PDA

View Full Version : Howard Custom Boats Wins Again!

Essex502
05-10-2005, 05:42 AM
While over at Howard Custom Boats yesterday I learned that Gene and Mike Willen have just been awarded an UNPRECEDENTED 3rd Powerboat Magazine Award for Product Excxellence for the Howard Custom Boats 28 Bullet. Congratulations guys on a job well done. They are three for three, I understand, when they have taken the Bullet to the Powerboat Magazine trials. The full story will be in the upcoming issue of Powerboat.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/14041404powerboataward_2005_800.jpg

INSman
05-10-2005, 06:01 AM
Uh oh, what happened in 2002 ?? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:
Nice boats and all but very boring to look at in my opinion and not quite big enough in the midcabin or engine compartment :2purples:

goneboatin
05-10-2005, 06:02 AM
It kind of helps when your shop is next door to Teague Custom Marine, the publishers' (Bob Teague) own shop. Doesn't Howard use Teague for their Mercruiser warranty work?
:idea:

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:09 AM
Nice boats and all but very boring to look at in my opinion and not quite big enough in the midcabin or engine compartment :2purples:
They didn't send a boat to the trials.

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:11 AM
It kind of helps when your shop is next door to Teague Custom Marine, the publishers' (Bob Teague) own shop. Doesn't Howard use Teague for their Mercruiser warranty work?
You'd be surprised how far away Teague really is from Howard. Although they share a common wall there isn't a door connecting the two that I've seen. Are you questioning the editorial integrity Powerboat Magazine? It isn't Hot Boat! :D
BTW...when did Bob Teague start publishing Powerboat?

MagicMtnDan
05-10-2005, 06:11 AM
They obviously make a GREAT boat. It'd be even better if they made a larger one like a "30" that'd have about 28.5' usable with more freeboard (bigger stabbin' cabin). Congratulations to the Willens - well done guys!

Panic Button
05-10-2005, 06:13 AM
They won "Sport Boat" catagory, the "OffShore V Bottom" is a Cigarette 39 Top Gun Unlimited by LipShip
http://208.13.134.201/vegas***boats/p1/c1.jpg
http://208.13.134.201/vegas***boats/p1/c2.jpg
http://208.13.134.201/vegas***boats/p1/c3.jpg

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:15 AM
They obviously make a GREAT boat. It'd be even better if they made a larger one like a "30" that'd have about 28.5' usable with more freeboard (bigger stabbin' cabin). Congratulations to the Willens - well done guys!
Just wait....

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:17 AM
They won "Sport Boat" catagory, the "OffShore V Bottom" is a Cigarette 39 Top Gun Unlimited by LipShip
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141885&stc=1&thumb=1
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141887&stc=1&thumb=1
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=141886&stc=1&thumb=1
PB....that isn't their market. Try linking the photo to hotboatpics.com instead OSO as it requires password login and membership.

OGShocker
05-10-2005, 06:20 AM
Good Job Mike! :cool:
Whatever Gene. :notam:

northern baja
05-10-2005, 06:22 AM
But the style, interior layout, and and use of space was a tough sell for my wife.
Many of the "customer boat builders are being left behind by the much cheaper production boats.
Next boat show hopefully the builder will walk around a bit and check out the styling and use of space of the much smaller production lines. :hammerhea
At customer boat prices it not just the hull, it's the total package that sells.

Speedin' Ian
05-10-2005, 06:24 AM
Come on guys lets give credit where credit is do, Howard builds a very high quality boat, that out performs all other similar sized V's, so I think the award is well deserved

FRENCHIE
05-10-2005, 06:27 AM
....this just in......'ROLN20'S' just bought a SHOCKWAVE!!!! :jawdrop: :hammer2: :hammer2: :p :D

Panic Button
05-10-2005, 06:28 AM
It's a nice boat, but not to our liking...

Havasu Hangin'
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Did they accidentally wash that 2004 award in hot water?

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:42 AM
....this just in......'ROLN20'S' just bought a SHOCKWAVE!!!! :jawdrop: :hammer2: :hammer2: :p :D
That'll be the day. :hammerhea

Essex502
05-10-2005, 06:43 AM
Trick photography...if you ask nicely I'll tell you how I did it! :D

cola
05-10-2005, 07:02 AM
It was for the 25' Bullet.

Mandelon
05-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Powerboat says they are not related. The Teague who does the test driving and writes the reports is not the same Teague that builds the motors......

Essex502
05-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Powerboat says they are not related. The Teague who does the test driving and writes the reports is not the same Teague that builds the motors......
??? Bob Teague of Teague Custom Marine doesn't build motors? Or is he NOT the technical editor of Powerboat? Or is he NOT the driver of some of Powerboat's test fleet? ??? I'm confused now.

Essex502
05-10-2005, 07:27 AM
It was for the 25' Bullet.That is true, Mike. Although I don't think the size was reduced because it was a 25 Bullet versus the 28 Bullet! :D

Mandelon
05-10-2005, 07:32 AM
The magazine said that the Teague who does their testing and writing of boat tests is not the guy who builds the motors....

RiverDave
05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
The guy in the pictures driving the boat looks amazingly like the guy that builds the motors.. LOL :D I'm pretty sure they are the same guy. On a different note though, I don't think Howard won that award becuase of their relationship with Teague. I think they won it becuase they put out a hell of a product.
RD

Sandbar Mike
05-10-2005, 07:37 AM
Serious Frenchy?

Havasu_Dreamin
05-10-2005, 08:29 AM
Serious Frenchy?
Hell no! Roln 20's aint buying no shockwave.

Essex502
05-10-2005, 09:10 AM
Mandalone - There's a Bob Teague - owner of Teague Marine and tech writer and driver for Powerboat and there's a Gary Teague who owns GT Performance. Both Teagues build motors, right?
GT Performance (http://www.gtmarine.com/main.php)
Teague Custom Marine (http://teaguecustommarine.com/)
From Teague Marine's website:
Bob Teague has been affiliated with Power boat Magazine since 1972 providing technical assistance and on-staff as a test team member. Since 1992, Bob Teague has held the position of Technical Editor and Chief Boat Test Driver.

goneboatin
05-10-2005, 09:16 AM
The guy in the pictures driving the boat looks amazingly like the guy that builds the motors.. LOL :D I'm pretty sure they are the same guy. On a different note though, I don't think Howard won that award becuase of their relationship with Teague. I think they won it becuase they put out a hell of a product.
RD
Don't get me wrong, I think Howard makes a great product, but aquaintences always help.

Panic Button
05-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Still a cool boat, but it usually is not what you know, but who you know...

Essex502
05-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Doesn't Bob Teague own a DCB? I'd think he'd be more prone to vote for DCB then wouldn't you? AH....I guess Bob says one thing and does another then. Hmmmm....his is the only vote too.

goneboatin
05-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Doesn't Bob Teague own a DCB? I'd think he'd be more prone to vote for DCB then wouldn't you? AH....I guess Bob says one thing and does another then. Hmmmm....his is the only vote too.
He probably pays rent to Gene for the building.

Essex502
05-10-2005, 09:47 AM
I doubt it. Keep looking for that sinister connection! :D

roln 20s
05-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Serious Frenchy?
Good job Frenchie--look what you started :D :) I'll probably get a few calls from Howard and other builders tomorrow just to confirm-hehe :)
I haven't bought anything--I'll be the last tire kicker of the bunch (well I may beat MMD). I've got a few good ideas brewing...we'll see later this summer...you know you will all be the first to know (I won't pull a Kilrtoy and keep it a secret).
BTW--I was at the Powerboat trials, Bob Teague of Teague Custom Marine was definately driving GT's 28 Bullet :D

DogHouse
05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Good job Frenchie--look what you started :D :) I'll probably get a few calls from Howard and other builders tomorrow just to confirm-hehe :)
I haven't bought anything--I'll be the last tire kicker of the bunch (well I may beat MMD). I've got a few good ideas brewing...we'll see later this summer...you know you will all be the first to know (I won't pull a Kilrtoy and keep it a secret).
BTW--I was at the Powerboat trials, Bob Teague of Teague Custom Marine was definately driving GT's 28 Bullet :D
Didn't ya hear, Roln is buying a CAT!!!
:D

INSman
05-10-2005, 07:40 PM
Let's put it this way, I have heard on more than one occassion from completely unrelated sources that between Teague and DCB, somebody owed the other for product and/or services and it was going to get resolved easier and quicker with BOB getting a DCB to finally settle the Accounts Receivable or Accounts payable, depending on how you look at it.

Kilrtoy
05-10-2005, 07:45 PM
(I won't pull a Kilrtoy and keep it a secret).
Thats cuz im a one off.......
And yes HOWARD does build a VERY NICE boat.......

Kilrtoy
05-10-2005, 07:47 PM
Let's put it this way, I have heard on more than one occassion from completely unrelated sources that between Teague and DCB, somebody owed the other for product and/or services and it was going to get resolved easier and quicker with BOB getting a DCB to finally settle the Accounts Receivable or Accounts payable, depending on how you look at it.
What are you saying Dave dont pay his bills. I find that very hard to believe....

roln 20s
05-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Didn't ya hear, Roln is buying a CAT!!!
I have no idea what you are talking about :)..deny everything, admit nothing... :) :D
I bet I will be sold more after a little kitty ride this weekend :D :)
Roln 20s

Redrider
05-10-2005, 08:36 PM
That is why we bought another Howard. Not only do they build a great boat, but Mike takes care of his customers!

DogHouse
05-10-2005, 08:49 PM
I have no idea what you are talking about :)..deny everything, admit nothing... :) :D
Roln 20s
But my kitty's got no BLING!!!

roln 20s
05-10-2005, 10:51 PM
But my kitty's got no BLING!!!
Its got "Bling"...800+, people just don't know that...or atleast didn't until I posted :) You could always factor in BLING by putting some 20's on the trailer (I bet it would tow smoother-hehe)
Roln 20s

Essex502
05-11-2005, 06:05 AM
Roln 20s
Then why did you have me take all of those pictures with my secret spy camera of the new 28' Howard Deck boat/future 28' cat hull? Shooosh....;)

INSman
05-11-2005, 06:56 AM
What are you saying Dave dont pay his bills. I find that very hard to believe....
I am not saying that at all and I too would find that hard to believe. As with most things, I could care less about what part was true or not and really didn't care or care to ask more questions. Didn't involve me and wasn't buying a boat or product from either party. Just something I heard (2) different times from (2) different people that I can't remember.
All I do know, is that both these guys charge a pretty big price tag for their stuff !! :cool: :jawdrop: :D It's all good though

boxscore
05-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I am not saying that at all and I too would find that hard to believe. As with most things, I could care less about what part was true or not and really didn't care or care to ask more questions. Didn't involve me and wasn't buying a boat or product from either party.
Then why post unverifiable crap? Nothing good comes outta that kind of $hit, ever.

INSman
05-11-2005, 07:14 AM
Then why post unverifiable crap? Nothing good comes outta that kind of $hit, ever.
Point taken, but probably a ton of it here on the boards. Just commenting on someone insinuating that Teague was in bed with Howard as respects Powerboat Awards and stating that might not be the only place :eat:
I guess I could have called Bob and or Dave to verify :idea: ;)

boxscore
05-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Scary to imagine Bob Teague in a bed with anyone. Gary Teague might be a hottie for all I know... never seen him before.

INSman
05-11-2005, 07:21 AM
Scary to imagine Bob Teague in a bed with anyone. Gary Teague might be a hottie for all I know... never seen him before.
Very funny, I think BOB is in his last tri-mester :rollside:

boxscore
05-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Very funny, I think BOB is in his last tri-mester :rollside:
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/129072701manboobscontestant18_jim1.jpg

Mandelon
05-11-2005, 07:29 AM
Mandalone - There's a Bob Teague - owner of Teague Marine and tech writer and driver for Powerboat and there's a Gary Teague who owns GT Performance. Both Teagues build motors, right?
GT Performance (http://www.gtmarine.com/main.php)
Teague Custom Marine (http://teaguecustommarine.com/)
From Teague Marine's website:
Bob Teague has been affiliated with Power boat Magazine since 1972 providing technical assistance and on-staff as a test team member. Since 1992, Bob Teague has held the position of Technical Editor and Chief Boat Test Driver.
I remember reading it in a back issue of Powerboat....but maybe they meant that Gary and Bob are not related....? I admit my memory isn't what it used to be....my brain is too full of useless stuff..... :notam:

Charley
05-11-2005, 07:46 AM
Um.... interesting comment Insman... let me take the liberty to Defend DCB from your comment, that is based on heresay, and shed some light with some FIRST hand info I can share personally.... Bob Teague test drove my F-29 on or around 6 or 7/03 .... I obviously read Bob's write up, but didnt have the chance to chat persaonally with him for a few months later. To be honest with you, I was a lil nervous to call the guy... you see, my F-29 had Peto motors in it and my prior boat had a Teague motor so I had "jumped ship" so to speak. When I did finally did talk with him I knew I would get a straight answer and Bob has a tendancy to be no Bull$hit in his delivery.... He started out by busting my balls about going Peto but then these were the words from his mouth at that time.... " It's the best Cat 30' and under I have ever driven" ...... now I'm guessing, maybe that sentiment has alot more to do with why he has an F29 than your speculation on accounts payable. Now if Dave and Bob did a trade(which wouldn't surprise me at all ;) ) I doubt it was about seeing Bob's money sooner as Bob took almost a year to get that boat in the water ;) ..... I'm sure this isn't Bob's last boat, and he will eventually sell it and turn some money on this thing, but if he didn't believe in it would he load his family in it, line up for a boat race, and burst out like a Bat out of hell in front of the biggest collection of Hardware ever seen on Lake Havasu? Thats exactly what he did 2 weeks ago at the Desert storm Poker run
btw the DCB-F29 just won the Powerboat magazine's "sport cat of the year" award :D
sorry that I'm hijacking the Howard thread, they deserve big congrads on thier own award(s) and they make a damn fine boat ;)

rivercrazy
05-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Bunch of CHEERLEADERS! LOL! :D :D :D

Charley
05-11-2005, 07:58 AM
Bunch of CHEERLEADERS! LOL! :D :D :D
nah I'd defend the American Flag alot more viciously than The Dcb flag ;)

rivercrazy
05-11-2005, 08:02 AM
Howz the new place coming along? Start building yet?
If you see me out there, flag me down for a beer

INSman
05-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Charley, I don't doubt you for a second on any of your comments and I may even buy a DCB someday, and I remember now hearing this from a lessor competitor who claims that Bob said the same thing about their CAT, but couldn't or wouldn't buy because of the aforementioned. Whatever deal may or may not have happend, it's not really any of our business anyway, as long as both parties wound up happy !! :D
Um.... interesting comment Insman... let me take the liberty to Defend DCB from your comment, that is based on heresay, and shed some light with some FIRST hand info I can share personally.... Bob Teague test drove my F-29 on or around 6 or 7/03 .... I obviously read Bob's write up, but didnt have the chance to chat persaonally with him for a few months later. To be honest with you, I was a lil nervous to call the guy... you see, my F-29 had Peto motors in it and my prior boat had a Teague motor so I had "jumped ship" so to speak. When I did finally did talk with him I knew I would get a straight answer and Bob has a tendancy to be no Bull$hit in his delivery.... He started out by busting my balls about going Peto but then these were the words from his mouth at that time.... " It's the best Cat 30' and under I have ever driven" ...... now I'm guessing, maybe that sentiment has alot more to do with why he has an F29 than your speculation on accounts payable. Now if Dave and Bob did a trade(which wouldn't surprise me at all ;) ) I doubt it was about seeing Bob's money sooner as Bob took almost a year to get that boat in the water ;) ..... I'm sure this isn't Bob's last boat, and he will eventually sell it and turn some money on this thing, but if he didn't believe in it would he load his family in it, line up for a boat race, and burst out like a Bat out of hell in front of the biggest collection of Hardware ever seen on Lake Havasu? Thats exactly what he did 2 weeks ago at the Desert storm Poker run
btw the DCB-F29 just won the Powerboat magazine's "sport cat of the year" award :D
sorry that I'm hijacking the Howard thread, they deserve big congrads on thier own award(s) and they make a damn fine boat ;)

Essex502
05-11-2005, 11:14 AM
I believe in my conversations with Bob Teague that he wouldn't be "bought" either for or against any boat manufacturer. What incentive would he have? He can probably buy any boat he wants...the exception may be Paul Allen's newest! :D

INSman
05-11-2005, 11:35 AM
I believe in my conversations with Bob Teague that he wouldn't be "bought" either for or against any boat manufacturer. What incentive would he have? He can probably buy any boat he wants...the exception may be Paul Allen's newest! :D
Yeah, it's a "NO WIN" for him other than personal enjoyment when he buys a certain boat, as he probably pisses off all the other builders that would have preferred that he buy their boat over a DCB, maybe Eliminator/Howard/Force/Skater/Nor-Tech or whom the f ever else !!

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah, it's a "NO WIN" for him other than personal enjoyment when he buys a certain boat, as he probably pisses off all the other builders that would have preferred that he buy their boat over a DCB, maybe Eliminator/Howard/Force/Skater/Nor-Tech or whom the f ever else !!
Don't forget the tournament boat he keeps at his place in Parker.

djunkie
05-11-2005, 12:18 PM
Don't forget the tournament boat he keeps at his place in Parker.
LOL!!! You ever see him in that thing? Very funny sight. :D

RiverDave
05-11-2005, 01:04 PM
It's pretty much all he drives down there to my knowledge?
RD

djunkie
05-11-2005, 01:17 PM
It's pretty much all he drives down there to my knowledge?
RD
Well I've only seen him there twice. And I used to stay a few doors down. Both times he was in that little ski boat.

Charley
05-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Howz the new place coming along? Start building yet?
If you see me out there, flag me down for a beer
wanting to break ground any day, our fingers are crossed!! oh and I will defintely flag you down ... look for a short lil studly lookin dude holding a dcb flag ;)
Charley, I don't doubt you for a second on any of your comments and I may even buy a DCB someday, and I remember now hearing this from a lessor competitor who claims that Bob said the same thing about their CAT, but couldn't or wouldn't buy because of the aforementioned. Whatever deal may or may not have happend, it's not really any of our business anyway, as long as both parties wound up happy !! :D
right on man.... I just dont want people to get the wrong idea on that scenario, and would have felt unjust by not sharing ;)

Havasu_Dreamin
05-11-2005, 01:39 PM
Yeah. It was hillarious. Here is a guy that can pretty much buy any boat he wants and obviously power it and he was driving a tournament boat!

rivercrazy
05-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Just stuck your thumb up and hitch hike! Only problem is we don't have coolaid onboard! :D

NashvilleBound
05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Buddy of mine out here in TN just ordered a new 28 Bullet with the TCM 900. Do they make any upgrades for my Ilmor 625 yet????

It's Only Money
05-12-2005, 02:01 PM
I just received a copy of the article to be in the June 2005 Powerboat mag with the award to Howard. I think the following paragraph (the last one in the article) says it all:
"We'd love to see a sport boat that can challenge the 28 Bullet. But frankly, nothing right now comes close. It's a winner. Again"
Congrats Gene and Mike. You deserve it. Hard work has been recognized.

BLOWN HOWARD
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
I just received a copy of the article to be in the June 2005 Powerboat mag with the award to Howard. I think the following paragraph (the last one in the article) says it all:
"We'd love to see a sport boat that can challenge the 28 Bullet. But frankly, nothing right now comes close. It's a winner. Again"
Congrats Gene and Mike. You deserve it. Hard work has been recognized.
Make sure KILRTOY reads this as to he loves HOWARDS :eek:

Keith E. Sayre
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
I would also like to congratulate Mike and Gene for these awards. They sell
a great boat(s) and take care of their customers. The quality of their boat
is as good as anyones and the structural side of the equation is by far the
best on the west coast. Keep it up and no you may not sell more than 10
deckboats this or any other year in the future!
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
Lake Havasu City

mbrown2
05-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Congrats to Howard Boats...
GT (on the boards builds some beauties)...
This just in.....from a RELIABLE source :idea: , Shockwave has been using Bayliner to lay up their hulls cause they owe them money for all of the R&D work on the 25 and 29 and for teaching them how to do those Skater wanta-be gel jobs.. :D :D :D j/k....

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-12-2005, 03:44 PM
I guess Howards would be pretty boring to look at if all you keep seeing is the back of it :D :boxingguy

mbrown2
05-12-2005, 03:50 PM
I guess Howards would be pretty boring to look at if all you keep seeing is the back of it :D :boxingguy
Ouch, but so true! :2purples: :wink: :)

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Ouch, but so true! :2purples: :wink: :)
:boxingguy :D YOU KNOW HOW I DO IT,
I guess he could be looking at the back of my boring boat alot also if I wasnt selling it http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1616Shack_Yo_Azz-med.jpg

Steamin' Rice
05-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Congrats to Howard Boats...
GT (on the boards builds some beauties)...
This just in.....from a RELIABLE source :idea: , Shockwave has been using Bayliner to lay up their hulls cause they owe them money for all of the R&D work on the 25 and 29 and for teaching them how to do those Skater wanta-be gel jobs.. :D :D :D j/k....
This was supposed to be top secret :D :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-12-2005, 04:18 PM
This was supposed to be top secret :D :D
SR how's the boat running are you seeing upper 80's now or low 90's

Steamin' Rice
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
SR how's the boat running are you seeing upper 80's now or low 90's
I got it up to about 85 on the 241 toll road a few weeks ago....
No top speed runs yet, but if all goes well I should get some numbers this weekend.. I don't think I will be in the 90's.. Maybe 72-73 .. :P

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-12-2005, 04:26 PM
I got it up to about 85 on the 241 toll road a few weeks ago....
No top speed runs yet, but if all goes well I should get some numbers this weekend.. I don't think I will be in the 90's.. Maybe 72-73 .. :P
72-73 yeah right, I just have 500 and I'm getting 83-85 so I think you will be doing better than that I was thinking 86-90 easy :2purples:

INSman
05-12-2005, 04:26 PM
Naaa, I don't think that will be the case with my NEW setup, unless I happen to run into GT's boat !! :jawdrop: :supp:
Now, I might be lookin' at a Howard when their 34' Bullet comes out in a few years !! :idea: :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
05-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Naaa, I don't think that will be the case with my NEW setup, unless I happen to run into GT's boat !! :jawdrop: :supp:
Now, I might be lookin at a Howard when there 34' Bullet comes out in a few years !! :idea: :D
mmmmm new step up I wonder what can it be

INSman
05-12-2005, 05:01 PM
mmmmm new step up I wonder what can it be
Just a little twin RAYLAR upgrade to 600HP a side :cool:

BLOWN HOWARD
05-12-2005, 07:36 PM
Now, I might be lookin at a Howard when there 34' Bullet comes out in a few years !! :idea: :D
GT'S boat is not the only fast HOWARD out there handing out ass whoopins, better be careful who you mess with if its a bullet.

INSman
05-12-2005, 07:42 PM
GT'S boat is not the only fast HOWARD out there handing out ass whoopins, better be careful who you mess with if its a bullet.
Yeah I know, that is just the more painfully obvious one !! :hammerhea
Besides, I am not here to win any speed races, except for beating Frenchie !! :eek: :D

BLOWN HOWARD
05-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah I know, that is just the more painfully obvious one !! :hammerhea
Besides, I am not here to win any speed races, except for beating Frenchie !! :eek: :D
So when are you two going to line up. I will snap some photo's for ya????

TPI
05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
This has been a hilarious thread. It has covered all kinds of different topics. As far as Howard goes and their 28 Bullet, it does really perform well. From what I have seen, the people that buy a Howard Bullet, are people that put all around performance at the top of their personal list. Interior space is usually second or third. I would also say that Howard Bullet buyers are not 1st time boat buyers. They are experienced boaters that know exactly what they want to do. Their Hulls definately deserve those four awards, and hopefully they will receive four more.

Chase
05-13-2005, 02:23 PM
While over at Howard Custom Boats yesterday I learned that Gene and Mike Willen have just been awarded an UNPRECEDENTED 3rd Powerboat Magazine Award for Product Excxellence for the Howard Custom Boats 28 Bullet. Congratulations guys on a job well done. They are three for three, I understand, when they have taken the Bullet to the Powerboat Magazine trials. The full story will be in the upcoming issue of Powerboat.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/14041404powerboataward_2005_800.jpg
Why is the 2004 trophy smaller?? :)

djunkie
05-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Why is the 2004 trophy smaller?? :)
Powerboat was on a budget that year. :wink:

INSman
05-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Gary, of course you are 110% correct, now just ask Gene to kindly start building my next boat, 34' Howard Bullet !!!!! :wink: :p :D
This has been a hilarious thread. It has covered all kinds of different topics. As far as Howard goes and their 28 Bullet, it does really perform well. From what I have seen, the people that buy a Howard Bullet, are people that put all around performance at the top of their personal list. Interior space is usually second or third. I would also say that Howard Bullet buyers are not 1st time boat buyers. They are experienced boaters that know exactly what they want to do. Their Hulls definately deserve those four awards, and hopefully they will receive four more.

TPI
05-14-2005, 06:36 AM
I am wondering what kind of financial position I will be in when that Big Bullet is ready? I sure would like to set one up with a couple of motors and run it out............................................I am still contemplating running mine out with 14-16 lbs of boost just to see how much more speed the hull has. There is at least 5+ mph more, I am sure of that. The key is, the hull has been tested at high speeds in glass and in chop. It works well in both. So it's no big deal for Howard to build a boat with 800,900, etc..... HP because the boat has been tested way beyond that. I think that is what these performance minded boat buyers are looking at at.

INSman
05-14-2005, 06:57 AM
Alright Gary, you talked me into it. 50/50, that way, neither has to take the big hit when this beast is ready and you can get the best deal from Gene anyway !! :cool:
I am wondering what kind of financial position I will be in when that Big Bullet is ready? I sure would like to set one up with a couple of motors and run it out............................................I am still contemplating running mine out with 14-16 lbs of boost just to see how much more speed the hull has. There is at least 5+ mph more, I am sure of that. The key is, the hull has been tested at high speeds in glass and in chop. It works well in both. So it's no big deal for Howard to build a boat with 800,900, etc..... HP because the boat has been tested way beyond that. I think that is what these preformance minded boat buyers are looking at at.

TPI
05-14-2005, 07:11 AM
Cmon Blane,
Stay focused............................You just got a new boat that you can put hundreds of hours on. You cant think about the next one yet...........its too soon!

INSman
05-14-2005, 09:04 AM
Cmon Blane,
Stay focused............................You just got a new boat that you can put hundreds of hours on. You cant think about the next one yet...........its too soon!
Never TOO soon for me, besides, you know that they are trying to finish the deck and how long it will take to do this new 34' Bullet.. Will be here before you know it, but probably not for 2 years and that will not be too soon for me !

BLOWN HOWARD
05-14-2005, 01:59 PM
Cmon Blane,
Looks who's talking??????????????? Come on Gary how many boats have you had in the last 2yrs. But then again if i had the funds or what ever you got i would do it too. Your having too much fun creating new boats.....

TPI
05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
Here are a couple of humorous facts :D :
Fact 1: I have never wanted a different brand of boat within weeks/months of putting mine on the water. Fact 2: I am always wanting to improve on my own work, Howard just builds from the same mold each time. My 2 25' Bullets were just different colors. I guess this new 28 is composite, but its still the same boat hull. As far as the money goes, I have made sure that "boat money" stays "boat money" and invested it accordingly. We started with a very small boat years ago, fixed it up and sold it. I'll bet I have done that 15 times, and kept the money in the same account(which is hard when your remodeling your house). I can honestly say I love everything about my newest Bullet, but I will be tinkering with the motor from time to time :D
Also: since 02 we have had 4 Howards. Every one was a nice boat. As of now I dont have the time to think about another 6+ months of rigging/fabrication on a new boat. I just have to keep my wife away from that Howard deck boat, or I am going to be in trouble!

BLOWN HOWARD
05-14-2005, 06:10 PM
No get the Deck boat i want to see some one get one and put some good power behind it!!!!!!!!!!! I love to see what your doing next you come up with some awsome ideas hopefully some day i will need your number when it comes time for a new HOWARD!!!!

TPI
05-16-2005, 05:23 AM
I will tell you right now.....................That deck boat looks very good. It looks like a Bullet from the side, and not like a cat at all. I have never had a cat, but this boat is definately looking desireable. With those looks and all of the storage and room inside, it will be a player in the deckboat world.

Boa1277
05-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Congrats to Howard on their award, have very good friend who just purchased a new Howard and he spent upwards of 130,000 for 20 something foot boat, the moment he got it home he rubbed out the Howard logo on the side of the boat, his reasoning was he diddn't even get a sea trial or any instructions on how to use the boat or how any of the electronics worked, so why give them the free advertising, in fact Gene treated him like sh-- after the boat was finished this really left a sour taste in his mouth for the whole Howard organization. Now I am not naming names or sizes because he doesnt even know I am posting this so I will leave personal stuff personal until I talk to him I just wondered if anyone else has had this type of experience I would love to here about it.

NashvilleBound
05-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Also: since 02 we have had 4 Howards......
WOW Must be rough, but someone has to do it! lol..... just giving you a hard time Gary... :D :D :D

TPI
05-17-2005, 05:13 AM
Congrats to Howard on their award, have very good friend who just purchased a new Howard and he spent upwards of 130,000 for 20 something foot boat, the moment he got it home he rubbed out the Howard logo on the side of the boat, his reasoning was he diddn't even get a sea trial or any instructions on how to use the boat or how any of the electronics worked, so why give them the free advertising, in fact Gene treated him like sh-- after the boat was finished this really left a sour taste in his mouth for the whole Howard organization. Now I am not naming names or sizes because he doesnt even know I am posting this so I will leave personal stuff personal until I talk to him I just wondered if anyone else has had this type of experience I would love to here about it.
That sounds like an unusual experience to me. I would really be interested in hearing both parties involved tell their sides before I pass any judgement. Regardless, I am sorry to hear about any hard feelings that someone has with any manufacturer, when they purchase a new boat. As far as taking the name off the boat, that is unfortunate, but if it makes the new owner feel better, more power to him.(logo or no logo, no mistaking a new Howard on the water).

Essex502
05-17-2005, 05:44 AM
1) If he didn't get a "sea trial" he didn't want one or was too busy.
2) Every customer I've seen at Howard has been treated like family. Your "friend" should come on here and tell his side of the issue. Hearsay is C.S.
I love these anonymous "hit" posts that come out of nowhere and especially when it is the first post for someone who registered yesterday. Yeah, right...this is REALLY a believeable post.

Kilrtoy
05-17-2005, 06:20 AM
Make sure KILRTOY reads this as to he loves HOWARDS :eek:
No speakie SPENGLISH
No comprende

05-17-2005, 06:38 AM
I'll have to say that I had a polar opposite experience. I was by no means an easy customer. I took over a year to buy and I wanted everything "my way". I was always treated with respect and all of my crazy requests were greeted with "No problem". The sea trial was on a perfect day, windy & choppy at Castaic, perfect to show off the ride. My boat was also delivered to me on the lake (20MPH wind, white caps) and I was given complete instructions on everything even though I've been boating for 20 years. I was welcome to check on the boat at any time during the build process (which I did) and even made some changes along the way (I know, I'm a pain). But bottom line, I got a boat that I couldn't be happier with and I tell EVERYONE! :D Sorry to hear about your friend, but I bet he loves his boat!
Congrats Howard on the well deserved award!
http://www2.***boat.com/image_center/data/522/2442DSC01561a-med.jpg

acatitude
05-17-2005, 06:47 AM
What a great post.lol. insman can't anyone get a little credit? whats the rub with HOWARD BOATS? hey they got an award and are great boat builders, so give them there do boy. guess I'm prejudice cuzz I own a 26 howard cat 2000 model that still looks show room fresh. not a crack in the hull and its been run hard in big water and high speeds. Gene builds great boats gives great C.S. and that is why he is successful.
There are a lot of good new boat builders out there also, but HOWARDS been around a while and deserves the cudos they get.

Boa1277
05-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Ok, I did talk to my friend and he will be on here tonight just to see what kind of response I got to my post, I will let him take over and tell his side (if he chooses to) as far as my first post and me trying to hide my identity please e-mail me at jje1277@hotmail.com and I will gladly exchange phone numbers with anyone who would like to. As far as the quality of the boat that I will personally vouch for as being excellent the boat was very well made, I am not trying to bag on the quality I was just wondering if everyone had a great experience with the customer service side of the buisness. I know that I was treated very well when I purchased my Schiada(no plug intended) so I would expect the same type of treatment from Howard considering they are two of the premiere builders.

dr. margarita
05-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Just checked in with Gene last Thursday and gawked at the deck boat molds. They are simply flawless. This boat will definately raise more than just eye brows. GT in a cat?! That'll be the day!

INSman
05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
What a great post.lol. insman can't anyone get a little credit? whats the rub with HOWARD BOATS? hey they got an award and are great boat builders, so give them there do boy. guess I'm prejudice cuzz I own a 26 howard cat 2000 model that still looks show room fresh. not a crack in the hull and its been run hard in big water and high speeds. Gene builds great boats gives great C.S. and that is why he is successful.
There are a lot of good new boat builders out there also, but HOWARDS been around a while and deserves the cudos they get.
Never said they don't make a very nice boat or deserve the awards they are receiving, just didn't work for me personally this particular purchase, as I was looking for certain things to make the wife happy, which did not include probably the most efficient and fastest 28' "V" hull in the market.

Troubles No More
05-17-2005, 01:19 PM
Boa1277
Sorry to hear your friend had problems, I never had a single problem. In fact, I had a great experience purchasing from Howard. I worked with Mike and Gene - very helpful, gave suggestions, patient, informative and very friendly. The follow-through was excellent. I also had great assistance from Mike and the guys in the shop with the graphics for the boat and service after the sale. I think the product quality and customer service is excellent. my.02

plaster dave
05-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Ok if your friend was treated bad then I feel bad for him. I walked into the showroom and talked to Gene about the boat I wanted to purchase. Now I am sleeved down both arms and dont look or dress like I have money (ie) watches, jewlery, nice clothes ect. I wear shorts and tshirts all the time and Genne was great to deal with. He did take me to the lake with the boat helped me after the purchase and when ever I see him or Mike they are both very nice and helpful with any questions I have. I am very happy with my Howard and being part of the Howard family.
Congratulation Gene and Mike and everyone at Howard.

TPI
05-17-2005, 07:55 PM
Its good to see customers come out and post the posiitive experiences they have had at Howard, to a post that was started by a guy making a positive statement. I personally talked to a gentleman from back east the other day, that said he spent 10 hours at Howard with Gene looking at 28's and he really enjoyed his time there. I think that's great.

Boa1277
05-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Well the verdict is out and a great big apology goes to Howard and Gene in particular, my friend had a long conversation with Gene today, and what I perceived as customer disservice, was more of me hearing one side of the story and putting my spin on it, I owe an apology to the Howard organization for speaking for someone or something with out all of the facts, (there are two sides to every story) I had no idea I would be creating a firestorm that was created, I definitely put my foot in my mouth and hopefully it will not sway anyone now or in the future towards purchasing or considering a Howard boat. Like I said in previous posts Howard is one of the premiere boat builders out there, overall quality, fit and finish they are very hard to beat, and if you have read any of the prior posts they do very well with customer service, I vouch for that one, you should see all of the loyal customers who have contacted me to plead their case, and take up for Howard, it has made a believer out of me the last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt anyone. :lightsabe

djunkie
05-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Well the verdict is out and a great big apology goes to Howard and Gene in particular, my friend had a long conversation with Gene today, and what I perceived as customer disservice, was more of me hearing one side of the story and putting my spin on it, I owe an apology to the Howard organization for speaking for someone or something with out all of the facts, (there are two sides to every story) I had no idea I would be creating a firestorm that was created, I definitely put my foot in my mouth and hopefully it will not sway anyone now or in the future towards purchasing or considering a Howard boat. Like I said in previous posts Howard is one of the premiere boat builders out there, overall quality, fit and finish they are very hard to beat, and if you have read any of the prior posts they do very well with customer service, I vouch for that one, you should see all of the loyal customers who have contacted me to plead their case, and take up for Howard, it has made a believer out of me the last thing I ever wanted to do was hurt anyone. :lightsabe
Apology accepted. That was big of you to come back and say this. I own a Howard but I bought it used. I have called Gene and Mike a couple times with questions about it and they were very helpful to me, even though my boat is 16 years old. :D

finally
05-19-2005, 05:27 PM
I am here to try to clear up the customer service issue. My wife and I would like to say that our exsperience dealing with gene and his son mike was great . We did not get to run the boat prior too deliver and that was not in genes control . The reason for this was because we choose a motor that was not one of his packages. The first time it hit the water was in parker, at that time we discoverd there was a small problem , I felt if we had run the boat before I took, it the problem could have been handled by the professionals instead of me . In the end with the support from mike , gene and bill I was able to resolve the problem. I would like to say that as soon as gene heard about this issue he contacted me to find out what could be done . I say there is no issue. To date the boat has performed flawlessly, there is 25 hours on it . The ride is fantastic ,handling is even better!. The motor is from paul pfaff and it is awesome!. I highly recomend this combo you wont be disappointed!!! Howards custom Boats are the best ! I would never have purchased one if I didnt feel so. I hope this answers any questions that you have about my friends comments.

plaster dave
05-19-2005, 05:36 PM
That sounds more like it. See you at the regatta.

Troubles No More
05-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Post a pic of your boat so we can find at the regatta in July..Maybe set up a match race with GT..............

plaster dave
05-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Well Jimmy will run him.

05-19-2005, 06:21 PM
Good to hear that all is resolved. My Howard is PERFECT (am I biased or what!). See you all at the regatta, I just came back from lake testing a few modifications......

TPI
05-19-2005, 08:32 PM
Very cool of these guys to come on here and clear the air. I really like to see things like this get resolved with the involved parties. Also: What's going on with all of the GT racing challenges(LOL), I was built for comfort not speed, besides my wife will be in the boat with me, and she thinks this is our family boat. I might show up with something else under the hatch? You never know.............................................. ....Jimmy would smoke me anyway!

05-19-2005, 09:38 PM
Very cool of these guys to come on here and clear the air. I really like to see things like this get resolved with the involved parties. Also: What's going on with all of the GT racing challenges(LOL), I was built for comfort not speed, besides my wife will be in the boat with me, and she thinks this is our family boat. I might show up with something else under the hatch? You never know.............................................. ....Jimmy would smoke me anyway!
I've ridden in it (thanks Gary) and I'm not sure anyone wants to take this boat on! It's not often one can eclipse 100 without spilling a martini! :cool:

INSman
05-19-2005, 10:04 PM
I've ridden in it (thanks Gary) and I'm not sure anyone wants to take this boat on! It's not often one can eclipse 100 without spilling a martini! :cool:
What, no pics, no specs !! :frown: :( :messedup: :D

roln 20s
05-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Gary- you are so humble. I've been lucky enough to ride in both your and Jimmy's bullet--just when I thought no excelleration could ever come close to Jimmy's-- I was in your boat...and we weren't even on it. I would be more than happy to own (even ride in for that matter) either boat. Both are beautiful...and perfect. With your current setup- you would pull away from Jimmy, but only after the 100 mph mark :)
BTW- Boa1277-- great post and great appology. Very well said, very professional, and very cool of you to do. Now all you need to do is buy a Howard :)
Roln 20s

TPI
05-20-2005, 05:54 AM
I have a ton of respect for Jimmy's turbo Bullet. I can only imagine how hard those turbo's pull. I can think of two more 28 Bullet's that run well over 100 mph. Hopefully they will make it out for the regatta. I just cant wait to see all of those Howard boats out there at once.

BLOWN HOWARD
05-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Does anybody have a schedule of times and events going on for the Howard deal?????

Troubles No More
05-20-2005, 08:13 AM
I don’t now how to post the flyer, You will find all the info at the jokerswild web site.
http://www.jokerswildpromotions.com/events.php

BLOWN HOWARD
05-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Got it thanks.

Essex502
05-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Back to the theme of the thread: Congrats Mike and Gene!