PDA

View Full Version : Obesity in America

Boozer
05-04-2005, 08:56 AM
Last weekend I read an article on Obesity in America the main focus was child obesity and the things I read rasied some real concerns for me. In the article they talked about a Rialto boy who now weighs in at over 500 pounds. The boy is 5'9 and 15 years old.
Americans seem to like to put the blame on others for their problems. Most people blame places like MCDonalds and other fast food chains for not offering enough healthy foods on their menu. I also hear people blame video games, schools, and parents for the problem. So who really is to blame here?
Since I have gone from being a child to an adult which at age 24 was not all the long ago I have seen some real changes in how children do things. I can remember as a kid being outside all the time building bike jumps, riding bikes everywhere we went and playing sports in the street. Video games were around and we played them but our parents limited the amount of time we were allowed to play video games in favor us doing things like riding bikes and playing sports.
Today I look on the streets and see very few children outside playing anymore. About 60% of the kids who live in my neighborhood now are fat not just chubby but fat. They come out of their houses for about 30 minutes on Saturday to mow the lawn and then they are back inside playing video games and eating pizza. The people 2 houses down from me seem to have the pizza man at their house about 4 nights a week.
This is a real concern for me. I was reading somewhere that within 20 years 1 in 12 adolescent children will develop type 2 diabetes. If a child develops Type Diabetes before age 15 it will shave aproxamately 20-35 years off of their life span. So why do parents allow it to happen?
In the last 2 years my grandmother, best friends grandmother (who has been nothing less then a grandmother to me), and another close friend have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. They now have to take tons of meds everyday just so they can feel somewhat normal.
When my grandmother was diagnosed it was a real eye opener for me and made me look at how I was eating and made me realize the effects of how I was eating and living could really mess me up. On January 1st I wrote off beer and most junk food. I drink a beer from time to time but not very often and when I do it is one or two beers. Since January I went from 250 lbs to 220 lbs and I'm still losing weight. My goal is 195 lbs by January of 06 and I think if I stick to it I can achieve that goal. I don't have a lot of will power but have managed to do it so why is it a problem for so many other people?
What do you guys think we should do as a nation to stop obesity?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-04-2005, 09:07 AM
As a nation, I'm not sure what we can do. It's very hard to legislate common sense although the politicians always attempt to do so.
I agree with your assessment. I'm a little older than you but it was the same when I was a kid. We were told to go outside because it was too nice of a day to stay indoors. We played football or stick-ball in the street. Rode our bikes all over town. That does not happen any longer. Why? I don't really know. Some of it is due to everyone always being on the go. Precious spare time for adults to share and spend with their kids. I also think some people are skepitcal of letting their kids ride all over town on their bikes for fear that something bad will happen to them.
There are many causes and probably just as many solutions. But I'm overweight, as those of you have met me can attest to, but it aint someone elses fault, it's all my fault. I got myself in this predicament, but now I've got to get myself out of it. I need to pick myself up by my bootstraps and do what needs to be done. Too many people now take no responsibility for their actions and that can attributed to alomost any activity.

cdog
05-04-2005, 09:11 AM
We're turning into a nation of fat lazy pussies. Parents are working to pay for all of the over priced crap while kids sit around and eat all the microwave burritos from costco. Meanwhile since pedifiles are rampent everywhere these days parents don't want their kids running around the streets. There are some fundimental things that are wrong these days. TV is always trying to brainwash you into buying things (to make your life more complete). While your out chasing a 50k car or a 800k trophy house your neglecting the things in life that really matter YOUR KIDS! Imagine what that's doing to the kids. I've done my part in the neighborhood. I built the kids a ramp so they can do tricks with their razors and skate boards. I hope I don't get sue'd when and if someone gets hurt. The sad part is that I actually have to think about that. And when they sell their homes they'll use some jerk who give out free note pads. Whata gonna do? :eek:

Jbb
05-04-2005, 09:16 AM
computers video games and such have todays kids indoors way more than my generation did.....also we as a generation are spending more time working and less time vacationing with the family than generations passed.
Think of what it is going to cost the taxpayers when all thses fat kids become of age that Mom And Dads insurance no longer covers them....18-21...and their all but guaranteed health side effects kick in...who is gonna pay the tab for Jr's quadruple bypass surgery...?
Its all RD's fault anyway.....look at the example he sets...cheeseburgers for breakfast and whatnot..... :rollside:

cole13
05-04-2005, 09:19 AM
One of the problems with letting your kids play outside is that they supposedly aren't safe. My kids are almost 6 and 3 and I feel like I can't let them play outside without having CPS at my door. I work at home and I spend a lot of time in the garage with the door open to the street. My kids used to play outside in the front yard and driveway until one of my neighbors called CPS on me about my kids being outside unattended. I guess they had no idea that I was in the garage all day, literally 20' away from them. I'm not into taking that chance again, sitting through that BS CPS interview for an hour with two deputies in my house was all I could stand. My kids stay in the house unless everybody can see that I'm out there, in plain sight.
I am sorry but what is CPS. (Cops???) The reason I am interested in the thread is because my wife and I are having twins in July.
When I was growing up we were not alound to play in the house it always had to be outside. The inside of the house was for family time, talking reading, homework and the such. I really feel that the reason most of the children play inside is because they have seen thier parents playing on the computer, watching T.V., I feel, just from what I have read is that everything a child does is a learned behavior. Obviously other then breathing seeing you get the idea. But the fact is that if your children see you watching TV they think that is what they are supposed to do. Or if you have Mc Donalds then that is what they eat. There are outside influences no doubt, but if you teach your children the goods and bads about nutrition then they can hopefully grow up and make the right decision.
The only real fix to the problem of obesity is education. For example, I did not know until after watching "Super Size Me" that there was that much sugar in white bread and diet soda. I immediatly stopped eating white bread and drinking soda.
Another problem that I see from teachers that I know, is that children are not getting ample recess time. The U.S. is so far behind in book education that this is where most schools feel they need to improve. Elementary through High Schools are eliminating sports teams every year.
Finally like I said above, the problem HAS TO BE SOLVED AT HOME FIRST. We can not rely on schools to do it.
Just my opinion!!!

cdog
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Everyone is some jerk to someone. :squiggle:
Not exactly sure what you mean by that????????

Cole
05-04-2005, 09:22 AM
I dont know about you guys but are girls getting
................fatter!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 09:24 AM
My kids are almost 6 and 3 and I feel like I can't let them play outside without having CPS at my door.
This is the most fuked up thing I've ever read. Are you being serious? The kids can't go to the corner store? What kind if lifestyle is that? That's house arrest, not childhood.

NOTALENT
05-04-2005, 09:27 AM
I dont know about you guys but are girls getting
................fatter!!!!!!!!!!! :crossx:
only in the booty...only in the booty..oh well those 6 pound boobs too..and 2 pounds of make up... :D

Jbb
05-04-2005, 09:29 AM
This is the most fuked up thing I've ever read. Are you being serious? The kids can't go to the corner store? What kind if lifestyle is that? That's house arrest, not childhood.
Shut up Brown!...and go back to your room..... :sqeyes:

mud duck
05-04-2005, 09:31 AM
I believe part of the whole issue is to not have eating such a social event. My Mom currently battles with boarder line type 2 diabetes. She is 80 now and has medicine to take and must also watch her diet daily. But for her eating is, and always has been, a social event everyone must participate in every day. She loves to make big meals and have company over almost every day. I also have a sister that is currently slightly over weight and I think she is headed for the same life as my mother has in a few decades. I think you have to push the big meals away, get out side and instill good exercise habits in yourself & your kids. Only eat if you are hungry! Don't eat just because the clock says it is time to eat. On the way to work everyday I see people in their cars, or waiting for the bus that are over weight. Put the food down, miss a meal every other day, stay away from the frig & chips, and stop making food such a social event. Okay, take the soap box away, I am done.

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Its all RD's fault anyway.....look at the example he sets...cheeseburgers for breakfast and whatnot..... :rollside:
The breakfast burrito. :D
... and for dinner... a 12oz tri-tip with a close encounters sized plate of potatoes on the side.
What needs to be done, IMO, is to try to take care of ourselves. Share the experience, since it's always a positive thing when we do things that make us feel better, with the people you care about. Also, encourage and help people when they try to help themselves.
The only way to fix a population, as best I know, is one person at a time.
Good for you, Boozer. :cool:

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Shut up Brown!...and go back to your room..... :sqeyes:
Sure... I'll be happy to. :)
It's all about exercise.... and my cock is in the best shape of it's life.

Jbb
05-04-2005, 09:39 AM
The breakfast burrito. :D
... and for dinner... a 12oz tri-tip with a close encounters sized plate of potatoes on the side.
What needs to be done, IMO, is to try to take care of ourselves. Share the experience, since it's always a positive thing when we do things that make us feel better, with the people you care about. Also, encourage and help people when they try to help themselves.
The only way to fix a population, as best I know, is one person at a time.
Good for you, Boozer. :cool:
Look at Brown ...Being all ...Richard Simmons ...and shit.. :eek:

Nord
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
Kids don't even walk anymore, they have wheelies underneath their shoes!

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 09:44 AM
computers video games and such have todays kids indoors way more than my generation did.....also we as a generation are spending more time working and less time vacationing with the family than generations passed.
Think of what it is going to cost the taxpayers when all thses fat kids become of age that Mom And Dads insurance no longer covers them....18-21...and their all but guaranteed health side effects kick in...who is gonna pay the tab for Jr's quadruple bypass surgery...?
Its all RD's fault anyway.....look at the example he sets...cheeseburgers for breakfast and whatnot..... :rollside: SERIOUSLY THOUGH. There are soooooo many parents out there that let there kids eat and eat or when they are still bottle feeding....As soon as the baby makes a peep they get the bottle. When I was little (i know I know not long ago) we played outside Every damn day when we got out of school. We roller bladed, Biked, Dirtbike rode, Tree climbed, etc. I can't say that's why I am so skinny now, but it could play a part. I weigh 130lbs and I am 6ft tall. I do work out and it is not hard to do. I actually wish I weighed more, but I don't and I can't. LAZY PEOPLE GET FAT. And LAZY parents make lazy kids.

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 09:59 AM
I weigh 130lbs and I am 6ft tall.
Thank god for Amazon women. They cause me to breathe oddly.
I do work out and it is not hard to do.
Working out is the best part of my day. It's one of the most self indulgent things you can do, IMO. People who don't like to work out are typically people who've never had a regular program and don't know what it's about. I leave the gym totally focused and relaxed. It's an amazing feeling.
How about some pics?

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 10:27 AM
Thank god for Amazon women. They cause me to breathe oddly.
Working out is the best part of my day. It's one of the most self indulgent things you can do, IMO. People who don't like to work out are typically people who've never had a regular program and don't know what it's about. I leave the gym totally focused and relaxed. It's an amazing feeling.
How about some pics?
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2546new_image4.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2546chrissy_boat_1_1_-med.BMP
I'd Say I am fit, but maybe alittle on the too skinny side.

Jbb
05-04-2005, 10:29 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2546new_image4.JPG
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2546chrissy_boat_1_1_-med.BMP
Hey Now!!!!......Brown will be back in 10 min. or so.... :cool:

JBmagic
05-04-2005, 10:35 AM
No obesity there. Not one bit. None that I can see. Nada. Nothing. :eek:

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
No obesity there. Not one bit. None that I can see. Nada. Nothing. :eek:LMAO.. I am on a see food diet.LOL..I eat alot beleive it or not. That's why I work out...that and so I don't have to drink light beer. BUDWEISER baby!!

HCS
05-04-2005, 11:03 AM
There's this big fat kid that rides his bike around my neighborhood picking on all the other kids.
He yells at other kids threatening to kick their asses, I saw
him the other day calling these two little girls out.
He was screaming you (f)ucking bitches I'll beat your bleep and bleep asses.
He didn't know I was watching.
Now this fat little (f)uck needs his nuts kicked clean up to his eyeballs.
God damn fat little (f)ucking punk. :mad:
I blame it all on the parents. Problem is, is that their parents don't give a shit.
They live on food stamps and do nothing but eat. So their kids are a product of them.
One other big problem is that their making it so fast food chains can except food stamps.
Now there's a solution. Here's some food stamps kid go get yourself a cheese burger and fries. I'm to lazy to go to the store and cook dinner.

Krazy K
05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
When summer came around, you would always find me at the community pool. I practically lived there. And I rode my bike there!! I rode my bike all over the place! I just read somewhere of this person who spends, i shit you not, 30 HOURS A WEEK PLAYING The Matrix Online! No wonder kids are getting fatter and fatter. Look at the influx of the Internet and Video Games.
I spend enough time on my computer. I'd like to get an XBOX, but then I'd spend more time on my already huge ass! And yes, I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 1 1/2 years ago!

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 11:04 AM
I would guess that genetics play a large part too. ;) Yes it does. My dad is 6'2" and skinny and my mom is 5'4" and not very skinny.

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 11:24 AM
There's this big fat kid that rides his bike around my neighborhood picking on all the other kids.
He yells at other kids threatening to kick their asses, I saw
him the other day calling these two little girls out.
He was screaming you (f)ucking bitches I'll beat your bleep and bleep asses.
He didn't know I was watching.
Now this fat little (f)uck needs his nuts kicked clean up to his eyeballs.
God damn fat little (f)ucking punk. :mad:
I blame it all on the parents. Problem is, is that their parents don't give a shit.
They live on food stamps and do nothing but eat. So their kids are a product of them.
One other big problem is that their making it so fast food chains can except food stamps.
Now there's a solution. Here's some food stamps kid go get yourself a cheese burger and fries. I'm to lazy to go to the store and cook dinner. I hear ya. That sh*t pisses me off! I blame the parents too. He woudn't bully so much if his parents gave him some self esteem, attention and a beating. I didn't know that they take food stamps now. I thought it was bad enough about the credit cards and ATM. Although ATM does come in handy.

cruser
05-04-2005, 11:33 AM
How many hours a day do we spend looking at this site? (When it's up that is!)
I am type 2 diabetic myself. However, when I diagnosed with Diabetes, my doctor told me that they redifined the cutoff point for when you are considered diabetic. He said the acceptibleblood sugar levels used to be 130-135 or so but they dropped that to 120. My blood sugar levels were 125-130 so I was diabetic. The doctor also told me that he had attended a convention that weekend where the proposal was to lower the acceptible blood sugar levels to 95-100. My target sugar level is 90-100, which I usually maintain. After being diagnosed, I attended some classes where a dietician helped my wife and I figure out what we should and shouldn't eat. The materials presented still had the old cut off points for acceptable blood sugar levels.
I am not saying that the acceptible sugar levels didn't need to be adjusted, but no wonder the number of people considered Diabetic is on the rise.

HCS
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
I hear ya. That sh*t pisses me off! I blame the parents too. He woudn't bully so much if his parents gave him some self esteem, attention and a beating. I didn't know that they take food stamps now. I thought it was bad enough about the credit cards and ATM. Although ATM does come in handy.
It just erks me when I see people shopping at the local liquor store with their food stamps.
Not to pick on people that aren't so fortunate.
But I saw the lady with a couple of kids one time with handfulls of chips, cookies, sodas and all kinds of other junk food that was in the store.
I thought to myself, what the hell is she doing?
Then when she gets to the register she pays for everything with food stamps.
Her tab was over 80 bucks. I thought what the hell?
Wonder why kids are fat. Sheesh.

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 11:46 AM
It just erks me when I see people shopping at the local liquor store with their food stamps.
Not to pick on people that aren't so fortunate.
But I saw the lady with a couple of kids one time with handfulls of chips, cookies, sodas and all kinds of other junk food that was in the store.
I thought to myself, what the hell is she doing?
Then when she gets to the register she pays for everything with food stamps.
Her tab was over 80 bucks. I thought what the hell?
Wonder why kids are fat. Sheesh. I KNOW! I've seen that a couple of times. We weren't a rich family when I was a kid, but we got what we needed and we never had food stamps. If you have kids..prepare for them. They come first. BTW I don't have any because I am selfish.lol

WYRD
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
We're turning into a nation of fat lazy pussies. :eek:
Before you know it we will all be Canadian :devil: :D :D

HCS
05-04-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey, at least he's out riding his bike.
Until someone knocks him off with a baseball bat. :lightsabe

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 12:00 PM
You look totally fit and absolutely beautiful. :)
He woudn't bully so much if his parents gave him some self esteem, attention and a beating.
... and I thought your picture was sexy. http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/eh.gif
I came just then.
I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 1 1/2 years ago!
I'm sorry to hear that. Please take care of yourself. I'd like to meet you one day.

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 12:08 PM
You look totally fit and absolutely beautiful. :)
... and I thought your picture was sexy. http://www.carlsonspeed.com/~tombrown/QuickLink/eh.gif
Thank you...I think. lol
I came just then.
JBB said you would.LMAO!!!

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Before you know it we will all be Canadian :devil: :D :D
It looks like you could use the health care.

WYRD
05-04-2005, 12:13 PM
It looks like you could use the health care.
Among other things :shift: :cool:

Mrs.charitycase
05-04-2005, 12:18 PM
It looks like you could use the health care.WhosYoRiverDaddy works out.... his left hand that is...see his avatar?..now squeeze 2,3,4, squeeze 5,6,7,8.LOL

AzMandella
05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
I would guess that genetics play a large part too. ;)
Finally someone hit the nail on the head.Genetics is one of the major reasons for overweight people.You can put two people side by side and feed them both McDonalds every day and one will get fat while the other doesn't.I just can't believe what this country is coming to as far as wanting to blame everyone else for our problems.The fact that someone can sue McDonalds because they decided to eat breakfast,lunch,and dinner there is ludicrist.What's next,suing Denny's,or the other greasyspoons around the country.Or how about suing the bacon,butter,and chocolate companies.C'mon give me a break.If you want to eat like a pig then accept the fact that you may become one.

WYRD
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
WhosYoRiverDaddy works out.... his left hand that is...see his avatar?..now squeeze 2,3,4, squeeze 5,6,7,8.LOL
All in a days work :D :D :D
WYRD

Jbb
05-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Tom Brown eats out of a trough...... :D

Tom Brown
05-04-2005, 12:33 PM
I like to trough up a bran and cheese smoothy, fresh out of my juice man juicer. :cool:
It's part of my training program.

roostwear
05-04-2005, 12:49 PM
All this comes down to one thing.... being a parent. Not your child's friend, not being afraid they'll "hate" you. NEWS FLASH----- they don't NEED a parent as a friend, and at some point no matter how "nice" you've been, they WILL hate you. They have to be told NO at the appropriate times. They HAVE to have distinct boundaries, and if YOU don't have the balls to teach them, who will? Being a parent is THE hardest job there is if you do it right. I guess most people figure that if they listen to the "experts" the children will be just fine. Well take a look back in recent history. Each generation that has been increasingly more "sensitive" has screwed up the generation they're parenting! "But Dr. Spock said..." Use common sense people. It seems people use more sense training a dog than raising their children.
Kick their butts outside to play. It IS too nice a day to have their butts planted inside. Don't teach your children to be afraid by the example you set. Teach them that they WILL cut themselves, and they will bleed. Take a chance and let them ride around the block. Don't fill them with your fear to avoid dealing with their growing pains.
Sorry, end of rant.....

HCS
05-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Finally someone hit the nail on the head.Genetics is one of the major reasons for overweight people.You can put two people side by side and feed them both McDonalds every day and one will get fat while the other doesn't.I just can't believe what this country is coming to as far as wanting to blame everyone else for our problems.The fact that someone can sue McDonalds because they decided to eat breakfast,lunch,and dinner there is ludicrist.What's next,suing Denny's,or the other greasyspoons around the country.Or how about suing the bacon,butter,and chocolate companies.C'mon give me a break.If you want to eat like a pig then accept the fact that you may become one.
My wifes whole family weighs 200 plus pounds each. Except for her, she's the slim one. She must be the mail man baby. :idea:
You ought see the way those people eat. Their closets are full of nothing but food.
They just lay around and eat. Their kids are the same way. :sqeyes:

Mrs.charitycase
05-05-2005, 02:17 PM
My wifes whole family weighs 200 plus pounds each. Except for her, she's the slim one. She must be the mail man baby. :idea:
You ought see the way those people eat. Their closets are full of nothing but food.
They just lay around and eat. Their kids are the same way. :sqeyes:
Laziness+food=FAT AZZ! :supp:

WYRD
05-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Laziness+Booze=Good River Trip :crossx:

Tom Brown
05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
I can't imagine anyone anyone not losing weight and feeling better by eating right and exercising. Even JBB wouldn't have to be such a fat ass if he would cut back on the rendered pig fat and diet sprites.

Mrs.charitycase
05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I can't imagine anyone anyone not losing weight and feeling better by eating right and exercising. Even JBB wouldn't have to be such a fat ass if he would cut back on the rendered pig fat and diet sprites.Fatty

Jbb
05-05-2005, 02:59 PM
I can't imagine anyone anyone not losing weight and feeling better by eating right and exercising. Even JBB wouldn't have to be such a fat ass if he would cut back on the rendered pig fat and diet sprites.
getting kinda personal ....bran boy..... :cool:...oink.... :)