. In my Mirage jet, I ran a "D" cut Aggressor mag bronze at 7100 RPM and ran low 9.20's at 112-114. That was 476 cubic inches with 1 carb on gasoline, no nitrous. We started with a "B" running 9.50 and by the time we got done cutting it a little at a time and testing, it was at a custom "D" cut. Not recommended for a blower/nitrous application. the best pass we ever made with that combo was 9.15 at 115, awesome air. these smaller cuts really work well with the use of a preloader/inducer and full open hardware. you should consider making the Brady race. It's a very racer friendly place to race. While Marble Falls is a pretty cool place to race, it is not very racer friendly. The pits are like a zillion miles away from the water, you can't see squat from the pits, plus I personally don't like dealing with IHBA politics. I ran in the very first race at Marble Falls in the 10 second class in my old Cheyenne. Well, that's enough for me. Let me know if I can help.

Liberator TJ1984
05-19-2005, 04:32 AM
Garry , I'll give you a ring here a little later :idea:
Thanks

taylormanss
05-19-2005, 04:48 AM
Good luck to all you guys going to Brady .Wish we could be there but I got to work on these Honda Four strokes for the USCG that weekend. :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2: :hammer2:

blowngas
05-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Just wanna hit the water and see what it will run ain't really that interested in winning anything , more to just say been there, done it and had fun , plus have time slips
enter it as a River Racer---we got you covered with jacket and helmet---run it like you stole it first and get a time slip ----then slow it down if you want----you can always step up and declare class at the end of qualifying if you want to or see how good a driver you are and do a little "baggin"---I have a current IHBA rule book---let me reread the bullsh*t about the blower restraints--push come to shove, I think you can take it off and run----most of that applys to the boats in the pro classes----if you talked with Mike and he said bring it, then you shouldn't have a problem----get with me the next time you come down

PGF545
06-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Anybody heading to Brady this weekend stop by and say hi. Nasty Habit PGF. Hopefully I got the stumble fixed, ask me after 1st round on Sat and I will let you know.
Bernie

sdba069
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Good luck Bernie, see ya there.

ekimzark
06-05-2005, 09:57 PM
After a good clean day of racing Brady pictures are online @ www.mikeloesch.com scroll down to the big word NEW! flashing or click on dragboat pictures.