PDA

View Full Version : Does Merc still make the number 5 drive??

WetWillie
05-08-2005, 07:19 PM
I was talking to Toby tonight and he was mentioning wanting to run a Teague EFI 800 with no issues.. I talked about the #5 not sure if they still
make it? Does it need a tranny?? Why dont more guys use them??

WetWillie
05-08-2005, 07:22 PM
http://mercruiser.com/uploads/2154/VSSMRdrive_d.gif
The V SSM drive uses the same transom assembly as the III-A SSM drive and contains all the qualities and features as the III-A including larger vertical bearings in the upper housing, larger driveshaft splines, larger pinion bearings, and a larger prop shaft with rear loading for increased strength. The V SSM’s overall installation height is 6” (152.4 mm) shorter than the III-A drive. This allows the engine to be mounted lower in the boat, improving the boat’s center of gravity. The gearcase is mounted higher on the transom, resulting in better performance. Spacers are available to lower the drive unit up to 3” (76.2 mm) in 1” (25.4 mm) increments.
Features & Benefits
Contains all the qualities and features as the III-A SSM Drive.
Larger vertical bearings in the upper housing.
Larger driveshaft splines and pinion bearings.
Larger propshaft with rear loading, for increased strength.
Uses same transom assembly as the III-A SSM drive.
Input ratings are 750 HP and up to 750 foot pounds of torque.
Overall installation height is 6" shorter than the III-A SSM Drive. This allows the engine to be mounted lower in the boat resulting in a better center of gravity. The gearcase is mounted higher on the transom resulting in better performance.
Drive-line and plug-in models available.
Spacers are available to lower drive unit up to 3" in 1" increments.
Gear ratios: (RH or LH) 1:1, 1.18:1, 1.33:1, 1.48:1 or 1.62:1.
Toby this should do it!!

Bling Bling
05-08-2005, 07:30 PM
I was talking to Toby tonight and he was mentioning wanting to run a Teague EFI 800 with no issues.. I talked about the #5 not sure if they still
You can get your hands on them for sure. If my memory serves me correctly, the top of a 5 gimbal verses a 6 gimbal sticks up higher on the transom . The problem is a 5 is really and I mean really only rated at a 1000 hp tops. I have a buddy with them on his 38 scarab with 900hp, every 2 years it's time for rebuilds and he maybe uses it 5 times a year. A #6 or max machine. Just ask bravo boy. :D

WetWillie
05-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Go with a Max Machine drive before you go #5??

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 07:40 PM
#5 still takes a tranny though doesnt it?

Havasu Hangin'
05-08-2005, 07:43 PM
#5 still takes a tranny though doesnt it?
I think all the SSM drives need a tranny.

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 07:48 PM
I think all the SSM drives need a tranny.
Thats what i thought,then it aint gonna fit in a 26 unless you use one of Max's new trannys and their not tested yet...oh did i let that out of the bag! Dam it

TOBTEK
05-08-2005, 08:11 PM
OMG.....man, dont pharse it like that. All kinds of "tire kicker" comments will be flying quicker then Rockies chasing something/ ANYTHING for free :p
And change your fricking Avatar, I look im 4'9" tall. :cry: SO, BLING you think "somebody" would be better running a MAX drive with 800hp verse something else???? "somebody" doesn't want to be rebuilding drives two or three times a yr!

WetWillie
05-08-2005, 08:15 PM
How the hell did you get online?? :rolleyes:

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 08:22 PM
You will need a tranny for anything but a Bravo1,and there is no room for a trans.I went through this already,not too mention you would have to mover the motor forward and Dave says thats a NO NO.
So buns up for the new Billet Max drive.I'll let ya know how it holds up.

TOBTEK
05-08-2005, 08:25 PM
How the hell did you get online?? :rolleyes:
was a big suprise.....old tentants didnt turn thee cable off ;)

TOBTEK
05-08-2005, 08:26 PM
You will need a tranny for anything but a Bravo1,and there is no room for a trans.I went through this already,not too mention you would have to mover the motor forward and Dave says thats a NO NO.
So buns up for the new Billet Max drive.I'll let ya know how it holds up.
so "J"...how much HP are you going to have with the new motor, and what drive do you have?

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Max Machine and 1300hp is the goal.

TOBTEK
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
1300hp :supp: you physo!

WetWillie
05-08-2005, 08:30 PM
You go boy!! Thats alot of HP for a tiny dude... You going turbo?

Jrocket
05-08-2005, 08:34 PM
You go boy!! Thats alot of HP for a tiny dude... You going turbo?
Twin turbo,Im compensating for my size of boat.

Bling Bling
05-09-2005, 06:19 AM
Nice, you can show JP what really makes HP. :D

Charley
05-09-2005, 06:54 AM
Yaya ..Twiggy I just hope yer unit is thicker than yer bicep or mrs JR aint satisfied
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D

andy01
05-09-2005, 07:42 AM
From what I know, I heard the #5 was no longer in production. I know the 300's are on their way out but they still have them on thier site as well.
Andy

Jrocket
05-09-2005, 07:49 AM
Yaya ..Twiggy I just hope yer unit is thicker than yer bicep or mrs JR aint satisfied
:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D
Thanks for the call Saturday night prick! :p

Charley
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the call Saturday night prick! :p
I walked out my front door around 6pm and yelled yer name!!
so sorry man, it was a hectic morning/afternoon.... can I buy you lunch to apologize with my wallet?
:D

jackpunx
05-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Nice, you can show JP what really makes HP. :D
Yes sir.. if you were a real man and had a hair on your balls.. You would be running turbo motors..
I dont think Brummet trusts you with all that power.. :D

Jrocket
05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
I walked out my front door around 6pm and yelled yer name!!
so sorry man, it was a hectic morning/afternoon.... can I buy you lunch to apologize with my wallet?
:D
The story I got from stretch was,screw Johnny I dont want my wife drooling over him all night!
Lunch will be fine!