PDA

View Full Version : Need help with 2500 Diesel...

Kilrtoy
05-08-2005, 11:39 AM
looking to upgrade truck.... What do you recommend....
here is what I do.....
1. The wife drives daily to drop and pick up kids at school....
2. We drive to the river every other weekend and soon every weekend...
3. We tow the boat no more than 2 miles each way to launch ramp......
Im not looking to make this a hot rod, just want better mileage.........
due to the amount of driving......
So what should I do......
Thanks, Kilr

Kachina26
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
I thought we had this all hashed out. Check out the diesel forums, I know Jordy has mentioned them on here before.

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 12:28 PM
www.thedieselstop.com
www.oilburners.net
www.gmc-diesel.com
1. Intake
2. Exhaust
3. Guages (pyro, boost, tranny temp)
4. Chip/programer (only if your warranty has expired)
5. Use good oil. Call me crazy, buy stick with Delo 400 15-40 or
Rotella-T 15-40
Check em out.
JON.

djunkie
05-08-2005, 12:42 PM
www.thedieselstop.com
www.oilburners.net
www.gmc-diesel.com
1. Intake
2. Exhaust
3. Guages (pyro, boost, tranny temp)
4. Chip/programer (only if your warranty has expired)
5. Use good oil. Call me crazy, buy stick with Delo 400 15-40 or
Rotella-T 15-40
Check em out.
JON.
SSmoke I have a question for you. I'm gonna do exhaust and intake on my 05' duramax and I wanted your opinion. I was gonna go with the MBRP or magnaflow exhaust(turbo back with the cat in) and the volant intake. Does this sound like a good setup? Also I want a set of guages but don't really feel like going with the pod setup. Can I buy the edge display and use that without having to buy the programmer just for the guages?

Kilrtoy
05-08-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought we had this all hashed out. Check out the diesel forums, I know Jordy has mentioned them on here before.
We have, I just dot to nything...
And Someone said that programmers and chips void the warranty.... Is this true.....

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 02:37 PM
Djunkie-------The MBRP turbo back is a great choice. The Magnaflow is a lil too quiet and usually more expensive. I know a MBRP rep that is located locally in Granada Hills, CA. I'll get you some more info.
Also...yes the "Attitude" display from Edge will work as a pyro/boost/tranny temp guage. But, If I were a diesel tech and you came to my shop with some sort of warranty problem, and you had the "attitude". I'd be skeptical about doing work on your truck. Know what I mean? (most dealers think if you have the Attitude, then you have the Edge too and probably took it off before going to the dealer).
And...there are other options for guage locations. There are some that allow them to actually be placed on your steering column. and others under the dash. Below the radio and such. I'll get you more info from DPS asap.
JON.

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Call John Hamlin. Owner.
Diesel performance shops. Granada Hills, CA.
www.dieselperformanceshops.com
MBRP also has the "Cool Duals System" in both T-409 and T-304 stainless.
MBRP STAINLESS XP SERIES T-409 EXHAUST
MBRP
- For Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 01-04+ 6.6L Diesel Trucks.
- 4" Front-Pipe Back Exhaust System Kit.
- All Cab & Bed Configurations.
- Tip Sold Seperately.
- (Don't Forget The High Dollar Savings)
-$425.21
Magnaflow
- For Chevy/GMC 2500HD/3500 01-04 6.6L Diesel Trucks.
- 4" Magnaflow Series Downpipe-Back Exhaust System Kit.
- Includes Stainless Steel Tip.
- CC/SB Only.
-$703.27

Kachina26
05-08-2005, 02:47 PM
We have, I just dot to nything...
And Someone said that programmers and chips void the warranty.... Is this true.....
If you tell them that you "chipped" it and then you pop an injector, they may refuse to warranty it. If you went balls to the wall with GM, they would have to prove that the programmer was the cause. They would most likely warranty it. If you had amplifier noise again, there would be no issue. It won't void your entire warranty. If you program it back to stock before bringing it in for service, they won't know. The way you plan to run it, you won't have any issues anyway. You don't tow big weight up hills at 80-85 and so on. Some jackball came into my dealer with a hypertech sticker on his brand new truck and we gave him no grief at all. I was tempted to program it back to stock to see what he would do, but I'm just not that evil :devil:

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I was tempted to program it back to stock to see what he would do, but I'm just not that evil :devil:
That would've been SSSWWWWEEEEETTTTT!

djunkie
05-08-2005, 03:25 PM
Call John Hamlin. Owner.
Diesel performance shops. Granada Hills, CA.
www.dieselperformanceshops.com
MBRP also has the "Cool Duals System" in both T-409 and T-304 stainless.
MBRP STAINLESS XP SERIES T-409 EXHAUST
MBRP
- For Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 01-04+ 6.6L Diesel Trucks.
- 4" Front-Pipe Back Exhaust System Kit.
- All Cab & Bed Configurations.
- Tip Sold Seperately.
- (Don't Forget The High Dollar Savings)
-$425.21
Magnaflow
- For Chevy/GMC 2500HD/3500 01-04 6.6L Diesel Trucks.
- 4" Magnaflow Series Downpipe-Back Exhaust System Kit.
- Includes Stainless Steel Tip.
- CC/SB Only.
-$703.27
Thanks it looks like I'll probably go with the MBRP. Is there a big difference between the T409 and the T304 stainless. Also what cold air intake would you recomend?

slingingsmoke
05-08-2005, 03:42 PM
Thanks it looks like I'll probably go with the MBRP. Is there a big difference between the T409 and the T304 stainless. Also what cold air intake would you recomend?
The T304 is a higher grade of Stainless Steel. Most folks who get the T304 are in areas that have lots of snow/ice/salt. It is least resistant to rust.
T-409 is a lower grade of SS, but is perfect for guys like us in the west coast.
Aluminized will work well and is cheapest too.
Both T-409 and T-304 will most likely outlast the life of your truck!
AIR intakes..... www.afefilters.com John carries them on www.dieselperformanceshops.com
Look under GM
Airfilters: AFE
and yours will be the Stage II Pro-Guard 7
John will beat any price!

Kilrtoy
05-08-2005, 06:39 PM
So what will the MBRP do for you.....

djunkie
05-08-2005, 07:18 PM
Look and sound cool. LOL!!!! :D With the exhaust and cool air intake it is said that you will gain some power and fuel economy. Well we'll see. Didn't make a difference on my old truck but that was a gas engine. :idea:

dieseldog
05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
MBRP is a great choice for exhaust. If you use a programmer such as a predator and add some gauges, it works well for bringing in for warranty work. No hard parts to remove, just re-program it to stock and leave the gauges in. No harm in having gauges right? I've had reports of fuel mileage increases with a mild tuner and an exhaust system. If you can get rid of the cat that will help too. Another good thing about the MBRP, it fits!! which is more than I can say for some other systems I have installed.

Kilrtoy
05-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Look and sound cool. LOL!!!! :D With the exhaust and cool air intake it is said that you will gain some power and fuel economy. Well we'll see. Didn't make a difference on my old truck but that was a gas engine. :idea:
PLEASE keep me informed on your outcome......

djunkie
05-08-2005, 08:09 PM
PLEASE keep me informed on your outcome......
Roger that. :D

LHC30Victory
05-09-2005, 07:31 AM
what about the Banks stuff??????

djunkie
05-09-2005, 11:54 AM
what about the Banks stuff??????
I was told with the Banks stuff all you are buying is the name. I'm sure its great but there's a lot out there that is just as good for less money. Unless you just have to have that Banks Power emblem. :D

Essex502
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
I'd leave the truck alone. Buy another vehicle for your wife's use and leave the truck in Havasu like the rest of us! :D

slingingsmoke
05-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Drop your EGT's (exhaust gas temperature) which is why it is important to have guages when towing w/ a diesel. Too much boost over a long period of time will cook your turbo.
Other advantages are quicker turbo spool up (more boost sooner), more MPG & awesome sound.
JON.

BLOWN HOWARD
05-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Just heard from around the block that the Chevy EGR is bad and thats why people who remove the cat from the system have engine lights. Chevy is getting ready to recall them from what i heard!!! Once they replace them you shouldnt have a problem with removing the CAT!! I also remembering that someone said if you unplug the EGR and plug it into a EGR that is just sitting in the motor compartment it will work that way also. Just stuff i heard so dont quote me on the above

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:39 AM
Just heard from around the block that the Chevy EGR is bad and thats why people who remove the cat from the system have engine lights. Chevy is getting ready to recall them from what i heard!!! Once they replace them you shouldnt have a problem with removing the CAT!! I also remembering that someone said if you unplug the EGR and plug it into a EGR that is just sitting in the motor compartment it will work that way also. Just stuff i heard so dont quote me on the above
:D

caroftheweek
05-10-2005, 02:42 PM
hi all:
I have a 4wd crew cab short bed duramax with the Edge Juice and Attitude, Magnaflow exhaust (no cat) and drop in k&n filter. With 265 tires it will smoke the tires into 3rd gear. It gets 18mpg on river trips as long as you stay out of the boost and has been reliable, no problems in 96000 miles. Btw, to use the attitude, you must have the Edge Juice, the Attitude plugs into it. I am pleased with the all the add-ons and would recommend them to anyone. These make the truck fun to drive. I had the k&n FIPK and did not like it. did not notice any difference and that filter got dirty quick. I have not heard the MBRP but if it is cheaper and the muffler is straight through and is 4" then i say go for it. I have had great luck with the magnaflow products, great quality and sounds good. PM Cole Trickle and see if he can break you a deal on the magnaflow if you decide to go that way. This is my 3rd Duramax and I have done this to each one with the same results. Good luck.
Regards,
Ryan

slingingsmoke
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
EGR is bad
EGR is for gassers, they do not belong on diesel engines, We can thank the EPA for that. It clogs us up! It ruins longetivity and mileage.
Yes a ford trick is to buy a used EGR and zip tie it to something in your engine compartment and connect the wire from your "real" EGR valve. Then your stock EGR stays in the closed position not allowing all that crap to go back into your intake.
JON

Kachina26
05-10-2005, 07:29 PM
I also remembering that someone said if you unplug the EGR and plug it into a EGR that is just sitting in the motor compartment it will work that way also. Just stuff i heard so dont quote me on the above
Sorry to quote you, but that was way too much to re-type
The engine control module (ECM) tests the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow once per ignition cycle. When the proper enabling conditions are met, the ECM will close the EGR valve and then open the EGR valve while monitoring the mass air flow (MAF) signal. An expected MAF difference should be detected between the open and closed positions. If the ECM does not see the expected MAF difference, DTC P0401 sets.
So if it isn't flowing, you will set a light.

Eliminator 4 Life
05-10-2005, 09:05 PM
MBRP is a great choice for exhaust. If you use a programmer such as a predator and add some gauges, it works well for bringing in for warranty work. No hard parts to remove, just re-program it to stock and leave the gauges in. No harm in having gauges right? I've had reports of fuel mileage increases with a mild tuner and an exhaust system. If you can get rid of the cat that will help too. Another good thing about the MBRP, it fits!! which is more than I can say for some other systems I have installed.
Clyde thanks for the fat hook up on my MBRP I cant wait to get home and mount that shit up and let her rip :cool: If you get this before you send my invoice send me a sticker to thanks Rob

djunkie
05-10-2005, 09:09 PM
Clyde thanks for the fat hook up on my MBRP I cant wait to get home and mount that shit up and let her rip :cool: If you get this before you send my invoice send me a sticker to thanks Rob
Whas this about a deal on the MBRP exhaust? :D

slingingsmoke
05-10-2005, 09:43 PM
see what I mean.....MBRP is the shizzz

Eliminator 4 Life
05-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Whas this about a deal on the MBRP exhaust? :D
Have to get a hold of diesel dog :D

dieseldog
05-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Rob, the exhaust will be there Friday, and I sent the stickers and invoice today. Thanks!!

Eliminator 4 Life
05-11-2005, 07:38 PM
Rob, the exhaust will be there Friday, and I sent the stickers and invoice today. Thanks!!
No problem my brother thanks for the fat hook up. I hope to be doing more business with you in the future :cool: