PDA

View Full Version : California Gun Laws

Wicky
05-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Just curious what I can and can't do. I thought maybe some of you LE guys could help me out. I have a truck. No trunk to lock anything in. PBOcop just told me I couldn't have a gun in my truck in Cali period.
Quite the opposite here in Idaho. You go to the local high schools and most trucks have gun racks with guns in them during hunting season. You'd be bansished forever from school in Cali for that.
Thanks ahead of time,
Wicky

Boozer
05-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Get a locking cargo box and put it in the bed of your truck. Keep your gun in there. Or just dont drive around with a gun period. Cali's gun laws suck ass.

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 10:34 AM
I thought you can but the gun has to be in a locked case and the ammo in a different location.Say gun in the front and ammo in the back maybe?No ammo in the case either,not sure on this but....

Wicky
05-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Get a locking cargo box and put it in the bed of your truck. Keep your gun in there. Or just dont drive around with a gun period. Cali's gun laws suck ass.
Not gonna get a cargo box. Dirt bikes won't fit with one. I certainly don't want to leave my guns in the Hotel either.

Ultrafied
05-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Umm ... why not leave the weapons at home in Idaho?

Wicky
05-08-2005, 10:54 AM
18-3302. ISSUANCE OF LICENSES TO CARRY CONCEALED WEAPONS. (1) The sheriff
of a county shall, within ninety (90) days after the filing of an application
by any person who is not disqualified from possessing or receiving a firearm
under state or federal law, issue a license to the person to carry a weapon
concealed on his person within this state for four (4) years from the date of
issue. The citizen's constitutional right to bear arms shall not be denied to
him, unless he:
is Shockwave Bob!!!!
Too bad California doesn't believe in the constitutional right to bear arms.
Barbara Feinstein is my hero!!!! Another great democrat just like Shockwave Bob!!!

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Is it still cosidered concealed if it is locked in a case without any ammo in the case?

Wicky
05-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Umm ... why not leave the weapons at home in Idaho?
My home is California now and I'm bringing my arsenal!!! I was just given a home in Claremont!!! I heard it is next to Pomona. I see Pomona on the show Cops every other weekend. I think everyone who lives in Pomona needs a gun to protect themselves. Crime would definitely go down.

Phat Matt
05-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Only bad guys can carry guns in this state. :frown:

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey I resemble that remark.

Wicky
05-08-2005, 11:00 AM
Is it still cosidered concealed if it is locked in a case without any ammo in the case?
Concealed up here is considered loaded and hidden out of site whether that is on the person or property. I can carry my loaded gun in my pocket out of site anywhere except for a school, bank, or bar.

Wicky
05-08-2005, 11:02 AM
Ain't that the truth!!!!

Sherpa
05-08-2005, 11:29 AM
empty/locking in a gun box is not considered "conceled" in Calif. ammo must
always be stored separate from firearm no matter what. (unless you actually
DO have a conceled permit for Calif.)
I'd say store the gun behind the pickup seat, with the ammo stored in a box/
container/bagged separate from the gun(s).......
or if it's not raining, keep the ammo and gun in the bed while traveling, put
em back in the cab if you stop for food or whatever.
As for the gun racks, and kids pickups at school, etc, that was me back in
the late 70's while duck season, pheasant season, etc... never any probs
back then, but ALOT of shit has happened since then...... the first BIG
issue was when that A_hole shot up the school in Stockton years ago.
That is what started alot of the gun laws we have here now.....
--Sherpa

Ultrafied
05-08-2005, 11:30 AM
I would be very discriminating in the selection of your "arsenal" in which to carry in your vehicle. Most law, liberal or conservative, take a dim view of it here. For that matter, you might as well get used to a lot of differences between here and Idaho. :D

mickeyfinn
05-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Every time I read about the Cal. gun laws I wonder why anyone has anything left. Seems like the bad guys are empowered to take whatever they want. I have said this before but you need a law like one of the cities here in Georgia passed. The results are posted below and a copy of the law after that.
The law gives people an out if they choose not to participate and as far as I know there has never been anyone prosecuted for not owning a gun, but it does send a definite message to the criminal.
Crime Statistic Comparison
City of Kennesaw 1981(Pre-Gun Law)
Population: 5,242
Burglaries: (per 100,000 pop): 1,026
Total Part 1 Crimes: (per 100,000): 4,332
City of Kennesaw 1982(Post Gun Law)
Population: 5,308
Burglaries: (per 100,000 pop): 665
Total Part 1 Crimes: (per 100,000): 3,135
City of Kennesaw 2002
Population: 22,664
Burglaries (per 100,000): 264
Total Part 1 Crimes (per 100,000): 2,345
U.S. Average 2002
Burglaries (per 100,000): 746
Total Part 1 Crimes (per 100,000): 4,118
City of Kennesaw 2003
Population: 25,183
Burglaries (per 100,000): 353
Total Part 1 Crimes (per 100,000): 2,438
U.S. Average 2003
Burglaries (per 100,000): 740
Total Part 1 Crimes (per 100,000): 4,063
Summary: Although the population of the City of Kennesaw and surrounding area has increased dramatically since 1981, on a per capita basis crimes rates were actually lower in 2002 than in 1981. It is also noted that crimes involving the use of a firearm are less than 2% of the total crimes reported.
Note: To control for population differences and make descriptions and make comparisons between jurisdictions more accurate and meaningful, index crimes are reported at the rate per 100,000 persons.
Part 1 crimes consist of: Murder, Non-Negligent Manslaughter, Rape, Robbery, Aggravated Assault, Burglary, Larceny, Auto Theft and Arson.
************************************************** ******** The law reads:
Sec. 34-1 Heads of households to maintain firearms.
(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the City, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the City limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
(b) Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability, which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

Wicky
05-08-2005, 11:43 AM
empty/locking in a gun box is not considered "conceled" in Calif. ammo must
always be stored separate from firearm no matter what. (unless you actually
DO have a conceled permit for Calif.)
I'd say store the gun behind the pickup seat, with the ammo stored in a box/
container/bagged separate from the gun(s).......
or if it's not raining, keep the ammo and gun in the bed while traveling, put
em back in the cab if you stop for food or whatever.
As for the gun racks, and kids pickups at school, etc, that was me back in
the late 70's while duck season, pheasant season, etc... never any probs
back then, but ALOT of shit has happened since then...... the first BIG
issue was when that A_hole shot up the school in Stockton years ago.
That is what started alot of the gun laws we have here now.....
--Sherpa
Thanks Sherpa!!

coolchange
05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
My home is California now and I'm bringing my arsenal!!! I was just given a home in Claremont!!! I heard it is next to Pomona. I see Pomona on the show Cops every other weekend. I think everyone who lives in Pomona needs a gun to protect themselves. Crime would definitely go down.
Everyone in Pomona HAS a gun! So you're movin here and just bringin dirt bikes and guns? :D
So you're leavin Idaho to move to Clairemont. Any polls as to how long thats gonna last? Lets see, Livin in the Hood, or sell the crib and buy a ranch in Idaho? :hammer2: :D

77charger
05-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Just curious what I can and can't do. I thought maybe some of you LE guys could help me out. I have a truck. No trunk to lock anything in. PBOcop just told me I couldn't have a gun in my truck in Cali period.
Quite the opposite here in Idaho. You go to the local high schools and most trucks have gun racks with guns in them during hunting season. You'd be bansished forever from school in Cali for that.
Thanks ahead of time,
Wicky
pm lowriver the laws here suck basic rundown.rifles ok in truck as long as no ammo attached or it is loaded,So called assualt weapons and handguns must be in locked container/bag.ammo must be separate from gun in a truck as long as both are out of reach.

Kindsvater Flat
05-08-2005, 01:47 PM
My .40 sig is loaded with a round chambered in my pickup. It never leaves there. My .223 encore is under the back seat unloaded in a soft case with ammo in the glove box. I have never had a problem with the .223 being in there. The .40 is on my permit. I will not drive into San Francisco with any handgun. Permits are not valid there.
Calif (http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/california) Then hit I agree

PBOCOP
05-08-2005, 03:01 PM
Moving to PTown !! I like it.
Just rolled in from Havasu. Great weekend. Bought a new Yukon Denali and drove the boat this weekend too. What a great combo. That boat is so awesome, no stress, smooth ride, and perfect speed for me. Nothing to clean too. I can't even find anything to wipe down during the day !! Crazy.
What an awesome day Saturday. 90 degrees, got some sun !!
Going to Cabo for a week beginning of June, then big river trip June 25th weekend. See ya then !!
Good luck with a gun permit in So Cal. They just don't issue them, unless something unusual.
Pomona is a beautiful town !! Come visit it sometime !! ha !!
PBO

Ultrafied
05-08-2005, 03:43 PM
CUS HE'S GOING TO CALIE :burningm: :idea:
Caught that when he told me .... but thanks for clarifying it again for me. :)

Wicky
05-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Moving to PTown !! I like it.
Just rolled in from Havasu. Great weekend. Bought a new Yukon Denali and drove the boat this weekend too. What a great combo. That boat is so awesome, no stress, smooth ride, and perfect speed for me. Nothing to clean too. I can't even find anything to wipe down during the day !! Crazy.
What an awesome day Saturday. 90 degrees, got some sun !!
Going to Cabo for a week beginning of June, then big river trip June 25th weekend. See ya then !!
Good luck with a gun permit in So Cal. They just don't issue them, unless something unusual.
Pomona is a beautiful town !! Come visit it sometime !! ha !!
PBO
Looks like I'm moving to McKinley and San Antonio.
That's the good part of the hood right?
What motor does the Denali have? 6.0L?
Days like today I wish I had a pontoon. 35 mph winds kicked up and the rain poured down. Lousy day of fishing. Made it back just in time for Mothers day dinner.
Mow!!! So where is the best place to hide my AK47?
I think it looks good in the gun rack~~

Wicky
05-08-2005, 06:13 PM
thats why we moved to ut,everyone has a gun :D
I like guns!!

Boatcop
05-08-2005, 06:47 PM
Until HR 218 was made law last year, it was illegal for ME to carry in California.
Although most Cali cops I talked to wouldn't have rousted me for it.
It makes no sense to disarm your back-up.

blackcloud75
05-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Wicky,
Reference: Claremont
North of Interstate 10 FWY is Claremona
South of the 10 FWY is Northern Tijuana

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:10 AM
Wicky,
Reference: Claremont
North of Interstate 10 FWY is Claremona
South of the 10 FWY is Northern Tijuana
Ayyyyyy Chihuaha!!!
Still no LEs with a definitive breakdown of what I can and can't do. Anyone?
Bueler...bueler...

Waldo
05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Wicky, your traveling with firearms is considered a "peacable journey" and it's defined as this:
"If you do not have a Concealed Carry Permit issued by a California Sheriff or Law Enforcement Agency you can not transport a loaded firearm in a vehicle or on your person in California.
If you do not have a California CCW Permit the unloaded firearm must be in a locked box in the trunk or in a locked box (Not the glove box or console) inside the vehicle. If transporting a firearm in California it must be legal for you to possess that firearm under California Law."
However, I'll take my chances with this one since I'm sure Cali will never issue me a CCW:
"California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200."

Wicky
05-09-2005, 11:58 AM
Wicky, your traveling with firearms is considered a "peacable journey" and it's defined as this:
"If you do not have a Concealed Carry Permit issued by a California Sheriff or Law Enforcement Agency you can not transport a loaded firearm in a vehicle or on your person in California.
If you do not have a California CCW Permit the unloaded firearm must be in a locked box in the trunk or in a locked box (Not the glove box or console) inside the vehicle. If transporting a firearm in California it must be legal for you to possess that firearm under California Law."
However, I'll take my chances with this one since I'm sure Cali will never issue me a CCW:
"California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200."
Ahhhhhhh, thank you Waldo. That clearly defines what I can and can't do.
I like the quasi-right-to-carry part. :rollside: I drive through some desolate areas on my way to Cali from Idaho. Funny thing though it's probably safer in the desolate areas than it is in Cali. Everyone knows your packing in the desolate areas.
Thanks again,
Wicky

LOWRIVER2
05-12-2005, 06:16 AM
And remember:
Buy all your .50 cal. rifles prior to Apr., 06, they're getting banned in Ca. just like other assault weapons. Get them now and register so you can hit bambi at 1,600 yards/lol.

Wicky
05-12-2005, 06:40 AM
I carried a gun for my country for 9 years, did you?
Nope, I decidided to go to 9 years of college instead!!! Besides, my Dad is a Congressman. :D

OGShocker
05-12-2005, 07:14 AM
Nope, I decidided to go to college instead!!! Besides, my Dad is a Congressman. :D
:crossx: :crossx: :crossx: That right there was FUNNY!
I would rather be tried by 12 then be carried by six.

Tom Brown
05-12-2005, 07:19 AM
I like guns!!
You American gun freaks make me laugh. :D
I need a hand gun for my neice's next visit. I want to be prepared in case she gets out of hand. She weighs about 70 lbs so I'm thinking a smaller caliber weapon will be fine. Any recommendations?

OGShocker
05-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Who are you calling a freak? You praire dogs know a thing or two about attempted murder or did you forget about that Iceburg burger you fed me? I am thinking those burgers have killed more prople than my gun. :crossx:

Wicky
05-12-2005, 07:27 AM
I need a hand gun for my neice's next visit. I want to be prepared in case she gets out of hand. She weighs about 70 lbs so I'm thinking a smaller caliber weapon will be fine. Any recommendations?
I shot my brother in the ass with a bb gun when he was about 70lbs.
He jumped up and chased me around the house. Ended up cracking me over the head with a three iron. I was 10 years old.
I recommend wearing a helmet TB. :D

Tom Brown
05-12-2005, 07:30 AM
I am thinking those burgers have killed more prople than my gun. :crossx:
I have no doubt. :D
I was just at the Ice House last night. That's the first time since you were here. I didn't have the double ice burg, though. :D
It's not often I feel unsafe in either the US or Canada. I know some people who won't go to the US because there are so many guns and I know a couple of Americans who won't come to Canada because they can't bring their guns.
I'm good with all of it, as long as I can have a good laugh. :D

OGShocker
05-12-2005, 07:30 AM
Ended up cracking me over the head with a three iron. I was 10 years old. :D
This explains your love for ShockwaveBoob. :rollside:

Tom Brown
05-12-2005, 07:32 AM
I shot my brother in the ass with a bb gun when he was about 70lbs.
I've got a Crossman air riffle. It's about 60 years old and probably still works.
I'm thinking, in this case, a cup would be more appropriate. She's pretty cool but come on... we all know chicks go for the gonads at the first sign of trouble.

Wicky
05-12-2005, 07:35 AM
This explains your love for ShockwaveBoob. :rollside:
ShockwaveBoob!!!!! Now that was funny!!! :rollside:

Wicky
05-12-2005, 07:44 AM
Wicky vs ShockwaveBoob
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_205.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm824YYUS')

Wicky
05-12-2005, 07:46 AM
Round 2 I'm the smilie on the right this time!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_9_208.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm824YYUS')

OGShocker
05-12-2005, 07:48 AM
I have no doubt. :D
I was just at the Ice House last night. That's the first time since you were here. I didn't have the double ice burg, though. :D
It's not often I feel unsafe in either the US or Canada. I know some people who won't go to the US because there are so many guns and I know a couple of Americans who won't come to Canada because they can't bring their guns.
I'm good with all of it, as long as I can have a good laugh. :D
We need to take you to the range next time you are down. :cool:

Wicky
05-12-2005, 07:49 AM
ShockwaveBoob on catching a buzz...his way!!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_16_2.gif ('http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb008_ZNxdm824YYUS')

ChumpChange
05-12-2005, 07:50 AM
P-Town is not that bad. Our fraternity house was on the border of Pomona and Claremont. North side of the street was Claremont, South side was Pomona.
My truck got broken into as well as three other cars in one night, we had the neighbors pull knives and guns on us after they almost ran over us when we were playing football in the street because we were in their way. Welcome!!!

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Move to Texas.....problem solved. I like to carry my 'sport hunting rifle' around with me. We don't use that word assault rifle too much around here......it's a sport hunting rifle okay?!!!! (nevermind the 30rd mag)
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Kris_AK-47.jpg
I do have my own personal arsenal and am proud to say at any given time I am no more than 20 ft away from a loaded weapon. I'm purdy good with one too;)
When the muslims come to take over the nation......feel free to seek refuge at my house. You will be expected to reload....field strip and clean rifles for me....lol
Omega

sorry dog
05-12-2005, 08:43 AM
Tom : Airsoft. Works great on unruly children.
Use the .25g BBs for greater efficiency.
http://www.nationaldefenders.com/images/airsoft/rifle/mp5a8d-disp.jpg