PDA

View Full Version : Lake powel Questions

cdog
05-06-2005, 08:43 AM
So it looks like the weather sucks up there for the next week. Isolated thunderstorms and 20-40% rain. I did a mapquest and it gives me directions to go through vegas to zion national park. Is it better to go through 15 to the 40 to flagstaff then to the 89 to page? We're launching out of waheap.

MsDrmr
05-06-2005, 08:45 AM
the thunder/lightening storms are the best....they are so beautiful to watch.

Parker
05-06-2005, 08:47 AM
I heard gas on the lake was around 6.00 per gallon :eek: is this true??

phebus
05-06-2005, 08:48 AM
It is better to go the Vegas way. The trip the 40 way is a long uphill haul. Don't go through Zion though, get off before Zion (I forgot the off ramp).

cdog
05-06-2005, 08:51 AM
It is better to go the Vegas way. The trip the 40 way is a long uphill haul. Don't go through Zion though, get off before Zion (I forgot the off ramp).
Its 54 more miles to go the 40 route. Does anyone know the before zion?

tamalewagon
05-06-2005, 08:54 AM
It's a huge lake so the weather reports are a little misleading. You should PM Titties and Beer...not many know the lake like he does. :D

dirty old man
05-06-2005, 08:57 AM
Go thru Mesquite, turn right just past St George, then look for the right hand turn in Hurricane. Be careful, the sign is small and a tree is close by. If you miss the turn off in Hurricane you WILL go thru Zion.

phebus
05-06-2005, 09:00 AM
Its 54 more miles to go the 40 route. Does anyone know the before zion?
Our typical way to go (before the boat was in Havasu) was to go the 15 and spend the night in Mesquite, and then get up early the next morning, and head to the lake. If you go through Zion, there is a tunnel, with size restrictions, so a boat is not good to tow through there. I will look up the exit we take, and let you know if someone doesn't post it first. Don't go the 40 way. It is a longer haul, mostly uphill, and eats up more gas. It is a good way to come home though. Come home that way, and overnight at Havasu and add another day of boating to your trip.

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:01 AM
So it looks like the weather sucks up there for the next week. Isolated thunderstorms and 20-40% rain. I did a mapquest and it gives me directions to go through vegas to zion national park. Is it better to go through 15 to the 40 to flagstaff then to the 89 to page? We're launching out of waheap.
Vegas to St George to Hurricane... Zion would take you a bit longer.. to Colorado City to Fredonia to Kanab to Page.

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:02 AM
I heard gas on the lake was around 6.00 per gallon :eek: is this true??
Gas prices on the lake at wahweap $2.99

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:04 AM
It's a huge lake so the weather reports are a little misleading. You should PM Titties and Beer...not many know the lake like he does. :D
The clouds come over.. and there are area's of sunshine and areas of rain.. nothing like a rainstorm when you are beached.. and watching the waterfalls coming off the cliffs! :)

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:07 AM
Vegas to St George to Hurricane... Zion would take you a bit longer.. to Colorado City to Fredonia to Kanab to Page.
Hurricane is a city?

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:09 AM
Gas prices on the lake at wahweap $2.99
I was planning on filling up in Page. Is that a good idea? I've got a 110 gallon tank.

phebus
05-06-2005, 09:14 AM
I was planning on filling up in Page. Is that a good idea? I've got a 110 gallon tank.
Definately fill up before going on the lake. Definately cheaper. I was paying $3.00 a gallon on the lake last year, it's hard to believe it's only $2.99 a gallon now. I was spending over $120.- a day last year on fuel.

dirty old man
05-06-2005, 09:19 AM
Be careful when going thru Colorado City, AZ, all the girls 12 years and older are married to old men and have kids of their own

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Be careful when going thru Colorado City, AZ, all the girls 12 years and older are married to old men and have kids of their own
I've got my own ball and chain... :D

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:26 AM
Mapquest says 15 to Exit 16 UT-9 toward hurricane then merge onto UT-9 to hurricane to slight right onto UT-9/W 500 St. N to follow UT-9 turn right onto US89/S to left onto E300 S/300 St S/US-89 then Left onto US-89 Loop.
Sound confusing??????

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:31 AM
Regular in town @circle K is 2.31 Maverick on 89 for reg is 2.32 Maverick in town is 2.31.

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Mapquest says 15 to Exit 16 UT-9 toward hurricane then merge onto UT-9 to hurricane to slight right onto UT-9/W 500 St. N to follow UT-9 turn right onto US89/S to left onto E300 S/300 St S/US-89 then Left onto US-89 Loop.
Sound confusing??????
LOL.. DON'T look at the map!.. I am one of those drivers that look for the WORD signs.. like Hurricane... Fredonia... Kanab.. etc.. I could draw you a small map that can get you here... and DON'T stop in Colorado City.. they don't take to well to us Normal peeps... lol

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Definately fill up before going on the lake. Definately cheaper. I was paying $3.00 a gallon on the lake last year, it's hard to believe it's only $2.99 a gallon now. I was spending over $120.- a day last year on fuel.
Yah.. I just checked with the lady downstairs who does the gas prices for the lake.. and she said $2.99 for wahweap.. stateline was higher in the $3.00 range.

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Hurricane is a city?
oh.. and if you stop there to get a bite to eat.. it is pronounced Herakun... :D

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:46 AM
It looks like we will stop in Mesquite get some shut eye and then head out in the morining. From there we will drive straight thru to page, get gas and then to waheap. Is that a good route or plan? Or is there a town before page that's better to fill up in? Where do I turn to stay out of Zion Park?

INSman
05-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Go thru Mesquite, turn right just past St George, then look for the right hand turn in Hurricane. Be careful, the sign is small and a tree is close by. If you miss the turn off in Hurricane you WILL go thru Zion.
THIS IS IT EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!
I missed the turn off to the right last year and it took a long time to get through ZION. Don't get me wrong, ZION is absolutely beautiful, just didn't need the extra 30-40 minutes I think it added to the already very long trip from CA !! :(

cdog
05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
I'm lookin at the map and if I go that way it takes me on the route to the south thru colorado city then by a town called Jacob lake then by the south end of zion park and north to waheap. Is that the faster way?

OGShocker
05-06-2005, 09:56 AM
the thunder/lightening storms are the best....they are so beautiful to watch.
Whille walking along a white sand beach sipping something tropical in flavor. Oh wait! Wrong forum... ;)

MsDrmr
05-06-2005, 10:43 AM
Whille walking along a white sand beach sipping something tropical in flavor. Oh wait! Wrong forum... ;)
maybe the wrong forum but thats about the most romantic thing I have heard in months, thanks for playin. :wink:

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm lookin at the map and if I go that way it takes me on the route to the south thru colorado city then by a town called Jacob lake then by the south end of zion park and north to waheap. Is that the faster way?
Don't turn off to Jacob's lake.. that will take you the long way around.. for site seeing it is amazing .. but a longer route..
keep going from colorado city straight through to Fredonia. You will make a right hand turn into the town... follow that straight through (north) towards Kanab. In Kanab.. you will come to a stop light. You will want to turn right (hwy 89) towards Page. It is about an hour 20 minutes from Kanab to Page.

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Once you are in Hurricane.. go through town and the lane will shift from 2 lanes to 1 lane. There will be a stop light and I beleive it is like a town hall building that will be on your right. Turn Right at that stop light. Go one block, at the stop sign turn left. That road (route 59/389) will take you up a hill that over looks Hurricane. Through Colorado City, past Big Plain Junction and into Fredonia. That is the quickest route. Hope that helps.. if not you can give Mardonzi.. (Don) a call and he can walk you through it as you are heading this way. Kanab gas is the same if not higher than Page.
OH>.. In Big Water Utah.. (you will drive past on your way to Page.. about 15 20 minutes out of Page) There is a Sinclair Station on your Left, credit cards because it is one of those unmanned stations. Their prices seem to match in town Page Prices! or the next Gas stop is GreenHaven also on your left. Not sure about the prices there.

DeepVee
05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Lake Powell Gas Prices (http://www.wayneswords.com/gas.html)

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 12:46 PM
Good Job Mary :d (allz)
Taking a bow.. thank you thank you!

cdog
05-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all the info. It looks like Big Water is the best place to stop for gas before hitting waheap. I got to find a better map. The maps off the internet are real vauge.

burtandnancy
05-06-2005, 01:07 PM
The cheap gas in in Fredonia, check the prices on your way thru. There is a discount (used to be Texaco) just after you turn left into town near the school zone. The closer you get to Page/Powell, the higher the prices...

AzLakeLizard
05-06-2005, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all the info. It looks like Big Water is the best place to stop for gas before hitting waheap. I got to find a better map. The maps off the internet are real vauge.
Go into Mapquest.com
and select Maps. you can pull up Fredonia, AZ.. zoom in and you will see the street names.. same with Kanab, UT and Big Water UT.
Oh you can also log onto Lakepowell.com and they have on the left hand side of the page a selection "about the park" and they have driving directions there also.